OPK vs. Fertility Monitors?

ohsoblue02

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and am interested in opinions about ovulation predictor kits vs. the fertility monitors. My husband and I have been TTC for 2 months (I'm 33, he's 35). The first month off the pill I didn't chart or use OPK's (wanted to give it a month for my cycle to adjust). This month I used an OPK (ClearBlue 20 pk) and got a smiley on day 6 (which I think was a false positive- tried again 4 hours later and got a circle) and then two smileys on day 11. Per the directions, I stopped testing that day. Now I feel like my period is about to start (right on schedule) so I'm guessing we were not successful this month.

I've already purchased another OPK for next month (plus a bunch of the cheaper test strips) and am planning to test twice every day for the full month instead of stopping when I see a smiley. If we aren't successful next month, I'm trying to decide if it would be a better investment to purchase a fertility monitor. They're more expensive for sure, but when you add up the cost of buying OPK's every month, it seems like in the long run maybe it would make more sense, even with the cost of new test sticks every month. Haven't started charting temps yet, but might start doing that this month as well.

I like that they can be used first thing in the morning (way more convenient) and measure two different hormones, I'm just not sure if that's worth the added cost. Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the monitor? Is it really that much better?

I say go for the monitor, it tells you exactly when you are releasing your egg and gives a week of fertility. With the OPKs you may miss your window all together! I got pregnant the first try on the monitor, using it to go for a sibling this time around!

Pixie dust to you!!

Id say the monitor is your best bet just because I did a little experiment today with mine!!
So today the monitor gave me a peak reading so that means within the next 12-36 hours I will O. So I peed on an OPK a few hours later and even posted the pic here just to see if anyone thinks its a POS test. Its not even POS as of yet even though my monitor says go for it your going to O!!
So basically if I only go by my OPK I might miss my chances since it isn't reading POS yet and we wouldn't BD until maybe tomorrow when actually according to my monitor today is the best chance!!
Besides the monitor reads 2 different hormones which is better than one and no line guessing games either!!
You can get a good deal on EBay as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->