One breast not making enough milk?

Tiger22

Reaction score
I'm worried one of my breasts is not making enough milk.. Lo crys and struggles with it and so I tried pumping both and a lot less did come out of this side. Should I start regularly pumping this side to have it catch up? Also, if you pump after feeding does that lower your supply for the next feeding? Thanks

It's normal for one breast to produce less than the other. I would put her on that breast first every time she needs a feed. You can pump if you'd like, it's not going to create any less for the next feed as the pump will signal that you need to produce MORE milk. Assuming your LO is still only a few weeks old I don't think it'd be necessary to pump at all though... it should sort itself out somewhat when your supply establishes.

Is her latch okay on that side?

my left produced less. but now it produces quiet a lot. my LO was on my breasts almost all the time until 8 weeks. now i got a lot of milk. he changed his drinking like now he only drinks ones - twice A LOT but for a short time, while on his awake time. i think i am still adjusting to that new change. now my breasts always feel full. before he was chain feeding then they seemed empty.

I think her latch is ok.. I can still see a lot of the aerola.. But it seems like she is swallowing normally..I will try starting with that side every time now. Today when I changed my breast pads the left one was soaked And the right one was completely dry.. Is this normal?

My left side produces more than my right, and it seems to come out easier on the left. When I start pumping both at the same time, my left usually makes it to 2 or 3 ounces before my right makes a full 1 ounce. It seems to come out a lot slower on my right. I always start LO on my right when I feed him. And unless I'm engorged and sleeping on my side, my left will leak and my right won't. lol

My left is produces more too, and has a quicker letdown. At the start Chloe liked the right better, now she's bigger the left is her fave coz she's greedy! I offer the right first, and sometimes again after she's fed off the left too. Uneven supply seems to be pretty common.

My right breast seems to produce less milk then my left. DS has plenty of poop/pee diapers and is gaining weight so I'm not worried about it.

Have you ladies noticed a difference in breast size due to this? The boob that is making less is quite a bit smaller I noticed! Will they even out after I'm done breast feeding or is there something I can do?

I've been BF for a year and my left side has always seemed to have more. I pump more and it leaks more than the right side. They are the same size now, but in the beginning the left side was much bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->