OT - pole - reptiles

mystika802

Reaction score
I am doing some market research into the reptile industry. I was wondering how many of you have or would consider owning a reptile.
Any other insight into the reptile industry would be great :)
Thanks ladies
Do you own a reptile?
Would you consider owning a reptile?
I am not with any company just doing some research into the market for myself.

I have a snake, they make great pets and we have a tortoise

I have a corn snake, used to have a bearded dragon, i am going to buy a royal python in a year or so

I have 5 snakes. I've had lots more in the past. I've been keeping them for years.

I'd choose a reptile over a fluffy any day!

I have a leopard gecko and 2 chilli rose tarantulas. Love em all I really want a snake but dont have room :nope:

I have a tortoise - he has an amazing personality (seriously) and his favourite past time is coming to explore if you wrap any presents on the floor, xmas or birthday. he can also retreat safely into shell if LO comes rampaging over!

i did consider it years ago, but now no i wouldnt own one.

why? because they are expensive for the equipment they need to keep them healthy, they need a lot of time to keep them sociable and with 3 cats and roommates dog, plus Lo i just dont have the time for any more pets!

and id be worried about it getting loose, and it would thrive because we have a lot of mice around, and im already trying to get rid of the mice let alone a loose pet! (hence why i dont own hamsters anymore either!)

we already have a lot of wild snakes which are very deadly here, like copperheads
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_contortrix

when we moved into this house it had been empty for a long while, we found 4 separate copperhead nests in the back yard which we had to have destroyed.

I need to bring my Lo up understanding that snakes are dangerous animals, especially during his younger years, so that he doesnt go upto any snakes int he yard.

when hes older and will understand better i'll tell him the difference between pet snakes and wild snakes, but still wont be owning one.

we have a lot of wild tortoises that come into our yard, we wont be making them pets, we'll just let them be and enjoy watching them :)

why? because they are expensive for the equipment they need to keep them healthy, they need a lot of time to keep them sociable and with 3 cats and roommates dog, plus Lo i just dont have the time for any more pets!

and id be worried about it getting loose, and it would thrive because we have a lot of mice around, and im already trying to get rid of the mice let alone a loose pet! (hence why i dont own hamsters anymore either!)

we already have a lot of wild snakes which are very deadly here, like copperheads

when we moved into this house it had been empty for a long while, we found 4 separate copperhead nests in the back yard which we had to have destroyed.

I need to bring my Lo up understanding that snakes are dangerous animals, especially during his younger years, so that he doesnt go upto any snakes int he yard.

when hes older and will understand better i'll tell him the difference between pet snakes and wild snakes, but still wont be owning one.

we have a lot of wild tortoises that come into our yard, we wont be making them pets, we'll just let them be and enjoy watching them :)

I have to tape one of the spiders lid down as she likes to push up at it and make a run for it :haha::haha:

We only now have a 15 year old corn snake and a chilli rose tarrantula, but we've had alsorts. We used to have people come over just to look/hold them we had so many and bred bearded dragons for a while. We're now trying not to go buying more because we want our money to go into our future little boy.

Ahh but there is your solution, the mice wouldn't be there very long if you got a snake :haha:

I have to tape one of the spiders lid down as she likes to push up at it and make a run for it :haha::haha:

oh god your spider wouldnt survive in our house, we have spiders called brown recluses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider they wont kill you, but their bite basically injects a liquid that rots away your flesh. (google some brown recluse spider bites and you'll get an idea of what i mean!) so we have to have a pest control agent come out and spray the inside and outside of our house so we dont an infestation.

living in the UK was certainly easier, no deadly, dangerous creatures to worry about!

Ahh but there is your solution, the mice wouldn't be there very long if you got a snake :haha:

lol yes but i dont like anything being loose in the house! the mice we keep catching and releasing (yes i have a soft spot for animals!) and they keep coming back in, goign to have do something unkind i think and get rid of them permenantly because they will attract the copperheads in the house and thats the last thing we want! infact the first day we came in to do repairs and redocrate the house we found a copperhead in the closest of the back bedroom, we had to have a wildlife guy come out and capture it.

im not scared of spiders, or snakes....they just dont belong in my house (especially the dangerous ones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->