• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeanne

Mom of 3 and Stepmom of 2
Reaction score
This year my stepkids will be over Christmas Eve until the afternoon of Christmas Day. I've spent 3/4 of what I bought for our 3 kids, afterall, even one gift for 12 years olds is expensive.

Because their's is more expensive, and because they get two Christmas', they don't have nearly what my kids will be openning on Christmas Day. They have a stocking each but less than 1/2 of what Amanda, Jayden and Chase will be openning.

In the past I always tried to give equal gifts amongst them all if they were here on Christmas morning. Not so this year.

So, in order to prevent hard feelings (even though my stepkids are 12 and should understand now) would you just let it all happen OR only put 1/2 of the other kids presents under the tree and then have them open the rest on Christmas night after the other kids are gone?

My OH says just let it all happen on Christmas morning. I am thinking of doing the latter.

Replied to you on the Christmas Morning thread.xx

I meant to post it in it's own thread. LOL :dohh:

Thing is, the stepkids have to learn at some point I suppose.

However, another part of me would also think it's fun to come home after dinner and tell the kids, "Oh, Santa left these downstairs for you too." And then they get to open more without making the other two feel bad.

See, I guess I am more concerned as they know who goes out and gets the gifts, and I will be looked at as the bad person...not OH.

:hugs::hugs: Tough situation.
I'll be really honest and it'll probably make me sound like a selfish poo BUT!

I grew up with my dad and step-mum and at Christmas (and Birthdays etcetera) I'd always get about half of what my brothers (my step-mums kids) did. Their reasoning was much similar to yours, we got some things from our real mum as well.

Although again my mum would spend a lot less on us than she did her children that lived with her so in all we were worse than everyone!

Anyway, it really felt like we were unwanted. It's not really the child's fault they have two sets of parents... each parent should want to spend the same amount on EACH of their children, regardless of who else they may or may not get things from.

Obviously your situation is slightly different as they don't live with you full time, but personally I'd go with the latter option. They are older and they would understand BUT if there was any hard feeling it would be on you ('stopping' their dad spoiling them - rightly or wrongly) and on their dad ("not caring enough to get them all the same".)

I think your children will quite enjoy finding more presents later on, it'd be quite exciting for them. They don't need to know the reason behind it and it stops any chance of bad feeling.

Sorry for rambling!
(Admittedly there were a lot of other family issues going on and if you're stepchildren are more secure in their family situation, which I imagine they are, it shouldn't be as much of a problem.) xxx

that is a tough one. I like the idea of the kids coming home to gifts from Santa, my mom did that one year and it was really cool and something I'll always remember. But your kids will end up telling the older ones about it eventually so they will find out...

I personally would only put part of them under so it's more even in the morning and do the rest that evening. I think at 12 they still might get their feelings hurt even though they do have some to go home to. And your kids (not step) will probably think it's cool to do it twice like their step siblings will get to, going home and doing more.

Yes, I think I will stick with them openning some up in the a.m. and the rest at night. I won't tell my kids that they have more coming but will spring it on them when we get home after dinner.

I know my stepkids and remember when they were younger and had finished openning their big pile and saying "Is that it?" LOL

I dont think ist selfish hun

But deifanlty leave some to open when the step kids have gone at least then you cant be accused of tryingto upset them on purpose
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back