OPK as HPT question

hoptingfor3

Mom to three girls :)
Reaction score
Ok ladies, I have been taking OPKs pretty much since before ovulation. I ovulated on 3/20/11 and continued to take them afterwards. For much of last week, the lines were still pretty dark, but not positive.

Since friday or saturday, the lines have gotten progressively lighter and today it was almost non-existant.

I am currently 10DPO.

Do you think this could mean I am out this month?

Or is this normal and they will start to get darker again?

Here are my symptoms so far:
1-3DPO cramping
4-5 DPO Nothing really other than sore BBS
5-7 DPO sore BBS and cramping ...specifically on my lower right side above the hairline (always the same spot and have never had cramps here before. They are sharpish and somewhat shooting)
7-10 DPO Not as much cramping, BBS aren't as sore....generally feeling like I am out of the game

Thoughts?

Hi,
I was wondering about this too, as I'm in a similar position.I found this on the internet.... think it helps! Good luck, and hopefully not out this month! xxx

OPKs as HPTs

OPKs are intended to detect LH. Since LH and HCG are nearly identical, OPKs will also detect HCG. The reverse is not true for HPTs. Home pregnancy tests will only detect HCG. So in theory, yes, and OPK could detect pregnancy.
Reasons not to use an ovulation prediction kit for a home pregnancy test

OPKs cannot distinguish between LH and HCG. Getting a positive OPK only confirms that you have either LH or HCG in your system.

It is important to discuss some of the other differences between OPKs and HPTs. LH is present in the body at all times. HCG is not. WIth OPKs, they detect a sudden increase or "surge" of LH. The typical amount of LH that is in the body at any given time is between 5-20 mIU. Therefore an OPK is looking for a surge above this typical amount. Most OPKs look for a level around 30-40 mIU. However, there are some tests that detect lower levels of LH. You can easily see how testing with a more sensitive OPK could result in a false positive. Newer OPKs look at a combination of LH and estrone-3-glucuronide, E3G, which may be helpful to further pinpoint ovulation.

Home pregnancy tests on the market are very sensitive testing at 25 mIU and below. This is more sensitive that the typical OPK. So even if you could get a positive on an OPKs, you would most likely get one sooner on a home pregnancy test. Because OPKs are designed to detect LH and not HCG , it is not recommended to use an OPK for an HPT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"