OT Baby Ear piercing

My mom had mine done at 3 months. I still don't really understand WHY she did, but I'm kind of glad because it all worked out. I will probably wait until school age, maybe 6 if I have a daughter.

I'm 26 and don't have my ears pierced, so I don't have an answer of when my daughter will. Let's just say, its her body, I will have nothing to do with decorating it :rofl:

I have no problem with it, I just won't be doing it here.

I'm surprised at the amount of women who said they would or do judge. Makes me kind of sad. I don't judge any mom(to a point of course such as putting baby in harms way). We all have our own reasonings and different ways of doing things.

I would NEVER pierce a baby's ears. I've put my opinions forward on other threads but i'm going to wait until she asks/is old enough to look after them herself x

Personally I don't like earrings on babies - I will let Sophie get hers done when she is old enough to decide for herself - no younger than 10 though...

Aisling won't be having hers done until she's at least 8/9 but really not until she is old enough to ask and to understand that pain involved and how to care for them. It's her body and as far as I'm concerned I have absolutely no right to do something like that to her body, that is and always will be her choice.

I tend to see things slightly different if we're looking at cultural or religious reasons but I personally find it absolutely unacceptable to subject a child to pain for no reason other than vanity of the parent.

If and when my daughter wants it done (and my son, if I have one in the future!), and understands what it involves then she can have it done.

I'm certainly not going to choose to punch holes in her body for her!

I'm surprised at the amount of women who said they would or do judge. Makes me kind of sad. I don't judge any mom(to a point of course). We all have our own reasonings and different ways of doing things.

I see what you mean but at the same time if i shoved a hole in Rivers hand i would most certainly be judged by everyone so why should ears be differnt?

I wont let Jessica get it done until about 8 or 9 ish, if she asks me. I think thats an acceptable age. Personally, I dont like earrings on babies, but thats just me.

I have a son, but if i have a daughter, i'd say 8/9 when she's old enough to care for them herself. Its that age that I got the period talk, and the hygiene talk etc, and it makes sense that they get them pierced when they are more self-aware so they can watch out for infection etc.

I hate it on babies though... earrings dig into my head if i fall asleep with them on, and it hurts... id hate a baby to be poked in the head by a stud! x

I'm surprised at the amount of women who said they would or do judge. Makes me kind of sad. I don't judge any mom(to a point of course). We all have our own reasonings and different ways of doing things.

Exactly - you don't judge to a point. And then you judge. We all do, it's human nature! No matter how tolerant we believe we are, everyone has things that push their judging buttons - for some people it's something as little as dummies and for some people it's body modification on babies... :winkwink:

I think babies having their ears pierced seems to be a lot more common in other countries than it is in Britain.

Like hayley90 said, I also find earrings uncomfortable to sleep on so I'd not want Daisy to have to feel uncomfotable but not be able to express it which is another reason why I'd wait a good few years.

Exactly - you don't judge to a point. And then you judge. We all do, it's human nature! No matter how tolerant we believe we are, everyone has things that push their judging buttons - for some people it's something as little as dummies and for some people it's body modification on babies... :winkwink:

The only timei judge a mom is if they are putting their baby in harms way. Otherwise I don't. But i didn't want to argue it just made me sad. I think we are all great moms with our own way of doing things.

The only timei judge a mom is if they are putting their baby in harms way. Otherwise I don't. But i didn't want to argue it just made me sad. I think we are all great moms with our own way of doing things.

I guess some would say that deliberately having holes put in a child's ears is putting them in harm's way :shrug:

Absolutely - no arguing, just different opinions :flower:

when she is old enough to save her pocket / birthday / xmas money and make the decision herself AND look after them herself, so probaby 12 / 13 ish....

None of the ages listed in the poll. I won't pierce them until she tells me she wants them pierced. Even then I reckon 11 yrs.

I hate seeing babies with their ears pierced! I don't get why any mum would make holes in their babies ears. What purpose does it solve, apart from cause unnecessary pain and possible infection. I think it's cruel! Not to mention the fact that they could get them caught on clothes etc.

Why do it. It's to no benefit to the baby at at!

Sorry it's jut not for me and one of those topics that I stand firmly on.

I had my daughters pierced at 7months. My mum had mind done at 5months xxx

I will let my girls have their ears pierced when they ask to have them done as long as thats at an age where they can look after them etc

i dont understand the need for a parent to get their babies ears pierced either, my mum had my ears pierced when i was a baby (they closed up at some point) and then i asked to get them pierced when i was about 8. (i remember this and still remember how much it hurt)
i dont hold anything against my mother for putting holes in my ears as a baby lol but its definately not something i would do as a parent.

She'll have them done when she's old enough to ask for them and understand that she has to take care of them and it'll hurt!

I don't like ear piercing on babies or toddlers personally. I walked by Claires Accessories when i was pregnant and their was this poor baby having her ears pierced screaming her little heart out, it made me cry and yeah i judged the parents, absolutely.

I know someone who had their ears pierced at about 6 months, she's now 14 and the piercing is completely the wrong place, and even worse, different places on each ear. Looks bloodey awful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->