Onto another worry. Anyone know anything about spina bifida?

cskme_

Reaction score
I'll be 12 weeks on Wednesday, I have seen my baby on u/s at 8 weeks, heard the heartbeat at my OB last week. But now I have another concern. My NT scan is Wednesday morning and I have to go for bloodwork after my scan, then I will be seeing my doctor on Friday to go over the results of the scan and bloodwork. I am worried about my baby having spina bifida, I didn't start taking my prenatal vitamins until 4 weeks pregnant when I found out. And I never took anything prior to becoming pregnant. My grandmother had a baby yearssssss ago that was born with spina bifida and died a few months after she was born. Anyone know if me having an aunt with spina bifida would significantly increase my risk?

Folic acid is added to lots of our food its in cereals, bread and other staples you are likely to have ingested it and have a good base layer of it in your system anyway... Back in the day it was not added to things, try not to worry.

Try not to worry - most people or a lot of them don't take folic acid until 4 weeks or later. My sister didn't until after 12 weeks as she didn't know she was pregnant and her baby is fine. As mentioned it's already in food and if you have a varied diet you should have some in your system.

Mention your family history and the doctir may be able to perform extra tests to ease your worries.

Try not to worry, my sister was born with spina bifida and my not Doctor, although not completely sure said no one is certain there is a genetic link at all and it is more likely there isn't. She prescribed me higher dose folic acid at about 8 weeks and it was mentioned in my notes so that ultrasounds extra care was put in to reassure me that the spine looked ok. You should be fine as others have said its in many foods and 4 weeks isn't late to start taking it.

i never ate any wheat before becoming pregnant, no cereals breads wheats, nothing. I hope I had enough folic acid.

Chances are you are fine. You can also get food folate from beans, peas and lentils, oranges and orange juice, asparagus and broccoli, and dark leafy green vegetables such as spinach, and mustard greens. Just make your doctor aware of your concerns.

Your baby will be fine! I never could take prenatals at all with any of my babies (5) because they made me very ill and the doctors were fine with that. I took flintstones lol and my babies were strong and healthy!

Although I took prenatals in all my pregnancies ive had hypermesis in every pregnancy except for this one. It means I couldn't keep my vitamin down or even eat food rich in folate. Yes I lost a lot of babies but none had spine bifida. And my uncle (dads brother) had a baby born with it who sadly died. Although always write it in my pregnancy notes ive never been told it would be a concern for me or increase my risks. Most ladies unless actively ttc would have no reason to take folic acid becore 4 weeks, so don't panic. I'm sure your baby is just fine.

Thanks everyone, I let it get to my head so much that I rescheduled my NT scan and bloodwork from Wednesday to tomorrow. Its only one day difference but at least that saves me from worrying for another full day.
I have anxiety and if I get caught up on one thing I just cant seem to let it go. Anyways I'm praying that everything turns out okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->