OPK First-Timer.. Advice??

akr51411

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
I am new to posting so please don't mind my lack of lingo knowledge! A little about me: I am 27 and hubby is 26.. we have been married since 5.14.2011 and have been TTC #1 since August 2013. Today [Thursday] is CD5 for me [AF left last night.. yay!] and I would like to try an OPK this month.

I haven't even started to look at brands or anything yet but I've been reading posts and they seem so confusing! Any advice on brands.. when do I start testing.. etc? I don't have any infertility issues that I am aware of [since we haven't been TTC for a year yet I haven't had any dr appts to discuss that] and have been taking a prenatal since we started TTC and that's all.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone who is TTC!

I don't like OPK's anymore (only because I think by the time I can test my urine is too diluted to get an accurate reading) but I have read that the best ones to get are the ones that have the smiley face. It's pretty fool proof. No guessing games there!

I would suggest temping (if you don't do that already)...I've learned a TON more about my ovulation by temping than anything else!

How long is your cycle? My opks came with a chart showing when you should test depending on your cycle length.
On my 30 day cycle, I start testing day 12.

I just bought cheapies off amazon. It detected my surge today.

They were usually 28 days until the last 3 months.. my last 3 cycles were 26, 29, 31.. that's why I wanted to try the OPK since they are getting goofy! Lol.

I will definitely have to start the temping too! I thought just doing a lot of BDing would do the trick but I'm starting to realize how much more I could be doing.

Thank you!

I just did my first round of OPKs this cycle. Don't think I got pregnant but learned a lot. My first advice is to temp with a BBT also because it really helps identify and verify your ovulation when it occurs. I downloaded an app to my phone called mydays and in the morning as soon as I wake up I take my temp. I did my OPKs while we were on vacation. I took the length of my cycle, cut it in half, and started testing a day earlier than that. For example 32 day cycle, 16 days is half, started testing on 15th day. I tested at 2pm after reading lots of articles saying your surge happens at that time. And I got a VERY OBVIOUS surge on day 17 and ovulated the next day according to temp dip day 18 and rise on day 19. I used cheap walmart OPKS, pack of 7. They worked fine for me and it was obvious when I surged. Saved me a bunch of $ too.
I dunno if any of this helps but I had trouble finding all the info in the right place! BEST OF LUCK and BABY DUST!

Yes that does help! I assumed they would come with an information pack or something but I'd much rather hear people's personal experiences using an OPK or what they doing to conceive to make more informed decisions. It is very hard to find reliable information just googling everything.

With opks, I test 3x a day near to suspected ovulation too. I am quite new to using them too, and last month I used one a day, which wasn't enough really.
Good luck
:)

I just did my first round of OPKs this cycle. Don't think I got pregnant but learned a lot. My first advice is to temp with a BBT also because it really helps identify and verify your ovulation when it occurs. I downloaded an app to my phone called mydays and in the morning as soon as I wake up I take my temp. I did my OPKs while we were on vacation. I took the length of my cycle, cut it in half, and started testing a day earlier than that. For example 32 day cycle, 16 days is half, started testing on 15th day. I tested at 2pm after reading lots of articles saying your surge happens at that time. And I got a VERY OBVIOUS surge on day 17 and ovulated the next day according to temp dip day 18 and rise on day 19. I used cheap walmart OPKS, pack of 7. They worked fine for me and it was obvious when I surged. Saved me a bunch of $ too.
I dunno if any of this helps but I had trouble finding all the info in the right place! BEST OF LUCK and BABY DUST!

I'm glad you mentioned what time you test. I would have never thought about testing at 2PM, but that makes total sense. I wasn't testing till I got home from work (around 6-6:30pm) and I feel like I never got a positive opk because I drink water like a camel during the day my urine was always so diluted! I brought my last opk to work today so I can test at 2PM, I should be ovulating (according to FF) on Monday, so we'll see...maybe I won't give up on opk's just yet...

I definitely had success testing at 2. My test line was bolder than my reference line! Keep me posted on how it shakes out for you!

I just used them for the first time this month as well. I bought the cheapies from the dollar store. The place I read said to find your fertile week go back 14 days from when you expect your next period. I also am following an ovulation chart because im not even sure if i am ovulating. I started on CD 10 and got a 4 day surge! Today it just started going back down. I would test every day for your fertile week according to your chart. Also I always tested between 3 and 4 pm. Some people test more than that.

:dust:

so I used my last opk today for funzies...just went to the bathroom at work around 2PM and it looks like a positive...it's positive right??

does this mean I will O in a couple days?

Attachments

• okp.jpg
    okp.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 2
That definitely looks like a surge to me. You should ovulate 12-36 hours after a positive result with 24 hour being the average so you wanna BD everyday including today and the next 2 days!

Hi sorry to gate crash but maybe this will also help with opk testing. I starte to test 12dpo after prev chemical preg all negative gave up cd20 anyway had sex on cd24 had what I thought was ovulation pain after few hours decided to test and positive opk ( took unprescribed clomid days 5-9) I know I know... soo yesterday being what I assumed 14dpo first response faint positive twice.. so today 15 dpo again faint seems smidge darker. Worried at the faint wish I knew how to upload on her u dont have squint its there and pink but faint. Should I be worried for another chem or just thought ovulation pain cd24 and positive opk I read can take up to 36 hours so was the pain ovulation and I am faint at 15dpo or maybe it was getting ready and disnt meat tje spwrm dor another 24 to 36 hours meanin I could actually be 13 dpo right now??

so I used my last opk today for funzies...just went to the bathroom at work around 2PM and it looks like a positive...it's positive right??

It's always fun to sneak the OPK and cup to pee in (if you use the cheapies) into the bathroom at work, huh? Looks like it paid off for you though! BD tonight, tomorrow and the next day if you're up for it!

Hey Gals

Just a thought you have to be careful how much fluid you drink before doing OPK as it dilutes everything. I drink 2-3l of water a day and my results were rubbish even after giving the recommended 2 hours reduced fluid before testing.

This time I stopped drinking 4 hours before and tested mid afternoon and one of my days like this was positive

The cheap lined ones are a bit tricky to read, the smiley ones sound loads better

Thank you so much ladies for confirming!! I'm so excited it's like I got a bfp or something....but I really thought that I maybe wasn't ovulating!

We are going to have some fun this weekend :)

:dust:

I have been using OPK for my last 2 cycles, on cd1 of new cycle and starting to temp too. I use the Clear Blue with the smiley face, very easy to read and so far no issues! Thought you are better testing first thing in the morning but I am reading from you all that 2pm might be a better time, gonna try that this month for sure! Good luck ladies!!

Beachyfeelin that's very exciting! Have fun BDing this weekend!!

Ladies - I am trying smep this cycle so I started opks on cd10 [tuesday]. My opk today [Thursday] is not as dark as the control line but is darker than yesteday and Tuesday. This is good? Right? Lol. I feel so dumb with these but I would assume getting darker is a good sign that I could surge soon.. Tuesday and yesterday I took the tests around 12:30pm and today around 1:30 pm.. would that REALLY make a difference?? Thanks!

Ladies - I am trying smep this cycle so I started opks on cd10 [tuesday]. My opk today [Thursday] is not as dark as the control line but is darker than yesteday and Tuesday. This is good? Right? Lol. I feel so dumb with these but I would assume getting darker is a good sign that I could surge soon.. Tuesday and yesterday I took the tests around 12:30pm and today around 1:30 pm.. would that REALLY make a difference?? Thanks!

My GUESS is that yes, getting darker is better, maybe tomorrow you'll have a definite positive! Don't worry, I feel stupid when it comes to opks...practice makes perfect. I think the more you do them, the easier they get to understand.

I wouldn't think an hour would make a huge difference, I think what matters most is the urine. How long you waited. I only held it for a couple hours before I tested, which is hard for me because I'm an "I pee every hour" type of person! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"