OT - Toddler bedwetting x

ClaireMuir123

Mummy to Jayden and Ava
Reaction score
Hey Ladies :flower:

I've posted this in parenting but thought I'd post it in here too, incase anyone has any words of wisdom!

So my son has just turned 3, had been potty trained since he was 26 months and rarely has any accidents, even in the beginning. But in the last month or so we've had soo many bedwetting occasions I'm at my wits end. I know it's not my sons fault so never ever give him a row or get cross with him about it. I thought maybe he was sleeping so heavily now that he couldn't physically get up to pee, but this morning at 4am, he climbed into my bed, and within 15 minutes, had peed it. Again I didn't get cross with him but it got me wondering, why is he wetting the bed? Surely he couldn't have been in a deep sleep if he'd managed to walk into my bed?

We always make sure he pees before bed, no juice after 6pm (he's usually in bed for 7-730) and even lifted him out of bed at 10pm to pee. And even though he doesn't pee the bed every night, it's happening alot more than when he was 1st potty trained.

Tonight I've went and bought those pyjama pants but it felt sooo wrong putting them on him as he hasn't even been in pull-ups at night in about 4-5 months and even he asked 'am I a baby?' It broke my heart because he's so grown up but I can't physically wash his bedsheets every single day. I told him they were special pants for big clever boys and if they're dry in the morning he'll get a sticker for his chart.

I know this is long so thank you for reading of you get this far. Does anyone else have any other advice????

Claire xxx

what u are doing is the right thing hunni. we went thru it with my now 5 yr old. The only thing i would suggest is not to lift him at night because he wont always be aware of you doing that and wont know he is emptying his bladder. you need to train his body to recognise a full bladder and wake on that feeling. with my now 8yr old we had to listerally flood him with drinks so his body would need to pee at night, it only took 2-3 days to train his bladder. Persevere hun but for now the pull ups are a good idea xx
:hug:

Thank you!

We only woke him up once or twice and he just got really grumpy and wanted back to bed, I don't think he even pee'd so gave up on it lol. I just hope he doesn't pee in the pull-up just cos he can, although I don't think he will. Will keep you updated and see how he goes in the night. What about when he wakes up and comes into our bed, should I take him to the toilet then?

Claire x

Does he know about the baby, changes in atmosphere behaviour etc can make a young child regress, or maybe he's having bad dreams and scared so pee's! I read that regression is normal particually in boys!

I would take off the pull ups as that might confuse him, why not try a maternity mat the ones you use a few weeks before your due if your waters break- put it under his bum and he can lay on that! I know that will only protect his bottom sheet but one less to clean!

My little girl is only just potty trained last 3 weeks as point blank refused and still put pull up on at night, some mornings are dry some wet so we are gonna wait a little longer until we know she has completely grasped the concept ifkwim

Hugs hope it gets easier xxx

Hun do you think it could be because you're pregnant and he can sense a change? I mean I don't know what to suggest as DD isn't potty trained but I know changes can affect their toilet habits. Xx

i would lead him to the toilet and then back to his bed hun xx

I don't think it's really anything to do with the baby, he's know about her for almost 4 months. I don't think the pull-up will confuse him, he's been toilet trained for so long and knows all the differences in wet/dry etc. I'll see how tonight goes and will make a decision from there. Thanks everyone :flower: xxx

There are pants that you can get with a censor pad in side them that are connected to a little alarm. When a drop of wee goes on the pad it sets the alarm off which wakes them up to let them know they need to pee. Sometimes it's because they are being a bit lazy because there half asleep.
Im having problems with my youngest who turned 3 two weeks ago. I started potty training him back in september and he was doing so well. Now his just constanly weeing and pooing him self on a daily basis!! He only does it at home thou, if were out he lets me know when he needs the toilet. Pfft

There are pants that you can get with a censor pad in side them that are connected to a little alarm. When a drop of wee goes on the pad it sets the alarm off which wakes them up to let them know they need to pee. Sometimes it's because they are being a bit lazy because there half asleep.
Im having problems with my youngest who turned 3 two weeks ago. I started potty training him back in september and he was doing so well. Now his just constanly weeing and pooing him self on a daily basis!! He only does it at home thou, if were out he lets me know when he needs the toilet. Pfft

Maybe it's a turning 3 thing? Lol, Jayden was 3 on the 18th March and not long after that stood on the stairs and poo'd his pants! I have no idea why but luckily he's not done it again.

Maybe he's doing it for attention at home? Because he obviously knows when he needs a pee or poo when you're out and doesn't want to soil himself. My advice would be to ignore the accidents completely and praise his every time he goes on the toilet or potty (be really over the top lol) This is what I done with Jayden to begin with and it worked for me.

Boys eh?! Lol xxx

I peed in the bed until I was like 12. The Dr gave me a prescription nose spray that stopped it INSTANTLY! I had to use it nightly until my body was in the habit of not needing to pee, then until I felt comfortable using it less and less. Amazing stuff!

Just a thought but have you taken him into the doc? Sometimes with LOs so young they get bladder infections and dont really know something is wrong. They can do a simple urinalysis in the office and atleast rule that out!

We put Phoebe on the toilet everynight when we got to bed about 11ish, if we dont she will wet the bed as she is such a heavy sleeper but she has at times woken and shouted for the toilet so she is definately recognising now when she needs to go. Im working up to stopping the toilet at night.
Hopefully it is just a stage, they all go through them. I think you are doing all the right things Claire, its just difficult to know what else to do isnt it? If we ever have any daytime accidents, which are very rare, its because she has left it until the last moment to say she needs a wee because she can be a bit lazy lol. x

Thanks Darling me, I haven't had him at the Dr yet but definately something to think about.

So last night, he came into my bed as normal about about 4am and I left him maybe 15 minutes, then hubby took him to the toilet (when he was awake, not sleeping) and he pee'd in the toilet, back to bed and slept until 8.30am - totally dry! He loves his pull-ups but knows they're not for peeing in, he's still wearing them now! Lol.

Thanks for everyones advice, will keep it all in mind :flower: xxx

Thanks Barbles. It's confusing me because he used to wake up in the night when he needed a pee and I don't know now if he's being lazy or if he's genuinely sleeping through it. We keep a potty in his room incase he gets up and doesn't get his gate open in time.

I should just add at this point, we didn't restrict his fluid after 6pm UNTIL he started wetting again. Just hoping that it'll go away lol xxx

Maybe it's a turning 3 thing? Lol, Jayden was 3 on the 18th March and not long after that stood on the stairs and poo'd his pants! I have no idea why but luckily he's not done it again.

Maybe he's doing it for attention at home? Because he obviously knows when he needs a pee or poo when you're out and doesn't want to soil himself. My advice would be to ignore the accidents completely and praise his every time he goes on the toilet or potty (be really over the top lol) This is what I done with Jayden to begin with and it worked for me.

Boys eh?! Lol xxx

Charlie turned 3 on the 20th of March lol.
His done well the last few days and stayed dry and clean. Thank god! I didn't have any problems with my older 2 son's. So i guess it's a bit much to ask for hoping it would be plain sailing with all 3 lol. Im sure we will get there in the end. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->