OT Shutter Island

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by happygal, Mar 27, 2010.

1. happygal

happygal mum of 3

I downloaded shutter island and watched it with friends last night. i like films where you need to think and im usually quite good at figuring them out but oh my god that film totally confused me :wacko: im still not sure i totally understand what was going on :haha: can anyone shed any light???

2. babybel

babybel Mummy to two

Was way to confusing for me lol, had to concentrate too hard. I ended up going to IMDB and Reading the full synopsis to explain why the he'll had gone on! X x

3. Emx

Emx Mum/Cautiously pregnant

Ive read the book but not seen the film... what bit didnt you get (even the book is a tad hard going!)

OT but I watched Paranormal Activity last night (whilst eating curry) - was trying to scare baby out! Very scary film (baby still not out though!!)

4. happygal

happygal mum of 3

almost the whole film confused me lol. think ill have to watch it again to see if i can figure it out :haha:

5. CocoaOne

CocoaOne Well-Known Member

Read the plot on wikipedia Hun - that explains it better than I can. I really liked it, Leo does some fab films x

6. nikkibr

nikkibr Well-Known Member

that film was AMAZING!! i am usually so slow with films but surprisingly i got it!! Leo is basically in the mental home himself for shooting his wife who did kill thier three kids because she was mad. he keeps forgetting why he is in the mental home and thinks that he is a detective who has been called into the home to find a missing woman....however the hospital were just letting him play this "role play" out so at the end he could figure out the truth for himself - like he did when he went into the lighthouse. they jogged his memory and he remembered the truth for a while. they wanted him to remember it so that he didnt have to have invasive brain surgery. but then it ended with him sitting on the step and he had gone back to forgetting he was a patient in there and still thinking he was a detective looking for that missing girl so they walked off with the other drs to go and have that brain surgery thing! hope that helps and after all of that hope im actually right!! that was my interpretation any way! xx

7. Missy86

Missy86 Family complete

Me and Oh saw it but didnt like it, we saw the plot twist coming a mile off

8. CocoaOne

CocoaOne Well-Known Member

At the end Leo says "is it better to live as a monster, or die as a good man?" (something like that anyway) Which I took to mean that he had been 'cured' and knew what he'd done, but was pretending to have regressed back so they would do the lobotomy and he'd never have to remember what had happened to his wife/kids ever again.
    Very interesting film! I did see the twist coming that he was actually mad and a patient, but it was cleverly done and I kept doubting myself!

9. Laura12355

Laura12355 Guest

I thought it was a great film.

Gave me nightmares though I didnt like that drowned girl it was horrible!
    :\

x

10. Karlielkc

Karlielkc Pregnant (expecting) 1st

i went to see this on wednesday - but it went off when he was in the top of lighthouse with the main doc and he explained sheehan was his partner/ partner was a doctor..the projector broke so they gave us all free tickets lol x but i wanted to watch the end, i cant find the explanationo f full film anywhere! x

11. Missy86

Missy86 Family complete

Was taking to other half and we said it should have had another twist at the end

that would have been a shocker

12. Louisa K

Louisa K Well-Known Member

I knew he was one of the patients from early on, I liked the end though where he says its better to die a good man than live as a monster..

13. happygal

happygal mum of 3

i was expecting there to be another twist, was a bit disappointed when it just ended lol.
    when he was on about finding out who patient 67 was, i did wonder if it was him. i thought it was a good film, just a bit confusing x