• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

One thread, 5 questions. (I apologise..its long!!!)

Mee_Mummy

Mummy to DS & DD ~ <3
Reaction score
Well here goes...

1) DS still does not have a regular wake time at 17 months old, is this normal? How do i get his to wake at a regular time?

He can wake anywhere between 5 and half 6. This effects his daytime sleep as if he is up at 5am then he will be zonked out by 12pm and will sleep till 2pm.But then he is up for 5 hours before bed and he is so tired and cranky.

2)How do i get DS to sleep later in the am?

No matter what time he goes to bed he will still be up between 5 and 6:30. I am expecting baby number 2 and could really do with getting him to sleep later in the morning.

3) Too young for time out?

When DS doesnt get his own way he'll headbutt the wall, the floor, throw himself about, smack me, smack himself everything. Today we was at a playgroup and a little boy walked into DS accidentally and DS smacked him in the face with both hands!!! I was so shocked i know he does this at home but i never thought he would do it to another child. So i apologised to this little boy and put DS on a play mat and told him he was naughty and to sit there until i get him, so i left him for maybe 30 seconds and went back to see him (he cried the whole time he was sat there and he hadnt moved at all) and i told him he could go and play but he had to be nice and he was fine after that. I gotta nip this behaviour in the bud because it seems to already be getting out of hand.

4) How can i extend his attention span?

His attention span is absolute pants! He wil only play with something for a minute or 2 until he is bored and will move on from it. This makes staying in the house very hard.

5)Why wont he eat breakfast?

For ages DS has not been eating breakfast so i gave up his morning bottle but yet he still didnt eat it, so i have put it back later but he is too hungry to wait for it.. And if i manage to get him eating it he will nibble at it and then want to get down. His breakfast is literally 1/4 slice of toast and maybe a few grapes or raisins. This then leads to his getting down from the table and wanting to snack all morning due to the fact he's not eaten a proper breakfast.

So sorry it is sooo long!! Hope you can all help me, i'm like majorly desperate!!:shy::shhh:

1 & 2 - "enforce night" - if he wakes up early, then keep him in his cot. In our house "getting up" is 7am - any earlier, if DS won't resettle, then one of us lies next to his cot (on a spare mattress with duvet and pillow) silently until 7am. Haven't had to do this for AGES! Did have to do it around 15 months - you have to "train" them that it isn't morning yet...
3 - that isn't good! Yes, no tolerance of violence (out or at home) - timeout.
4 - I am afraid that it VERY typical of toddlers (especially boys) of that age. It will naturally improve... so patience ;)
5 - does he always have the same thing for breakfast? Is he bored of it? Variety? If you do offer variety, then suggest that you keep the breakfast be doesn't eat and offer that when he asks for snacks (I do this if DS decides to be fussy about dinner - he refuses, later bangs on the door of the snack cupboard, all he gets offered is his uneaten dinner, after a couple of attempts he caves and eats his remaining dinner ;) )

If you don't mind me asking but what time is your LO's bedtime? Just wondering how long your LO sleeps for x

He has always (well from before 9 months) had his bath at 7.30pm. Before 19 months he would have bath, ready for bed, downstairs for bottle, back upstairs straight to bed. From 19 months he has beaker of milk before bath, bath, ready for bed, story, straight to bed. So now he is in bed by 8pm, up 7/7.30am

At 14 months we dropped straight to one nap a day: 12.30pm or so for 2 to 3 hours (something about these Winter days means that I am often waking him at 3 hours).

13 to 19 months DS did a lot of teething (canines and first 4 molars): this did disrupt his sleep, but we stuck at it (settling him and enforcing night time) and it has definitely paid off.

QT

(so he has 11/11.5 hours at night and 2 to 3 hours during the day - he is VERY active though when awake!)

Hope it helps, they are all different, but I strongly believe that you can "train a toddler" (although sometimes it may take some time to pay off, especially if they are teething...)

Can I also ask how you switched LO from bedtime bottle to milk before bath? I want to do this with DS but dunno the best way. He's had a bottle before bed since birth x

And thanks ever so much for the advice, think you've helped me a lot :hugs: xx

DS was on two beakers (spouted Tommee Tippee ones) a day (first thing and after afternoon nap) and one bottle (before bed) a day since about 13 months (before that his morning beaker was also a bottle). At 19 months, I just swapped the bottle for the beaker one night (still feeding him on my nap in the nursing chair - as I have done since we swapped from breast to bottle at about 10 months). He didn't hugely notice!

I did this for about a week, but he started getting a bit playful with his beaker. So I changed his whole bedtime routine. He used to do bath at 7.30, dressed in PJs and sleeping bag, back downstairs for bottle (later beaker), then immediately upstairs and straight into bed. So I changed that to beaker at 7.15pm (we have kiddies TV on - so he is watching Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse), then bath at 7.30, PJs, sleeping bag, story (we introduced this) in his room and then straight in cot. So his milk is now before bath and he doesn't come back downstairs after his bath. This works really well for us.

QT

https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/tip_it_up_cup_6m__/ - this is what we use for milk (works for us).

QT

Not sure about the discipline thing as it's not something I've had to do yet but sounds like you did great!

My LO was the same with breakfast, especially toast or weetabix until I tried her on warm ready break, she loves it! Maybe try a porridge?

I have the same problem with attention span so can't answer that one :(

Also (in addition to porridge/readybrek) try:
- homemade blueberry pancakes (I only make them at the weekend, though. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4915/american-blueberry-pancakes is a good recipe. I make the batter the night before, then add the blueberries in the morning, to save time). I put a little maple syrup with them.
- French toast.
- crumpets with jam on (https://shop.superjam.co.uk/ is quite good if you want to avoid too much sugar)
- toasted fruit loaf or hot cross bun with butter.
- if you child can handle the chewy/crunch texture, nut-free muesli with full fat milk (mine loves this now, but is 21 months).
- other breakfast cereals. Cheerios are good (as finger food without milk), but only an occassional treat here (because of the sugar)
- Croissant with jam
- Rice Crispies (although can be messy!)

all can be paired with some fruit on the side...

Personally I can eat the same breakfast (good muesli) EVERY day and not get bored, but I think that LOs get a bit bored at breakfast...

Cheers sweetie! You've been a great help to me. :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"