OMG..Cant beleive what Ive done..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by kaleidoscope, Dec 18, 2009.

1. kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope Mum of 4,expecting a 5th!

its not my day today:cry:...hubby and I picked up one of those indian meals for two from Tesco and I had chicken korma,..heated it in the microwave for the recommended time..it looked hot when it came out....

just ideally reading a pregnancy book and it says do not eat them at all...,I thought they were fine if properly cooked:wacko:..so I googled and the general advice is to avoid them as they are one of the prime culprits for listeria:cry:

now Im questioning if I cooked it properly..doubting myself..its just a crap end to a crap day..and now Im blubbing my eyes out convinced my baby is going to die of listeria

2. KamKol

KamKol Mother of one

Oh hun, you'll be fine! The chances of catching listeria is the same as when you're not pregnant. :hugs:

3. samzi

samzi mummy to issy,alice&luke

you will be fine, i have had loads of them type of curries!

4. kaleidoscope

apparently the illness can take up to 3 months to develop..and doctors cant test your blood for it unless you actually develop symptoms...:wacko:

5. NickyT75

NickyT75 RIP Sophie my angel

You will be fine!

these 'guidelines' are just guidelines and ive never known anyone catch listeria from any supermarket ready meals have you??

Stop fretting hun :hugs: the hygiene standards are scrupulously high for this sort of thing (I've worked in the food industry for the past 11yrs) its just not gonna happen... the manufacturers simply cannot afford for people to be getting ill as it would harm their businessess

Relax :hugs: xx

6. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

What books or sites are you reading? I've never heard of one saying steaming hot chicken korma ready meal is a source of listeria?

Take all these things with a grain of salt, really. I'm sure women here have been in more car accidents than had poisoning from listeria - yet no baby book says not to get into a vehicle!

7. 05wilkesm

05wilkesm Guest

ive always thought if the ready meals were piping hot they were fine,
    some of the guidelines are aload of crap in my opinion as im sure a few years ago pregnant women were eating ready meals and being told it was fine.
    ive never got listeria when i werent pregnant so i dont see why i should worry about it now :shrug:
    try not too worry so much! :hug:
    xxx

8. kaleidoscope

some sites I picked up on google and also my big pregnancy book which my MW gave me....the general advice seems to be avoid hence my fear...

9. pinktaffy

pinktaffy Well-Known Member

i wouldnt worry about it. if we didnt do anything we wasnt suposed to we wouldnt go out or eat. i would read the main things what 2 do and what not to but u cant go by every little thing u would be a a nervous wreck.

10. kaleidoscope

well I actually cooked it for a minute extra so in theory it should be fine? I cant belive how much you cannot eat these days..when I was pregnant 19 years ago..I ate just about everything on the banned list!

11. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

I have been eating a few too many ready meals (not loads, but I had one for lunch a few days when I was in the US) and I was thinking they're probably not too good for me...but Bean has the strongest heartbeat ever and is growing properly, so I wouldn't worry. I heated the meals through for the max recommended time (eg it says "heat for another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes so I did 1 1/2 when I usually would've done 1). I also had some soft serve ice-cream before remembering I wasn't really allowed it - it was pretty gross anyway, so I only had about 1/16 of it! :lol:

Don't panic, our ancestors would've eaten loads more crap than we do, drank alcohol, smoked and so on... The guidelines vary all over the place and some of them are really over the top, just use common sense, heat through food properly and don't eat rotten things and you'll be fine. :hugs:

I felt awful tonight because I had about 1/4 of a pint of shandy, not good, but there are people out there who binge drink (and I don't think my guilt will let me touch alcohol again this pregnancy... :lol:) but even DH, who has been telling me I am not allowed ANY alcohol at all, ever, omg, omg, never....said it's fine! I was just over-reacting because I felt like I had let Bean down. We all do it, but most of the time we really are over-worrying. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy :hugs:

xx

12. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I looked at the 'do not eat list' and then put it in the shredder. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation.

13. maybebaby3

maybebaby3 Proud mum of 4!

i'm sure if u cooked it according 2 the packaging u will b fine. i tend not 2 use the microwave 4 ready meals if possible and use the oven instead but i do eat them!!!

14. kaleidoscope

well our oven takes about half a hour to heat up..lol and I was hungry so I chucked it in the microwave..DH keeps telling me not to worry, saying I probably nuked it!

will look out for any symptoms and if I get any will speak to the hospital

15. JessiHD

JessiHD Mummy to Joshua :)

NHS Advice:
    Listeria

Listeriosis is a flu-like illness which you can get from food that contains listeria bacteria. Although it’s rare in the UK, listeriosis can cause stillbirth, miscarriage or severe illness in newborn babies.

Don't eat foods where high levels of listeria are occasionally found. For example:

* Soft and blue veined cheeses, such as camembert, brie and stilton. There’s no risk of listeria from hard cheese such as cheddar or from cottage cheese or processed cheese.
    * Pâté: all types of pâté, including vegetable pâté.
    * Some prepared salads, such as potato salad and coleslaw.
    * Ready meals or reheated food, unless they’re piping hot all the way through.

As long as they are well cooked it's fine. I've had them too, don't stress about it.

16. dali

dali Well-Known Member

i agree you will be fine , as long as it was hot all the way through you have nothing to worry about :)

17. kaleidoscope

well if its cooked as per the instructions..it should have been hot shouldnt it? the first bit of chicken i bit into burnt my mouth!..but the rest wasnt as hot..however ive put this down to it cooling down..it was steaming when it came out of the microwave

18. Louise N

Louise N Guest

I didn't even know about the risk from Ready/Prepared meals.

The list seems to get longer every time I look into what we can and can't eat - soon a pregnant ladys diet will be so limited we'll be having to avoid more than what we can eat - & that can't be good for baby! :growlmad:

19. JessiHD

JessiHD Mummy to Joshua :)

I had a glass of mulled wine last night, and don't feel guilty at all. There is no evidence that low levels of alcohol occasionally will hurt baby especially this far on. The one thing I do really want is pate but I won't touch that for another 3 months!

20. xpatchx

xpatchx Wife, Mummy and pregnant!

I've had indian, chinese, KFC. I've not gotten sick. It's just the CHANCES. You've not gotten it before, you won't get it now. My mum ate peanutsm, brie, salami, PATE everything with me. Granted I came out a bit ditzy, but I'm sure thats not the food =P Don't worry, have a cuppa, and relax. You've done NOTHING wrong honey x