OPK newbie question!

kksy9b

Loving my 2 boys and baby girl!
Reaction score
Hey ladies! I hope you're all doing well today!

I saw my OB about a week and a half ago. Because I've been having wonky cycles she wants me to do a semi-monitored cycle before we start trying. She wants me to use OPKs this month but I've never used them before! I should have asked her but didn't think of it- but WHEN do you start taking them in your cycle? Right after AF? A few days before expected ovulation? And is FMU or in the afternoon better? If you start seeing lines, is it better to test twice in a day until you get a positive?

Sorry the bombardment....I've always had predictable cycles and just haven't for nearly a year now. Hoping to start trying soon but want to make sure my body is functioning right first.

Thank you!

I'm no expert at OPK but if it were me, I'd start the week after AF has ended, so 5-7 days after. You want the test line to be just as dark if not darker than control for a positive OPK. The tests only detect the LH (luteinizing hormone) surge, so it's not a guarantee you released an egg (some women get a surge but no egg is released). If you have no known complications though then chances are you did release an egg and properly ovulated (didn't want to worry you). You can also start temping with a BBT (Basal body temp) thermometer. You take your temp right when you wake up (same time each morning) & chart it with an app like Fertility Friend. It really helps in detecting ovulation as well as can be an early sign for pregnancy. Although, I'm not very knowledgeable concerning the details to OPK or temping.

Good luck hun!! :dust:

Last edited:
Start taking opk tests twice everyday at 10am/11am and 5pm/6pm (always have 6 hours gap between each opk test) from 2-3 days after period stops completely.

Do not use FMU for opk ever.. hold urine for 2 hours before each test. Once you get the test line darker than control line, it means that the test is positive and you are going to ovulate in next 12-36 hours. So BD every other day the entire week and 1-2 days after getting positive. Good luck!

Thank you ladies so much!

I've temped before and am planning to bust it back out in the AM and will start OPKs in a couple of days (AF is done today). I really appreciate the guidance!

I'm thankful we didn't have any fertility issues with our boys but I had both of them in my 20s but your 30s is just a whole new ball game, lol. As long as I get the all clear after this cycle, I'm sure I'll be spamming the sub in my next cycle for opinions :)

Thanks again!

Hey kksyb! The others have already gave great advice. Personally, I only tested once a day around 1 to 3 p.m. and caught my lh surge but some ladies have short surges and have to test 2xday.

I wanted to say that ttc in my 30s has been easier actually. I conceived dd2 1st cycle of full on trying and dd3 we weren't even trying. It took me 18 months to conceive dd1 when I was in my 20s. I'm excited for you to ttc and get your bfp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->