OPK veterans? a little help pls - trying opks for the 1st time

newbie_ttc

bfp! on 12.7.11
Reaction score
Ok girls. I made a trip to the dollar store over my lunch break and bought 5 cheapie OPKs. I was so shame! the store was super crowded and I can only imagine what those ppl must have thought of me. I bought a finger nail file and some candy as well so they would not think my sole intent on coming in the store was for OPKs... even tho it was :haha:

Now the questions:

when is the best time to test?

Is it like hpts, they work best with FMU?

Do you girls keep them after u test to compare to the days before and after?

(last question) do u test after u think u O'ed to see if the lines get lighter again?

Sorry for all the questions... just want to be sure to get it right!

Hi,
You shouldn't be embarrased to buy OPK's!

I have heard different advice on when to test, but i've read that many women get their LH surge in the morning and so it wouldn't register on the test until the afternoon, so it might be better to test then. When i know i am in the couple of days around when i should be ovulating i use the OPK's twice a day to make sure i don't miss the surge.
I did keep them for a few days around when i should be ovulating this month so i could see them getting darker. But after i ovulate i don't use them until my next cycle.

good luck
x

I'll do my best, although i've only used them for one month!

when is the best time to test? In the early afternoon I believe

Is it like hpts, they work best with FMU? Nope, it is advised NOT to use FMU, unless you're using Clear Blue OPK's

Do you girls keep them after u test to compare to the days before and after?I didn't, but people do. It's up to you!

(last question) do u test after u think u O'ed to see if the lines get lighter again?
I tested tghe day after and that was it, that was -ve and I think I have a short surge as I tested later on the day I got a +ve in the early afternoon and that too was -ve

Make sure you look for cm as well, I think the opks have been throwing me off course. I normally test till I get a plus then don't test after, last month a week after my +opk I got really good cm checked and it was another plus opk!

Think I might of geared up to ovulate but didn't then my body tried again a week later. So just watch for other signs as well. Xx

when is the best time to test? LATE Afternoon / EARLY evening

Is it like hpts, they work best with FMU? No

Do you girls keep them after u test to compare to the days before and after? Somtimes

(last question) do u test after u think u O'ed to see if the lines get lighter again? The test line will be as dark or darker then the control line when you "O". They are NOT like HPT's to where a line is a line, even though most people will lead you to think that. Some people do get a fade in and then back out pattern and then you might think you are super close one day and completely negative the next but unless the test line is as dark or darker then the control line then you haven't "O"'d.

I would recomend buying these in bulk from amazon because you will need to test from CD10 until CD20 your first couple month(cycles) so you can see a pattern on your +opk day. You can get 40 OPK's for $10 and they give you 10HPT's for free.

From my experience with them over the months...

when is the best time to test? I always test in the afternoon or early evening for best results (sometimes twice a day)

Is it like hpts, they work best with FMU? it's actually advised not to use FMU for opk's

Do you girls keep them after u test to compare to the days before and after? no I personally don't

(last question) do u test after u think u O'ed to see if the lines get lighter again? Sometimes, the first few times I used them I did just to make sure but now I basically just trust them, it's advised to stop testing once you get a positive because it can cause confusion in some circumstances.

Best of luck to you!

also recommend check ebay for the opk's i bought 40 for £1.99 xx

Thanks for the feed back girls! I took my first one at 5pm yesterday and it was negative. My body is soooo weird b/c i always get EWCM days before I actually O and then hardly anything when I actually O. Yesterday and Sunday I had (TMI) gobs of it and it was thicker and quite stringy and I am only on cd10! :dohh: I just hope there is some good CM left closer to Oday for the little :spermy: :haha:

I have a question -
When you get a positive OPK do you need to BD within a certain amount of time? Or just like that day?
For how long do you usually get positives? A day? Two days?

You should BD on the same day and the following two days after your first +ve OPK.

The amount of +ve OPK's varies with different people. I got one +ve OPK this cycle and then a -ve later the same day. Other people get +ve's for 2 days running or even more :shrug:

I have a question -
When you get a positive OPK do you need to BD within a certain amount of time? Or just like that day?

Just to make sure I would BD on the same day and for the next 2 days as you tend to OV 12 - 36 hrs after a positive OPK depending on the brand and your egg will only survive for 12-24 max.

Oh and newbie_ttc I'm exactly the same I had to buy some more today (i'm a POAS addict hehe) and I brought some bleach and my DF some shower gel to make it look a little bit less suspicious haha

Ok, thanks for the help!!

I think to be safe DH and I will just BD for like two days before my O, the two days I get a + opk and the two days after O. That should cover it! ;)

I have a question -

Just to make sure I would BD on the same day and for the next 2 days as you tend to OV 12 - 36 hrs after a positive OPK depending on the brand and your egg will only survive for 12-24 max.

Oh and newbie_ttc I'm exactly the same I had to buy some more today (i'm a POAS addict hehe) and I brought some bleach and my DF some shower gel to make it look a little bit less suspicious haha

:rofl: good to know I am not alone! :friends: Can't wait to POAS when I get home!

Ok, thanks for the help!!

I think to be safe DH and I will just BD for like two days before my O, the two days I get a + opk and the two days after O. That should cover it! ;)

sounds like a good plan luna! I am still trying to formulate mine. I normally O between cd12 and 13 but these last 2 cycles, I suspect I o'ed late on cd15 and stopped bd'ing to early. I'm thinking that CD11 or 12 thru 16 should cover it? :shrug: I just hope DH won't quit on me.

Device MemoryhomeuserpicturesIMG00281.jpg

This is what i got today on the opk. What do u guys think? I have 7 smiley digi's too. should i use one of those or is the line not dark enough yet???

Hard to say the pic is blurry but it doesn't look like the line is dark enough yet but that could be just me.

Well I don't have the best eyes for tests but I don't know if its positive, the line looks a little lighter than the control line to me but then again some women's positives look that way too..hope someone else can lend an opinion.

yeah, the line is lighter than the control line. I am surprised it is as dark as it is for it to be only cd10.

OAN - I have a yorkie too! :happydance: his name is Will and he just turned 3 in November.

Aww ya I love yorkies, we now have 2 of them, one is a pain in the ass and one is my little baby! They are great dogs :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->