Olive skin & the sun

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
I really don't know much about olive skin (I'm fair but tan well/don't burn easily but will burn... OH is olive skinned and tans within literal minutes outside and has had 1 sunburn in his life :wacko:)... but my 2 year old has olive skin...

I've been putting SPF 60 baby sunscreen on her and a hat... but she will still tan in like 30 minutes? I reapply, have her come to the shade a lot, she's well hydrated while we're out, etc..

I just want to know what is normal... I know people with the olive skin are at a lower risk for skin cancers than say people with fair skin and freckles but I still worry about her sun exposure, I'm not worried about her burning but I know that tans are unhealthy too?

my lo is mixed raced we use a lower sun cream as his dad has vitamin d problems if she has olive skin then she does need more sun than a fair child as it takes her body longer to produce vitamin d the spealicst told us. we use a factor 20 and reapply alot. x

My LO is half Chinese (I am fair skinned and blue eyed). We use SPF 50 (generally the highest here), hat, shade (when we can keep him in it!) and keep him well hydrated. He still tans very easily.

You do all you can do, the only alternative is dressing them from head to toe and keeping them indoors (and away from the windows).... :winkwink:

QT

my girlie has olive type skin, the nice skin that goes brown and doesnt burn anyway!!
im pale and burn all the time.
I always smother her in factor 30 or higher and do so throughout the day, maybe 4 times, more if its really hot or shes gotten wet.

She still goes a beautiful colour no matter how much cream i put on
xxxx

Molly is olive skinned and tans easy like her dad. We use spf50 etc so no burning which is the main thing. My husband lived in Indonesia from 2-7 and was very dark but never burnt,it's just the way his skin goes,I wouldn't worry.

o i was wondering this too, glad i glancd over to the toddler stage...Kayson has gone really tanned on his face and hands, and he is usually slathered in the stuff! i dont feel so bad now xx

As long as you put the lotion on to protect from the harmful rays thats all that matters
You still tan with lotion on so i wouldnt worry

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"