Omg, the awkward transition from 1st tri to 2nd tri. Is she fat or pregnant? :'-(

calm81

Reaction score
I will be 12 weeks tomorrow, which means 2nd trimester in one week. I'm used to having a flat tummy and no love handles, (except when I sit down I would have a little belly), and trim arms and legs.

I looked into the mirror and the fat is spreading all over my body. My face is fluffier, my arms look meatier with no defined toning. My usually skinny legs are starting to touch when I stand straight. NOTE: I'm not being mean about anyone with extra weight, I'm just venting about my new shape that I'm not used to.

I'm still wearing my pre pregnancy jeans but developing a muffin top (google it if unfamiliar with term, lol), my last pregnancy I was ALL belly and when facing backwards never looked pregnant.

Is it normal to develop soft, squishy fat BEFORE the baby makes it's way up to my belly? Like, my body is making available stretching room prior to baby getting big enough for its new living area?

I know I always gain a lot in first trimester then my weight gain STOPS in the later stages, but I've already put on 14 pounds. :cry: I haven't been eating like a big, but more than I'm used to. I haven't been as active as I was told to take it easy until my hemorrhage resolves itself. Then I will get back to swimming and speed walking.

Anyone else experiencing the,"Is she or isn't she?" stage. Actually, the way I look, pregnancy doesn't even look like an option since it's hitting arms, legs, sides of stomach, mostly.

:cry::cry:

I feel ya on that awkward in between stage. I have an appointment tomorrow to see what I've gained....I don't think I've gained much yet but I am definitely developing what looks like a beer belly! Haha I don't know whether to push it out further to make it look more obviously pregnant or to suck it in and try to hide it!

I feel ya on that awkward in between stage. I have an appointment tomorrow to see what I've gained....I don't think I've gained much yet but I am definitely developing what looks like a beer belly! Haha I don't know whether to push it out further to make it look more obviously pregnant or to suck it in and try to hide it!

Hahahaha, yesterday I was feeling so blah about my body and felt like everyone was secretly judging me as I was shopping for food for our cookout and so I forcefully protruded my belly a bit so it would look rounder. "Beer belly" too funny!

I have my 12 week appointment tomorrow, too! Not looking forward to the weigh in.

Haha I "liked" this post because this is exactly me. The decision between letting the belly hang all out or suck in the little that is showing. Haha, lies tough decisions.

I am already very overweight and I am definitely in the OMG your belly is huge phase. I havent gained any weight but i have this giant "B" belly now. I am just praying for the day when whats left of my waist decides to pop out and give me a pregnancy bump instead of this fat tummy.

Add me to that is she pregnant? Or fat? List...

Maternity pants will round that muffin top right out, and feel so good too lol
My face is getting puffier too:(

Maternity pants will round that muffin top right out, and feel so good too lol
My face is getting puffier too:(

I'm thinking about starting the maternity pants early, also. I did that with my previous pregnancy and felt so much cuter. I get the ones that are like skinny jeans but have that hidden band at the top. :thumbup:

I found some at old navy that button and zip and just have 2 stretchy panels on the side, very nice!

I found some at old navy that button and zip and just have 2 stretchy panels on the side, very nice!

I just may take a trip to Old Navy after my scan appointment today. Thanks for the tip, They're more economically friendly than motherhood maternity or pea and a pod.

I haven't gained as much as you (I had a good headstart, though), but I definitely expanded all over during the first few weeks of the first trimester. Over the last few weeks, it looks like it's finally starting to shift towards my belly. I look fat in some stuff (a friend of my brother offered me a beer when I was in a baggy shirt the other day), and really obviously pregnant in the right maternity clothes (over the bump jeans and a form fitting shirt). Try to dress to highlight the pregnancy as much as you can, and you'll probably feel much better about how you look. And remember, the "is she fat or pregnant??" stage is temporary. I bet you start getting a good bump soon.

You can also walk around rubbing your belly and talking loudly about baby stuff all the time ;)

I haven't gained as much as you (I had a good headstart, though), but I definitely expanded all over during the first few weeks of the first trimester. Over the last few weeks, it looks like it's finally starting to shift towards my belly. I look fat in some stuff (a friend of my brother offered me a beer when I was in a baggy shirt the other day), and really obviously pregnant in the right maternity clothes (over the bump jeans and a form fitting shirt). Try to dress to highlight the pregnancy as much as you can, and you'll probably feel much better about how you look. And remember, the "is she fat or pregnant??" stage is temporary. I bet you start getting a good bump soon.

You can also walk around rubbing your belly and talking loudly about baby stuff all the time ;)

I'm hoping it starts to shift towards the belly also. I've never been chunky before and my last pregnancy I was so active that I only gained the minimum needed. This pregnancy the doctors asked me to take it easy because I had a hemorrhage. Yesterdays scan showed the hemorrhage well on its way to being over, so I can be active again.

My husband brought out the treadmill yesterday and I'm back to walking on it and doing light yard work to get the muscles moving again.

The main thing that is keeping me sane is the fact that I ALWAYS gain a lot in the first trimester then barely any in the last two.

Thanks for your input. :flower:

Same here, I am a runner but bc of a hemmorage I've not been able to do anything! So being sedentary is catching up. My scan is tomorrow and I hope mine is gone or almost gone too! I have been taking walks however, but always slowly and not too far, so I'm hoping I get the go ahead. I wouldnt risk my babies of course, but I think it's healthy to be active. Plus I have a beach vacation next week and I love to take long walks on the sand!

Haha!! I am so with you here.... Even though I have been working out and I try to watch what I am eating I still feel like a cow! Can't wait for a definite belly to pop out.

I hope you get some good news Lanet!

I've never been super active, but I've always been a walker. I had some pelvic pain that got pretty bad for awhile in first trimester, and it really limited what I could do. It still gets achy if I overdo it, but at least now it feels better in the morning... It's no fun being grounded on the couch, even for lazy people like me. We're doing a 5k walk at the end of the month, and I really hope I don't end up quitting halfway through and begging some random person to let me sit on their porch til DH finishes and can pick me up in the car :p

Oh man, I'm in the same boat. In the last couple of days I've noticed that I'm chunkier around the middle, and I've always been very slim. But it doesn't look like a baby bump, it just looks like fat! I've definitely gained weight but I wish it was more obviously because of a baby.

I think it can be common for thinner women to gain a little bit of extra weight early on. Apparently your body will naturally try to store some extra fat to sustain the pregnancy, while people with a little extra weight already have enough to sustain the pregnancy. This is what I've read anyway. And this is my second pregnancy and I am noticing I've gained more all over than I did at this point last time too.

I hate that stage! I'm slim but I have a little pooch (have had it all my life!) and my growing baby pushes the pooch up and out and it looks ridiculous. But I remember two things: (1) my body is doing something amazing right now and it's not my place to judge it; and (2) it's not the worst thing in the world if people think you gained a couple of pounds. I know I certainly don't judge my friends if they happen to have gained a little weight, and I know my friends won't be judgmental with me.

Don't suck in! Ugh, exhausting. Wear flowy tops and save your energy for baking up a baby.

Same here, I am a runner but bc of a hemmorage I've not been able to do anything! So being sedentary is catching up. My scan is tomorrow and I hope mine is gone or almost gone too! I have been taking walks however, but always slowly and not too far, so I'm hoping I get the go ahead. I wouldnt risk my babies of course, but I think it's healthy to be active. Plus I have a beach vacation next week and I love to take long walks on the sand!

I wish you the best of luck with your scan tomorrow, I know how scary and nerve wrecking it can be waiting for the doctor to say the results.

Nice walk on the sand sounds great right about now :) Enjoy your vacation, girlie!!! :flower:

I hope you get some good news Lanet!

I've never been super active, but I've always been a walker. I had some pelvic pain that got pretty bad for awhile in first trimester, and it really limited what I could do. It still gets achy if I overdo it, but at least now it feels better in the morning... It's no fun being grounded on the couch, even for lazy people like me. We're doing a 5k walk at the end of the month, and I really hope I don't end up quitting halfway through and begging some random person to let me sit on their porch til DH finishes and can pick me up in the car :p

"I really hope I don't end up quitting halfway through and begging some random person to let me sit on their porch til DH finishes and can pick me up in the car" :haha: That last part made me giggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->