Oligohydramnios

WhosThatGirl

Mommy of 4 amazing kids!
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Oligohydramnios (too little amniotic fluid) is something that once you have had it, you are at risk for future pregnancies to have it?

I had my first 2 kids, text book pregnancies by the book. My last child I went in for a scan at 35 weeks after having had some problems for a few weeks, and I had severe low fluid. I guess the AFI level was supposed to be like 12-20 or something and mine was 3.

I had to stay in the hospital on strict bedrest hooked up to the monitors only allowed up to potty as needed and shower 1x a day until I delivered my daughter. I was getting scans done every other day and had iv hydration in hopes of raising my fluid. After one scan it was determined the fluid had dropped more and the risk of her compressing her cord was just to much so after that, they induced me at 37 weeks 1 day but due to the low fluid she had stalled growth and immature lungs, and the NICU estimated her to be equal to a 32-34 weeker. She had 9 more hospital stays during her first 2 years of life, equaling about 2.5 months of her life total all with breathing problems which she has thankfully since pretty much outgrown. She is now 5 and big and healthy with the exception of Asthma, and she has been hospital free for 3 years now.

I'm just wondering if anybody knew if I am more at risk for a repeat case of Oligohydramnios or if it is really just a per case basis. I intend to talk about it with the Dr at my next appointment.

I am also hoping that even if it does not put me at risk for having it again I can still convince the dr for more frequent scans to make sure the fluid level is staying at a safe level. It was scarey last time, had I not changed Dr's so late in my pregnancy and the new Dr had not ordered that scan, my daughter could have compressed her own cord and been stillborn. It still haunts me to this day thinking how it could have been a totally different outcome.

I am no doctor but I have read that it depends on the cause of the oligohydramnios. There's some info here.

In my case we never knew what caused it. Though the weeks before the scan I had been having my blood pressure rising but it was not preeclampsia. I also had some decreased fetal movments but she was still moving the acceptable amount each day, just not as much as she had been moving but we just figured it was since she was getting more cramped in there. Finally my midwife couldn't figure out what was going on with me and so she transfered me to a higher risk Dr and they did the scan and figured out what was going on right away. But they never knew WHY it happened. I'm now seeing the same dr this time around but at my 1st appt they did not have my records (they were archived since my daughter is now 5.5) and they should have my chart notes from last time by my next appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->