Opk questions - updated with pic

laughingduck

Mother of one daughter
Reaction score
So this is my first cycle of trying to conceive #2. Dd#1 was a surprise so I never used anything like OPK's etc. I am on cd15 today and took my first OPK ever at 2pm. There was a dark line and I thought it meant positive. Then I started reading about OPK's and see that the line has to be darker than the control line, which I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I was curious and took another test at 7pm and this time it was a very faint line. I am wondering if that means maybe I already ovulated and it will bow become fainter and fainter? I usually don't ovulate until cd17 but am somewhat irregular so it changes. Does anyone have any ideas what it means? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new at this! Oh I should mention I am temping and have not had a raise in temp yet. Thanks ahead for any insight or tips on how to use these things :):shrug:

You may have been gearing up to ovulate and then for whatever reason your body decided not to ovulate yet. It happens sometimes, especially if you have the tendency to ovulate late in your cycle. This may be why you ovulate so late. I would :sex: just in case. An egg is viable for up to 36 hours after being released so if you get to :sex: now you may be able to catch it. Otherwise, if you have enough OPKs, I would keep taking them to make sure the line goes stark white negative after a few days. If the line stays, no matter how dark it is, your body may have tricked you and you will actually ovulate later. It is frustrating... believe me, I know!

Oh, and to answer your question, if the test line is as dark as the control it is positive and you should ovulate in a day or so. If the test line goes darker than the control, that may mean you will ovulate very very soon, like in a few hours. I hardly ever catch it on OPK when it is darker than the control. I think I have once but it was at 2 AM when I woke up with pinching pains so I grabbed a test. Lo and behold it was so blazing positive it almost hurt my sleep deprived eyes to look at it LOL! Good luck to you and :dust:

Thank you gregnrachmom! I was not even going to use OPK's but decided to try them out. They are frustrating though, and I kind of regret the decision now lol. I have been using the fertility awareness for years to prevent pregnancy so I am pretty used to temping. My temp did not go up this morning so I guess you are right, it was getting ready to ovulate but didnt! I'm glad because my hubby was to busy with work to dtd yesterday, I will be sure to jump him tonight though lol.

I have one more test so I will take it today. What time should I be taking it? They also sell them at my dollar store so I may grab more. Now I am curious and wnt to get my positively positive OPK lol.

Are these tests positive? They are from the same sample. I thought the first did not work so did a second. It took a while for any lines to show up! I'm not used to looking at these things so any insight would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 6
The one on the right is blaring. Im pretty sure the one on the left is too. I usually start testing on day 11 so then I get a feel for whats positive and what isnt

The one on the right is blaring. Im pretty sure the one on the left is too. I usually start testing on day 11 so then I get a feel for whats positive and what isnt

Thanks! Yes I should have tried earlier but only really thought about it yesterday. It is strange to me that the two tests are slightly different when they came from the exact same sample! Mind you one was a couple minutes more developed than the other so who knows. I am feeling like I'm about to ovulate though so will go on that feeling ;)

Just a quick question on the same subject as its doing my head in-

Usually I just use the Internet ovulation strips- and so far 5 months of failed attempts- I seem to get lines for around 5 days and regardless of times I test they're often really faint

So this month aswell as the cheaps I bought the clear blue advanced digital that apparently shows 4 fertile days

Thursday I tested with CB and got the plain circle (negative)
Friday I tested with a cheap and it came up faintish so I tried with the CB and got the flashing smilie face (high fertility) which supposedly lasts 2 days

This morning when I woke up I expected to get another flashy face but it had gone solid smile- peak
Apparently the test now stays this way for 48 hours.
We are having to use donor sperm as my husbands count is zero- and the donor would be coming tonight and tomorrow.
But I'm worried now that by then that it will be too late based on how quickly the face turned to peak

At the same time this morning I did an Internet one, that's faint- I'd have probably previously counted this as negative

CWB86 I have never used the digitals so don't know what "peak" is supposed to mean? Does it mean you are to have just ovulated, or are about to? An egg can be viable for 12-24 hours and sperm can reach the egg in 45 minutes apparently, so I assume you would still be good, depending on what the test means by "peak". Do you temp? That is a great way to know if you ovulated the day before. It doesn't tell you the days leading up to it though, but may be something to think about if you still have trouble after this cycle!:dust: to you!

I took another opk this morning and the line was not as dark as control anymore, mind you it was also morning urine. I am going to take another at 2pm too. I woke up majorly cramping though so I think I am dropping as egg as I type this :haha:. We:sex: last night so hopefully good timing. I will be able to confirm tomorrow if my temp goes up!

Oh wow that makes me wonder now of my faint opk tests were and are positive ! Gosh Me and dh will lose some weight at this rate lol!!

Oh wow that makes me wonder now of my faint opk tests were and are positive ! Gosh Me and dh will lose some weight at this rate lol!!

Haha. Ya the first opk I was like "cool, positive!" Then I realized it has to be as dark or darker than the other line. Sigh. Lol.

Haha. Ya the first opk I was like "cool, positive!" Then I realized it has to be as dark or darker than the other line. Sigh. Lol.

Lots of sighs I imagine :sex:
At least your not the only one now :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"