One week old feeding constantly

pgfairy

Reaction score
My baby has been feeding (swapping breast to breast each time he releases) for the last 7 hours without pause. Our latch is getting better, we have to occasionally reattach mid feed as he does the lipstick nipple thing when he gets lazy, but my breasts deflate and he feeds for about a half hour per side
side.

So in fear of him not getting enough we just hand expressed and gave him abouut an 30ml of ebm. He is still awake and although not fussing but still rooting a little. He doesn't seem to have wind, he has been thoroughly burped.

I managed to express almost 75ml of milk from both (not even full) breasts so I know the milk is there. I'm hesitant to give him more than what I have as he has been feeding for so long and I don't want to overfill him too much!

Someone please explain to me what might be going on? I'm so frazzled.

His stomach has just expanded hugely in the last few days and now has the capacity to stretch too, so a one week growth spurt (where he stimulates milk production) is to be expected. Check his nappy output over the next 24 hours as he should be on at least one poo and at least 7 wet if he's taking on milk. If his nappy output is on the low side he may be having trouble extracting milk, but if he has dirty nappies and puts on weight then he's just doing what he has to do to stimulate your breasts.

Agreed, his output (pees and poos) will indicate that he's getting enough to eat. All babies feed differently. I know it's frustrating and can feel worrisome, but if he's filling those diaper/nappies all is well.
My baby is a frequent feeder, and in the early days it was non-stop. By feeding on-demand I ensured a great milk supply (and he's put on a lot of weight!).

Thanks for the responses ladies that really does help. He has had at Least 3 soiled and well over 7 wet nappies in the last 24 so I guess I'm not really worried about his intake, more that something else might be wrong with him if he is feeling the need to be on the breast for 6 solid hours! But daddy did get him down for a nap after I posted, so mommy got a little rest :) Thanks again.

My little guy (6 days old) has started doing epic feeding marathons tho he tends to favour 11pm-5am as his optimum feeding time

It's totally normal and coincides with growth spurts, there are some great articles that explain it better than I can, have a google of cluster feeding for more information

Just keep doing what you're doing and offer the boob whenever he wants it :)

OK this has gone on for 3 days now, and everyone I talk to says growth spurt buy three days? Seriously?

We are back to using both breasts after having to pump and give one breast with a bottle. Is it possible now that he is having to work for his meal at both boobs he is restless because his stomach isn't filling as quick? And if so what on earth do I do about it? I really don't want to be expressing if I can avoid it.

OK this has gone on for 3 days now, and everyone I talk to says growth spurt buy three days? Seriously?

We are back to using both breasts after having to pump and give one breast with a bottle. Is it possible now that he is having to work for his meal at both boobs he is restless because his stomach isn't filling as quick? And if so what on earth do I do about it? I really don't want to be expressing if I can avoid it.

Three days is about average for a growth spurt, however in the early weeks there is cluster feeding too (which is usually evening to early hours of morning) and that's just what they do. As long as he doesn't seem distressed by feeding and is comforted by being near you then I'd just get a few box sets ready, snacks and drinks and camp out.

https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

You're doing great mama, stick with it!

Ah the constant second guessing! Even though I knew everything was fine, the constant feeding and evening fussiness still made me feel like something might be wrong. When you're so tired it's hard to rationalize that this could be normal! (Sleep deprivation is a torture technique for goodness sake!)

For me, I rode it out; and it did get better. Then worse, then better, etc. And the "worse" days subsequently get better then the last. It's a slow climb. That being said, we're only at 8 weeks now, but it's crazy how much happens and changes in that time.

My compromise: At 4-5 weeks I bought a pacifier. I was tired of him using me as one! But I felt comfortable with that decision since he was putting on about 2oz a day. And I don't use it to delay feedings; just to help him settle and sleep.

He's still regulating your supply. The best thing to do is get comfy and let him nurse as long as he wants. It doesn't last forever, even if it feels like it now. Hang in there, you're doing great!

I just think remember supply and demand. He is demanding a ton of supply! Lol

This young they will constantly feed, it's best to go by the diaper output. As long as he has 6 wet diapers (poo is not as important) then you are good. I know, if is exhausting, you feel like a milking machine. I watched one movie after another on Netflix those first few weeks. I was so restless I was grateful for the opportunity to do the dishes, lol.

Watch for him using you as a pacifier, though. They will do that.

My LO nursed like 20 hours a day for the first 6 weeks. I always heard about growth spurts but for us the entire first month and a half was like one long growth spurt. If diaper output is good and he seems content nursing, then just keep at it. It's exhausting but lots of newborns spend a good portion of the day/night at the breast.

I remember my LO clusterfeeding from 11pm-7am like clockwork. I got comfy in my recliner and watched hours upon hours of TV and movies. Looking back I actually have pretty fond memories of those days, though at the time it was pure torture!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->