Omg thrush!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by AussieBub, Oct 12, 2013.

1. AussieBub

AussieBub Mum to 1DD & 1DS

My first day being back at home after being discharged from hospital, I noticed I was a little swollen down there. Thought nothing of it as baby has been pushing down really hard and I just put it down to bubbas head blocking the blood flow, which is a normal occurrence in pregnancy.

But then last night it started getting really itchy and today OMG! I'm fairly certain it's thrush but my DH won't let me use any treatments until I get it checked by a doctor. I'm seeing a consultant on Tuesday and not sure she can do anything about it tbh and I can't get seen before then unless I go A&E which I don't really wanna do. So DH has bought me a tub of organic bio live yogurt on his mum's recommendation to help ease the itching until I can get it seen. Omg it's driving me insane! Never had thrush before and really don't want to ever get it again!

-AussieBub

2. IsabellaJayne

IsabellaJayne Mum of 2 girls, pregnant with baby GIRL #3

I had it at 24 weeks and midwife prescribed me with a vaginal pessary. Was pretty disgusting but worked really well. Felt relief after 24 hours :)

3. AussieBub

See I'm worried they'll prescribe me a pessary because I struggle to even use tampons. I've never been able to ever get one to stay in. I'm not weird shaped or anything but they would just slide back out as soon as I stated walking. So I've never used them, only ever pads. I'm worried I'll have the same issue with a pessary. Hopefully I can get a cream and/or tablet instead.

-AussieBub

4. MBGibbs

MBGibbs Well-Known Member

Yeah I had thrush early on and it was AWFUL. In the end I felt like taking a knife and chopping off my lady bits. I also was prescribed the pessary and had the exact same concerns as you as I can't use tampons due to discomfort - I used it just before I went to sleep so as I was lying down, and it was completely fine, although they say do not use the applicator when pregnant, so you just have to put it in yourself. I put off using it for ages because of my fear of it, but in the end the problem got so bad, i was forced to relent.
    It solved the problem xxx

5. whittnie117

whittnie117 Well-Known Member

Here is something simple that may help a bit. Baking Soda bath. a cup of baking soda in the bath and soak in it for about 20 minutes. I did this for about 30-40 minutes personally. I also put more baking soda in the bath than just a cup. My infection cleared up after three days. I was suffering from it for a week. It was bad. I took the bath once in the morning and once at night (or whenever I got really irritated/itchy). Then I dried really well down there and let myself air dry the rest of the way. It helped the irritation/swolleness/itchiness for about 2 hours or longer which, as you know, is way better than no relief at all.

I had OH go out and get about 6 boxes and I lined them up in the bathroom for easy access and so I didn't run out in the middle of the night.

Also, only wear cotton undies right now. That will let the air get through to keep you dryer. The moister you are, the more the infection will irritate. And change undies often!

I hope you get some relief soon.

The yogurt is a good idea for in between baths too. Oh and try not to use any kind of wipe (like baby wipes or feminine wipes) because they throw off the already imbalanced ph and will make it worse. I made that mistake!

6. Clo

Clo mum 2 an angel boy, and 2 rainbow boys

*hugs hun* Hope u can get it seen to soon and get rid of it xxx

7. maisiemoo

maisiemoo Well-Known Member

Thrush has come hand in hand with this pregnancy, it's driven me insane as the moment I'm clear it returns. You could try using the external cream until you get something else prescribed to help relieve the itching.

8. Sherley

Sherley One of each!

I had it this week, it was awful! I must say the pessary used overnight gave immediate relief. You can't use the oral tablet in pregnancy though....I just phoned my GP and spoke to someone on the phone, they left me a prescription without even seeing me. Feel better soon x

9. AussieBub

Well I've been applying the yogurt and it immediately irritates and I instantly regret applying it but then after about 10 mins the irritation and itchiness starts to ease.

I wash the area thoroughly with just water in between applications and use the hairdryer on the cold setting to completely dry the area before applying the yogurt. Oh and I do change undies with every application. Really hoping the consultant can help on Tuesday. We're in the process of switching from one gp to the other so I can't get an appointment with a gp atm. And I'd really rather not go to A&E about it. DH is reluctant to buy any creams because they all say on the packets not to use in pregnancy so I really need someone to tell us what we can use. Might try the baking soda bath actually, thanks for the suggestion!

-AussieBub

10. MissLex123

MissLex123 Well-Known Member

Dont understand why your doc is making such as fuss.. i told my doc over the phone I had Thrush a few weeks back, she prescribed me a supository and a cream and it was gone in 3 days. I know how annoying it is though :/

11. Sherley

Sherley One of each!

You can use the canesten cream in pregnancy no problem. If its internal though I think you'll need the pessary to get rid of it. Oh the joys! X

12. AussieBub

I've never had thrush before so I don't know if it's internal or not but I don't think it is. I just felt like the lips were a bit swollen and then a day later they started itching. Yogurt has been helping to ease the itchiness though thankfully. DH went to the store last night and it says on all the Canesten boxes that it can't be used in pregnancy. I of course have heard differently but he didn't want to spend £11 on some cream that could potentially do harm to me or the baby...so he bought yogurt instead lol. I don't blame him though, I've had so many health problems lately that I can understand him not wanting to take any risks with my health if the product itself says don't use in pregnancy.

-AussieBub

13. cat123456

cat123456 mummy of 2 and expecting

I am on my third pregnancy hav had thrush with every one. Canisten cream is perfectly fine to use. I woke up this morning with it out of th blue and thank god i had some external cream left!! I soooo would not use yogurt on my lady bits lol x

14. Foxy37

Foxy37 Well-Known Member

ive got it i think but its not up my foo foo its near my wee hole , im not sure if its where ive left my hair to grow (unable to reach it )
    I have a wax booked for Saturday .
    Ive used canistan cream and hope it goes soon as i want to scratch and scratch and scratch :winkwink:

15. cat123456

cat123456 mummy of 2 and expecting

Lol its terrible i was sooo itchy i felt like humpin my man just to get a gd internal itch x

16. Foxy37

Foxy37 Well-Known Member

:haha: this made me laugh but is so true xx

17. AussieBub

Yeah the itch doesn't feel internal, it's just the lips that feel itchy to be honest. As weird as putting the yogurt on down there, it does help to ease the itchiness.

-AussieBub