OT - Is it rude...

NG09

Reaction score
To ask people to take their shoes off when they come into your house???

Just watching a house programme on ITV and the guy asked his visitors to take their shoes off as he has a cream carpet and one woman thought it was a bit rude.

I always ask people to take their shoes off when coming in our house as 1) the baby rolls about on the floor and 2) we have cream carpets through the house.

Whay are your thoughts??? :flow:

I think its rude to come into some ones house and keep your shoes on, unless they are wearing shoes themselves.

i dont ask, i TELL people to take their shoes off! rofl

Ha - I'm watching it too!
I thought it was rude until we got new carpets throughout our house! Now, I ask people to take their shoes off!
xx

i think the only time id keep my shoes on were if their floor was going to dirty my feet/socks!! otherwise i always take my shoes off

x

It's not rude to ask guests to remove their shoes as they come into your house. I don't ask too often though as my hallway carpet is bogging anyway because of LO's pram as you wheel it through the door :dohh: But if it's been cleaned scrubbed and hoovered then shoes are taken off so it stays clean for as long as possible before I have to scrub it all over again :rofl:

I have a friend from Korea and it's like a custom there that you remove your shoes as you enter the house and put on a pair of supplied slippers. They live here now and still carry this out :flower:

In my old house I asked everyone to get there shoes off, workmen an everything lol. I had a cream carpet in the living room. I even once had a mad party with about 20 poeple in mine (most were 18yr old teens) and I made them all take their shoes off on the way in and said there were to be no red/pink/blue/green etc drinks in the house due to risk of spillage haha

Don't take my shoes off in my house although I usually wear slippers. We wore shoes in my mums house when we grew up, although she has always had wood floors.

I have no problem people telling me to take my shoes off, although I don't ever remember the last time I was ever asked to :D

I think it's rude if people come into my house without taking their shoes off, LOL!!! We have cream carpets right through, and we have the tiniest little hallway which is laminate then you're straight into the living room so it's almost like coming straight in from outside onto the cream carpet.

I was brought up not wearing shoes in the house, and we've had the same rule in our home too since we got our own place. Apart from anything else, I want it to be clean for Sophie roaming around on the floor.

We have friends who ALWAYS leave their shoes on when they visit, even on the most filthy wet days and they never even wipe their feet even on the muddiest days! One time when they visited DH asked them to take their shoes off but they either didn't hear, or pretended not to, so next time he made a big sign on the computer that says "Please remove all shoes before entering the living room" and put it on the hall side of the living room door :rofl:

I was worried in case that was rude but it's mostly worked!! We work hard for our stuff and it's nice to keep your place nice, especially when you've got a baby going about the floor. We hired a rug doctor just before Sophie got home from neonatal, and I was raging when people still came in with muddy shoes, lol!

If ppl are coming into the front room where are carpets are cream i ask.

I think its rude walking into someones house and NOT taking shoes off! I always take my shoes off when entering someones house, asked or not.

Not at all rude. I think it'd be rude to go to someone's house and keep them on IMHO xx

nope I don't think it's rude, to be honest I think people are ruder for not taking them off to start with

Thanks ladies, glad I'm not the only one who does this!!! lol

I shampoo the carptes quite regularly to keep them nice and new looking (I think I may have a bit of a compulsive disorder!! haha) and it ticks me off when people just trapes in with dirty feet, I would never go into someone elses house with my shoes on.

I don't think its rude at all. But its one of the reasons I didn't put carpet down stairs. Bigger reasons were that we have 4 dogs so that is a LOT of space for muddy paws to mess up lol. But I do ask that people make sure their feet are dry because we have the faux hardwood that can't have moisture sit on it.

I don't think it's rude at all; you have every right to want to keep your carpets clean and looking nice for as long as possible. Plus, like you said, your LO lays on the floor so it's for hygiene reasons too. We don't have carpets but we have real wood floor and if someone comes in with really high/pointy heels I do ask take them off as they leave little heel marks/dents in the wood. Ideally everyone would take their shoes off when they came into my house, but I'm not overfussed if they have normal shoes/trainers/boots on..... but If I had carpets I'd insist that ALL shoes be removed. :flower:

It's rude not to offer to remove your shoes when you go into someone's house. If I have to be asked to remove my shoes, I think I've been discourteous in forgetting to offer to remove them. So no, it's not rude. I don't want people's skanky shoes trapsing through my house, especially now I have a child. Who knows when the last time they stood in some dog crap was!!

I was brought up with a no shoes in the house rule. Dr. Oz (from Oprah) also says it is a huge thing you can do to protect your family's health because your shoes pick up all sorts of unhealthy stuff from lawn fertilizers etc.

I always take off my shoes at others' houses unless they tell me not to. And we ask our guests to leave their shoes by the door.

I wish I'd asked people to take their shoes off when we moved in - now we have really obvious track marks where people have walked.

my mums bought be up always to take my shoes off in the house so i always automatically do it. i dont think its rude at all your house your rules.

and i watched the programme to lol
<3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back