Our 6 month story : )

AmeliePoulain

Mama to 3 girls
Reaction score
I always said I would do a little thread like this if we made it to 6 months....and here we are today :flower:

I don't think our bf story is particularly exceptional but without a doubt getting this far is the probably the my proudest achievement ever :blush:

Ivy was born after a fairly traumatic induction due to my gestational diabetes. What followed was a pretty horrible hospital experience with Ivy's blood sugar being monitored before and after every feed and in effect forced formula top ups.

I had the normal few days of my nips toughening up but was blessed with a baby with a beautiful latch - unfortunately I had a midwife that thought that because I wasn't engorged and wasnt leaking that my milk couldnt possibly have come in, she left my house on day 3 telling me to buy some formula and to start flushing out her jaundice.

By day 10 Ivy still wasnt back to her birthweight and I was all over the place - I didnt know if I was bf or ff. I was an absolute wreck and the midwife was coming around daily to weigh Ivy. It only took til day 15 and Ivy was back to her birth weight and finally the midwife from hell backed off a bit...

The next challenge was that I was absolutely obsessed with her weight gain, the poor little thing ended up on the kitchen scales almost every day. I was an avid nappy counter and at one point I think I developed a dependence of fenugreek :blush: I thought there must be something wrong - I don't leak, I don't get engorged, I can only express 1oz and my baby isnt huge...luckily throughout all of this Ivy made every attempted ff an absolute battle and we were down to only one bottle of formula a day.

Despite my fixation with her weight gain I was determined to get off the formula - every day I said to myself 'this will be the day you can do this on your own'. All the mucking about with formula had taken its toll and we went through 8 weeks of what felt like continuous cluster feeding - I sobbed my way through new years eve when she fed for 14 hours in a row. Eventually though one night we cracked it, she didnt have a bottle. It took another couple of weeks but we did it finally and we were exclusively bf by 10 weeks.

Since then we havent really looked back - I have come to accept that as I am only 5ft 1 and my DH is as skinny as a rake I shouldnt be shocked that we have produced a dinky little 2nd centile baby :blush: We have ridden out a 3 month distratable phase which resulted in me inventing the 'udder technique' (don't ask :haha:) and now I am without a doubt addicted to bf and can't wait for the next 6 months.

I owe it all to my little Ivy though - for being absolutely determined to bf.....oh and she refuses to take a bottle now!

Attachments

• cuddle.jpg
    cuddle.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 16
  • boob.jpg
    boob.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 13
  • feeding.jpg
    feeding.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 13
well done, thats a lovely little story and great photos :) you should be very proud :flower:

oh hun this nearly made me boo:cry::haha: a massive congratulations for getting to your 6 months!! :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::haha::thumbup: such an achievement:thumbup: for me also:happydance: and like you say all the struggles at the start and your now udderring technique :rofl::rofl: its so worth it isn't it:dance: so if i was there i would give you this:cake: enjoy it my lovely :hugs: x

Beautiful story!!! Congrats to the both of you. I love the pictures!

well done you. Lovely pics..............made me cry xxx

Well done, lovely photos to have for future memories. Just right to be a proud mummy.

Well done; what an inspiring story! I know what you mean about the scales; and we have proper baby ones; they have now been banished to the top of the wardrobe xx

Well done Ms Poulain! :thumbup: what an acheivement!

Well done, you are an inspiration!! xx

Thanks for your wonderful story. Isn't it amazing what the story behind the story is for many of us? To able to be proud of yourself for persisting even when the times were very tough? Well done. Hopefully I will get round to writing my own six month story (never thought I would get even to five months!) soon. THough my beloved little bugger is absolutely refusing to feed today. Why? I wish I knew!

Congrats!! Fab story, achievement and little lady!!

What a wonderful story! Well done for persevering. Lovely pics too. X

Aww such a lovely story :D you have inspired me to do the same when I reach 6 months!! Big congrats you've done a fabulous job :flower: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->