Our daughter won't eat

Moley

Reaction score
Our 19 month-old is becoming increasing hard to feed. She's old enough now to feed herself (she doesn't really like being fed any more), and she has just gone four days (and counting) and eaten barely anything. By that I mean just a few mouthfuls of food in total each day - pretty much nothing.

We try to give her plenty of variety, stay relaxed at mealtimes, have her eat with us, not make a drama, all the things that are normally recommended, and nothing works.

When given a meal, she'll either ignore the food, or take one bite, go 'urrgh' and refuse any more. she is currently living on a tiny amount of ham each day, plus a tiny bit of cheese. That's all we can get down her. When she eats, she loves pasta, steak, rice, etc, and when she doesn't, she even refuses 'junk' foods and chocolate.

She's had weeks when she's absolutely eaten like a horse and we think she's over her problems, then she'll go backward again. When she was younger, we often had to read to her or distract her to get her to eat, but now she doesn't want to be fed by us any more, it is no longer an option.

She hasn't put on any weight in two months now, and she's dropping into the lowest 5% on the weight chart, although her height is fine. She seems otherwise OK, she is active and ahead in many other areas.

Our doctor has told us that if she doesn't put on any weight before the New Year, she will be referred for tests. We know she can eat if she wants to and really don't think there is anything physically wrong, it just seems like she simply isn't interested in food 90% of the time!

Has anyone been through anything similar? I've read threads about fussy eating, but no-one has really mentioned it in conjuction with a lack of weight-gain.

It's been pretty hard work this Christmas, my partner is at the end of her tether, and cannot even cope with giving her meals any more as it upsets her so much. It's difficult to remain positive at the moment.

She sounds perfectly normal to me! My little girl is 18 months and goes through stages of not eating. She has put on 2lb in a year. She's fine. I wouldn't worry too much aslong as she's alright in herself, toilet business is normal ect x

Charlotte is the same exact way as y'alls girls. She'll hardly eat a thing, then some days she eats like a horse. She's teeny too and in the last 6 months has only gained 1/2lb. Crazy. Guess we just have some picky girls!

Your doctor needs to refresh his/her memory...This is the age where they become funny about food. They dont grow as fast as well. Some days they eat well and several days can pass with barely anything going over their lips.It feels bad to you as a parent as you want the best for your child but this is a phase all toddlers go through.It will pass.They all lose some weight or dont gain weight at this age. Only a few of them gain weight.It's normal.

My daughter is exactly the same too with food at the moment and she is also 18months old. Just a phase they all go through xxx

yeah zane does this alot, hed rather be running around playing then eat so i just give him babymilk so he still gets some of what he needs.

he wudnt eat anything apart from my chocolate on christmas day, its frustrating but like others have said normal x

Thank you all for the reassurance! I guess it is the weight thing that is the big worry - she's lost a kilo in the last two months and is showing no signs of putting it back on!

She ate a little more today, so fingers crossed she is about to have one of her better phases :)

I think your daughter is totally normal. Toddlers are notoriously picky eaters. The best thing you can do is have lots of healthy food options available to her, and keep an open mind about where/when she eats it. 18 month olds are not good at eating meals, but they like to graze, so if you have a plate with divided sections with chunks of cheese, Cheerios, and other healthy options for her to munch on, that might spur her appetite. I would keep options like this out most of the day for my daughter since she was definitely a grazer.

Not got to that stage but coming for a big family, it seems fairly normal.. i think the biggest thing is not to make an issue of it, which you are doing.. my mum would just leave plates of sandwiches about the house so they could help themselves anytime they got hungry. That worked for us. My niece was always a bad eater and still is but I think her dad turned it into a big issue, tbh.

My little boy is 19 months old and has also just had a few weeks where he seemed off his food and more picky turning away from food all the time, the last 2 days though hes been back to his normal self eating more than ever lol, it could be just a stage xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->