• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Our beautiful Daisy's birth story, long, traumatic.

Jchihuahua

Mummy to 3
Reaction score
Warning- you may not want to read my birth story if you've not yet had your baby!

My daughter Daisy was born at 38 weeks and 5 days on Wednesday 23rd December at 10:36am, weighing 6lbs and 12oz. I had a very difficult labour and birth and found the experiences so traumatic but she is so so worth every second of it. Even though my experience was horrid every single midwife and doctor I saw were lovely and I am so grateful to them for it.

I developed obstetric cholestasis at 36 weeks pregnant and was monitored at the ante natal day unit every 2 days. I also had scans and blood tests constantly. They decided to induce me at 38 weeks which I was delighted about as the OC was making my life a misery. I had no idea then how awful early inductions can be and I would never ever want to be induced early again.

I was due to be induced at exactly 38 weeks which was Friday 18th December. I phoned the ante natal ward that morning to find out what time to go in but they were very very busy and had no beds available so I waited all day to hear if I'd get to go in that day. I didn't get a bed but luckily at 8am on the Saturday morning I got a call to say they had a bed and to go in at 11am. I was delighted and totally expected to have my baby girl a day or so later!

I was strapped to the monitors pretty much all the time due to the OC and they induced me using a propess pesssary at 3pm that day. That was rather painful! My cervix was closed and long due to being induced early.

I had to wait 24 hours to see if my contractions began and if they didn't I would have the prostin gel inserted. I was still strapped to the monitors all the time and they picked up that I was contracting. 24 hours later I was still having regular tightenings but my cervix had not dilated. I was contracting too much naturally to have the gel though so it was just a waiting game.

The following day, Monday, they checked again to see if they could give me the gel yet but I was still contracting too much, but still not dilated either. It was so, so frustrating. I spent the whole time strapped to the monitors or walking around the hospital trying to make something happen! My hubby wasn't allowed to stay overnight so I missed him so much and didn't sleep at all any of the nights I was there.

By Tuesday evening (I was sick of internals by this point!) they decided that I was 2cm dilated which was enough to have my waters broken, hooray, finally!!!, so now it was just a waiting game for a bed to come available on the delivery suite.

Wednesday at 6pm I'd left my bed and gone downstairs to the canteen for a cuppa when my phone rang and it was the midwife telling me they had a bed on the delivery suite. I was so excited, I could have kissed her! I virtually ran back to the ante natal ward to collect up my stuff and by 6:30pm me and hubby were settled in our room on the delivery suite.

The midwife examined me and said she didn't think I was dilated enough to break my waters and couldn't belive the other midwife had said I was. I was gutted!!! She said I was only 1cm and had a try with a hook thing but no luck. I was starting to think I was going to be sent back to the ante natal ward. She went to speak to a doctor and they came back with a long stick thing and she had a go with that. It took a while but all of a sudden liquid came gushing out and I was so relieved!!

After all the reading up I'd done on different positions for labour I then found out that I would have to spend the whole time on a drip and strapped to the monitors so was basically not allowed to move from the bed at all the entire time. I hadn't realised this happens when you're induced. The monitors were showing that baby was active and had a good heart beat and that my contractions were coming regularly. The midwife was pleased and said my traces were text book. This went on for about 4 hours and was becoming more painful but I managed with no pain relief at all. The midwife said she was sure things would have progressed as my traces were so text book and I was having 4 strong contractions in 10 minutes but when she examined me she was shocked and said she couldn't understand it but I was still only 1cm dilated. I felt crushed and started to cry. I couldn't believe nothing had happened. I carried on like this for another 2 hours and the contractions got more and more painful until it was pretty unbearable. The traces from my monitoring were still textbook -happy, active baby and regular strong contractions.

The midwife could see I was struggling with the pain and gave me diamorphine about 1am. Me and my hubby are sure I was given too much, even though this was strongly denied, as the effect it had on me was immediate. I could barely speak or function, I was falling asleep and was totally and utterly out of it and incoherent. My hubby said he was shocked as it happened instantly and I couldn't function at all. Very worrying also immediately the healthy traces for my baby, who had been active and had a strong heartbeat every time she was monitored during my 6 days in hospital, started to go very wrong. Her heartbeat slowed right down and she stopped moving and became distressed. They were very worried about her heartbeat and we said it must be the diamorphine as she had been perfectly fine up until the minute I was given that drug but they said it was nothing to do with that. We still feel that it must have been though.

Anyway my labour carried on like this for a few more hours and baby became more and more distressed and her heart beat caused more and more concern. They had a metal stick thing with a clamp on it that they put in me to clamp on her head to monitor her more closely. They started talking about doing an emergency c- section to get her out straight way but decided to do some blood tests on her first. They also used some metal instruments to scratch her head with to take blood samples. They took 3 blood samples and sent them to analyse immediately. The machine to analyse them had stopped working so they had to scratch her poor little head again 3 more times and then the same thing happened and the machine wouldn't work again so they had to scratch her head yet again 3 more times. Eventually they got the results and they said the results were what they'd hoped for which meant I could carry on with normal labour. This part is all blurry to me as I was still pretty much out of it.

By this point I really wanted a caesarian as I just wanted her out of me and safely in my arms before she became more distressed and I was so scared her heart was going to stop altogether.

The diamorphine wore off a few hours later and the contractions were totally horrendous so I was given an epidural. It was so hard having to sit still to have the spinal done while the contractions were coming but it certainly did ease the pain and made things much better, until I started to realise I could feel everything again and it turned out that the drip had fallen out and had to be put back in. Having the catheter wasn't that pleasant either! The baby was still in distress and I had a room full of people all the time as a c-section was still on the cards right up until the last minute. I was examined at 7am and was 8cm. An hour and a half later I was 10cm and they said I could start pushing.

My epidural had been topped up and it was so hard to feel my contractions to know when to push and I had an awful time trying to push at the right time. I ripped internally pushing so hard and with every single push I threw up. I wasn't getting anywhere with the pushing and when they examined me they said the baby's head was twisted and stuck so they needed to do a forceps delivery. A doctor told me to keep pushing for half an hour more then they'd do the forceps but I burst into tears and refused. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't feel when to push, I was vomiting all over everything, the room looked like a blood bath as I was bleeding really heavily and I wasn't getting anywhere and the baby's heartbeat was getting slower and slower. He agreed they'd do it there and then so my legs were strapped up into the stirrups and off they went. I had an episiotomy done and ended up with a third degree tear as well as where I was torn internally. I didn't feel it obviously because of the epidural but now, OH MY GOD OWWWWWW!!!

Eventually at 10:36am on Wednesday morning with the help of the forceps my baby girl made her entrance into the world...with the cord wrapped tightly around her neck. It was the worst part of the whole thing. She looked dead and me and hubby both thought she was. She was a horrendous colour and was all limp. Before I'd even had a chance to have a proper look at her they rushed her to the side of the room and after what was probably only a few moments but felt like hours we heard a little spluttering sound and she started crying. Me and hubby burst into tears. The relief was unbelievable. He cuddled her while I was stitched up. I was so desperate to hold my baby girl and it seemed like forever until I was allowed to. Once they did give her to me I felt like I never ever wanted to let go. I love her so much.

We named her Daisy Kathleen and she weighed 6lbs and 12oz. Her little face was all battered and bruised from her birth - her eyes were both swollen and have only now started to open, her nose and lips were all swollen and she had marks and bruising all over her face and cuts on her head from the blood samples they took. It makes me so sad that she had to go through all that but now, 3 days later, her face is almost healed and she is at home, happy, so so good and quiet, breastfeeding like a professional and an absolute joy and pleasure to have. She is so tiny and petite and delicate - her newborn clothes are all way too big! She really is our christmas angel and is the most precious thing in the whole world.

Just after birth
https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/01devotchka/d0MediumWebview.jpg

A few hours old
https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/01devotchka/d2MediumWebview.jpg

2 days old
https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/01devotchka/d19LargeWebview.jpg

wow what a terrible experience, but your daughter is beautiful xx

She is really beautiful.:cloud9:

Thankyou for your honest birth story, and I hope the memory becomes less traumatic for you over time:hugs:

Goosie

Huge congrats on Daisy's safe arrival! She is lovely :)

Shes beautiful , Sorry your birth was so tramatic but im sure shes worth it

Wow what a labor/delivery! So glad you are both ok now and she is beautiful!!! Congrats!

What an awful time you had there! Quite similar to my birth story,i still find it hard to think about. She's absolutely beautiful! Congratulations and well done you! Glad you're both ok xxxx

Thanks so much everyone :hugs:. I can't look at the photos from the day she was born now, as it breaks my heart to see her beat up little face, but she's totally recovered now and is so, so beautiful and is an absolute dream.

awww poor you that didnt sound like a good experiance at all but your little girl is so beatiful congrats xx

i cant imagine how awful that must of been for you but bet it was worth it all in the end.
i must say that she is absolutely stunning, you must be soo proud of her =)!
hope you heal and forget ur experience soon =) x

aw congrats, she looks so sweet sleeping in the moses basket!

hope writing it out helped, i had a bad experience and im gonna try writing it soon.

well done!

Thanks everyone. Yes writing it out did help. I couldn't bear to think about what had happened and what Daisy had gone through but writing it all out has made me feel better about it. It seems like a few of us who have given birth recently have had a tough time of it :hug:.

i did notice that too, weird that a bunch of us had tough times. I might try writing it soon! x

She is beautiful hun,
Congratulations
P.S. if you have time can you pm me as to wear you bought the pink blanket with the white spots on...its lush
x

Welcome to the world Baby, CONGRATULATIONS! XX

I'm so sorry you had such a traumatic experience :( I had OC too and was induced but mine 'only' took 2 days, but that was bad enough so I can't imagine how u were feeling :(

Congratulations - Daisy is GORGEOUS x x

poor you, as you said this is very simular to my story, i would never be induced again, its way too traumatic, physically and emotionally, so just the one baby for me seeing as there is a big chance i would have to be induced again, unfortunately there are alot of things they dont tell you about it which makes it worse, i wouldnt change the result my boy is gorgeous and i love him to bits.

wow sounds very tramatic, glad she finally made it safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"