opinions on making babies bottle

because of all this make as u need rubbish i was so scared that we use the ready the pour until a week ago and now premake. she hates the powdered milk and i hate making it !!! but i would have thought adding powder to boiling water in a sterile bottle makes it sterile, i wish someone could explain the reason behind it as even my HV doesnt know...give it a few years and they will saying making as you go is bad...

I make as i go. To make it quicker i keep a covered jug of cooled boiled water in the fridge and have the powder premeasured in the dispensers. Then when he's hungry i boil the kettle, fill the bottle with half the water i need, add the milk power then top up with the cold water so its at the perfect temperature :) this way the powder is always added to hot water and it only takes as long as warming a premade bottle. If we go out i do the same, i take a flask of hot water and cool water too and the same at night

I used to fill bottles up with boiled water and Then add the formula when he needed it. That way the water is sterile and the formula hasn't been sat in it for ages. It also means the bottle is at room temptreture which is ideal. But if they like it warm just pop in it some warm water :) x

This is how I do it. :flower:

Me too

I make 2-3 bottles up at a time and store them at the back of the fridge, then reheat when needed x

I do
I used to fill bottles up with boiled water and Then add the formula when he needed it. That way the water is sterile and the formula hasn't been sat in it for ages. It also means the bottle is at room temptreture which is ideal. But if they like it warm just pop in it some warm water :) x
this during the day, and I put 2 made up in the fridge for in the night (he ony has 1, but just in case...) and heat them up in the microwave when he needs them. But I live in a flat so its easy to just pop into the kitchen and heat them, when I stay at FOB's where I would have to go downstairs to the kitchen I take 2 bottles with the boiled water in, and a powder dispenser with the formula in and make up when he needs them. I prefer doing the microwave way because I've been known to pour the powder all over my bed in middle-of-the-night blurs :dohh: Its really sticky and doesnt wash out easily! x

I couldn't get my head around the logic either - feeding on demand yet taking a good 40 mins to prepare each bottle doesn't make sense to me!

I fretted for ages about the guidelines but after getting helpful opinions on here I joined the pre-making way to do it. I make 5 bottles at a time (for 24 hours max).

I did go down the boiled water and adding powder when needed - the advanatge being any bacteria doesn't have a chance to grow. But apparently the powder should be added to water at 70 degrees to kill bacteria. The second option makes more sense to me so I premake completely.

Hate the current recommendations- just not at all practical. Either risk gone mad or just another way to tell me I should be bf (which I tried and failed and still feel guilty about:()

I've always made 6 up at once, put them in the fridge.. as soon as LO wants one, microwave for 40seconds (6oz) roll around to even the temp, hey presto!

I boil the kettle let it cool for 30mins or so then pour the water into the bottles, put lids on, let them cool completly, put them in the fridge, then take one out when LO is due a feed, add the powder and then heat in the micro.

Took me ages to get my head round making up bottles, but I eventually found this way to work for us...put 120ml (4oz) of cooled boiled water into the sterilised bottles, and keep a thermos flask of boiled water ready in the kitchen (or nappy bag if we're out), then when he wants a bottle, make the bottle up to 210ml (7oz) with the hot flask water, and add measured amount of powder in and shake. This made the bottle the perfect temp for feeding LO straight away.

If out and about, I just take a small flask, and powder in the powder dispenser with me in the nappy bag.

I do exactly the same for night feeds...just take the part filled bottles, flask and powder upstairs in a suitably sized tuppaware box.

One question ladies, isn't the boiling water recommended because its supposed to kill any bacteria thats in the powder....Thats why i make them up with boiling water and then refrigerate once its cooled.
Wouldnt lettin the water cool not kill that POSSIBLE bacteria???

Im just going by what my HV said...but like the rest of them, she's probably talkin out of her derriere :rofl:

thank you all for your responses glad to hear that people are doing the same and i am not being careless- kitten B I agree prob do it to put us off bottle feeding!!

i must be the only one who makes when needed unless im out :shrug: i know roughly when she will want her next feed so i boil the kettle about 30-45mins before then make the bottle about 20-30 mins later and then cool in cold water when she wants it. in the moring when she starts to wake up and doesnt settle properly when i pop her dummy back in i go down and make a bottle and its usually ready just as she starts whinging for it. i bf for 6 weeks and she slept through straight after so i never had to worry about makin bottles during the night xx

I couldn't get my head around the logic either - feeding on demand yet taking a good 40 mins to prepare each bottle doesn't make sense to me!

I fretted for ages about the guidelines but after getting helpful opinions on here I joined the pre-making way to do it. I make 5 bottles at a time (for 24 hours max).

I did go down the boiled water and adding powder when needed - the advanatge being any bacteria doesn't have a chance to grow. But apparently the powder should be added to water at 70 degrees to kill bacteria. The second option makes more sense to me so I premake completely.

Hate the current recommendations- just not at all practical. Either risk gone mad or just another way to tell me I should be bf (which I tried and failed and still feel guilty about:()

Haha sounds very like me. No way my baby would wait half an hour when he's hungry.

I used to boil the water and make one bottle of water up and add the powder when he's ready to eat then realised that made even less sense than pre-making so now I do them all in the morning

Took me ages to get my head round making up bottles, but I eventually found this way to work for us...put 120ml (4oz) of cooled boiled water into the sterilised bottles, and keep a thermos flask of boiled water ready in the kitchen (or nappy bag if we're out), then when he wants a bottle, make the bottle up to 210ml (7oz) with the hot flask water, and add measured amount of powder in and shake. This made the bottle the perfect temp for feeding LO straight away.

If out and about, I just take a small flask, and powder in the powder dispenser with me in the nappy bag.

I do exactly the same for night feeds...just take the part filled bottles, flask and powder upstairs in a suitably sized tuppaware box.

This is what I do too. It's so fast, and great at night. Luke used to have a meltdown waiting for his milk to heat at night when we were using cartons! X

We pre-make bottles for the day. I boil kettle, allow it to cool for 10-20 minutes and then make the bottles up, rapid cooling them before putting them in the back of the fridge. This was the advice given to me by my community midwife and is also the advice of the WHO and in the Birth to 5 book if you're pre-making bottles. It's the only way that made sense to me as I know the water is at the right temperature to destroy any bacteria in the formula.

my LO likes her milk warm and it makes her a lot less sicky than when I premake, so I boil and leave to cool for about an hour and a half (my kettle keeps water really warm for AGES!) then I fill it in a thermos and that does me all day, I make another thermos up at night for her morning feed.
I count out scoops and put them in milk dispensers (tommee tippee ones are fab) and store them in the top of the bottles. At feed time I make up the bottle with water from the thermos (I also carry a very small bottle of cool boiled water just in case the water needs some cool water to get it to the right temp) and add the milk powder from the dispenser - it sounds complicated, but it is SO easy, and also means I am making the feed with hot water to kill any bacteria in the powder. It is way quicker than using cooled water and then having to put it in a cup of hot water to reheat it.
Hope this helps, ask if you want me to explain more or to give you my timings for how I get the thermos ready etc

We have always made up the bottles in the evening for the next day. We just fill them with cooled boiled water and then heat them in the microwave when we need them and add the powder after that.

If we are out in a coffee shop or something, we just get some extra hot water with our tea/coffee and pour a bit out of the bottle, add the hot water, shake and add the powder. It's much easier than asking them for something to warm the bottle, as it's different everywhere you go - some places will warm it for you, some won't, some insist that you leave it with them sitting in hot water (don't like doing this) and some just won't use their microwave to heat it up. Some places i have been won't even give you extra hot water if they know it is to heat a bottle, they insist on giving you a bottle warmer!

Hiya

We half fill LO bottles with fresh boiled water when we clean the bottles. This then goes cold so when he wants a feed we boil the kettle a little to top up to the right amount and add the forumula. This way his food is warm. We dont have a bottle warmer.
When we go out I fill the bottle with the right amount of water and ask someone for a bottle warmer...Just find the best way for you. I am sure everyone has used milk that is just over the 2 hour mark and the LOs have been just fine.

i always made my bottles up (4 at a time) and stuck them in the fridge til we needed them :shrug: x

One question ladies, isn't the boiling water recommended because its supposed to kill any bacteria thats in the powder....Thats why i make them up with boiling water and then refrigerate once its cooled.
Wouldnt lettin the water cool not kill that POSSIBLE bacteria???

Im just going by what my HV said...but like the rest of them, she's probably talkin out of her derriere :rofl:

Adding powder to boiling water kills certain essential vitamins and minerals in the powder. This is why it is recommended to add powder to 70 degrees as its hot enough to kill bacteria in the powder but not hot enough to kill the good stuff. This is based on research carried out and the information is available in the WHO guidelines on making up bottles.

I premake my bottles and store in the fridge until needed.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"