Opinions - baby's first few months sleeping

21Rach

Mum & TTC
Reaction score
I really don't have a clue on what to do - what do u put baby in at night to sleep at first - we've paid for the pram basketty type thing so i thought maybe do they sleep in those? or we got bought my oh's mum a second hand travel cot would that be the one? or would it be a proper cot we've got 1 of those second hand? i jus dunno wot i need argh! blankets or one of those "zippy sleepbag" things? and what's the deal with mattresses - travel cot need a mattress? what's the safest what r u all doing? :shrug:

haha 50 questions soz but hopefully this helps others too n get it out the way eh x

ok, mine always slept in a crib to start with 9only coz i prefer crib to moses), for a few months, and then into the cot
i always used sleeping bags as well it is easier than blankets coming off etc

for daytime naps i have a travel cot that i might put up in the living room in the early days, after that the bouncer is good for a wee sleep as is the pram

travle cots come with a mattress thing, but its nowhere near as thick and i would guess comfy as a cot matress, but i guess it all depends on what works best for you and the baby

The baby can sleep in a cot/cotbed, Moses basket or a crib. You don't really need a sleeping bag you can just use a blanket on it's own.

our baby will go directly in to his crib - and we're using a zipper sleeping bag w/ arm holes so there's no risk of him getting tangled up in it

I'm still undecided too Rach! I'm not really super keen on moses baskets and I hear a lot of babies can grow out of them really fast. I wouldn't mind having a little swinging crib.. but they're so expensive! So unless I can find a nice one second hand I won't be using that. We could use the cot bed but I want baby in our room for the first few months anyway and it'd be way to big for our room. I think what I'm leaning towards at the moment is a travel cot. Probably this one... https://www.toysrus.co.uk/medias/sys_master/8609680067169440.jpg and if anyone is interested in it.. I've been following the price for a couple months because I saw it go down to £109 then back up to £129 and I've been waiting for it to drop again. It appears to have dropped back down to the lower price today! So I might be making another huge purchase tonight! https://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-...Basinette-with-Napper-I-Love-My-Bear(0015148)

Kiddicare seems to put this message at the bottom of their travel cot pages:
Mattress size 104 x 71 cm optional extra - not included

This travel cot includes a foam base which is also used as the mattress, an additional safety mattress can be purchased should you wish to add additional comfort, the size that you require for this mattress is 104 x 71 cm. So I might do that...

toysrus are doing a crib for £50, mattress start at 12.99 so all in not a lot of diff compared with moses basket and stand

https://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-...bs/White-Swinging-Crib-and-Drape-Rod(0011480)

oooo thats good to know you can get a travelcot mattress as well, i have never looked tbh i just assumed it was the thing they came with was all - might look into it coz i would use the travel cot def if i could get a comfy mattress

We're going directly to a cot. Just doesn't seem worth it to spend money on multiple places for the baby to sleep.

We did the moses basket for our first and will be doing the same again this time, swaddled in blanket for first 3/4 months then transfer to cot. Just like that moses baskets dont take up much room and are transportable while they are tiny so the can sleep in any room you want them in x

with my son we had him in a moses basket next to our bed for first 7-8 weeks by which time he had grown out of it. Then he went into a cot (also beside our bed cos we only had a 1 bed place at that time). We always used sheets and cellular blankets.

We're gonna go for the same this time, but when this one grows out of the moses basket her cot is in her own room.......

Will prob bring the moses basket downstairs during the day for first few weeks too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->