Open University - Added another question....

KrisKitten

Reaction score
Iv been looking into home learning and as i want a properly recognised qualificaton iv been looking at the open university. I want to do Politics, Philosophy and Economics (1 course lol) but i cant find anywhere saying what if any qualifications u need in the first place to do it, and also how much it would cost.
Am i being rlly stupid and just cant find it :shrug: or does ne1 know the answers from experience roughly?
ANy help would be greatly appreciated -
this is the link if u can spot somehting im missing :shrug:
https://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/b45.htm#regulations
Thanx xxxxxxxx

EDT:
Also if you have done a course with open university how did u find it? Wat course did u do (if u dont mind), how long did it take in regards to the estimated time given and any other expereince to share? xxxxxxxx

You dont usually need any qualifications previously to do open university thats why you start at level one or you do a foundation certificate before you start the degree hun. They dont give you a price for the whole degree normally, but you will see how much each module costs..they can range anywhere from £150-3k. You know where is says all the different modules, well click on full course description and that gives you all the module prices..usually you need 120 credits for level 1, 120 credits for level 2 and 120 credits for level 3 to make up a full degree. There is financial support available if you look at faqs xx

I do this- You don't need any to start but if you don't have any you will need to start on a Level 1 course (which you probally would do anyway)
You thinking about doing a degree? Or just a course?

xx

The prices are on there somewhere, but I found it useful to order lots of prospectuses, and the prices are all in those too.

Oh and it's free if you have a income of less than £16000. You also get £250 for a new laptop and £250 everytime you do a new module, for childcare/ travel costs etc :)

xx

If you click through to the courses/parts of the degree, the price should come up like this; https://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/dd101.htm

But you can apply for financial support, to pay for all, or part of your course.

EDIT; For the degree you want to do, (this one?) https://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/b45.htm it shows the compulsory and optional courses for the degree. You can use this to work out the points to total the whole degree to 360 points. If you click the individual courses, you want to do, it shows the price for each (Click full description).

Iv added another question to the OP regarding how people found the course? xxxxx

OOoh, I can reply now you've added the next question!

I've done five (or is it six?) courses, completed year 1 of a degree (120 points at level 1). I enjoyed all my courses, although I found some parts of them a little "simple", my Maths course (MST121) was almost the same as my studies for A-level 20 years ago! I found the time estimates to be over-generous on all courses.

Watch out for any courses that have group discussion or experiments, they rely on you all taking part (you don't get good discussion if hardly anybody bothers to be online) and also for you to be at the same point in the course at the same time, so working ahead (e.g. to allow for holidays) can be problematic.

ETA - here's my course list:

Y154 Open to Change (if you've got half a brain, don't bother with the Openings courses!)
MST121 Using Mathematics
TU120 Beyond Google - using information online
S154 Science Starts Here
S104 Exploring Science

I'm starting S104 in January. I've got all the course material - a ton of books and a box of rocks :haha:, so I've started working on it already. It seems alright so far, but I'm dreading the Chemistry books a bit. It's a 60 point course, and I'm working towards a degree in Psychology, but keeping an open mind and might change it during S104 if something really takes my fancy.

Marleysgirl; Just seen you did S104 too :)

I've just finished S104 in October and am now doing MST121. Havn't found them too challanging and found the time given just about right for them both. Most of the course materials are well layed out and easy to follow.

Im doing a psychology degree, so far I have passed DD100 and currently doing DSE121. I have found it good- and it's the only way i'm going to able to do a degree at the moment.

I do find it hard to study with no pressure being put on me, and I generally leave assignments to the last minute which is stressful but yeah, apart from my laziness :D Its pretty good!!

xx

I have to say ladies...I had no idea about any of this, but thank you SO much, I'm now starting my Business Studies honours degree in March and would never have known I could do it if I hadn't read this thread...so thank you sosososo much!:flower:

I finished my 4 year university degree in June, with tons of online classes, they are great! Actually, they are a fair bit harder than the classroom ones because you need to absorb *everything* on your own, rather than remember what a teacher says! Good luck ladies

I'm starting in February,level 2 as i already have higher education qualifications and i can not wait!
I miss learning and having the pressure to do something,i've sat at home for 2 years and timing couldn't be more perfect!

As for pricing,i rang them,thats the easiest way. I'm going to pay in instalments once the course starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->