Over-protective pets

NinjaPanda

Reaction score
Anyone notice or have experience with their pets suddenly getting very protective of you? We have 4 animals at home: 2 cats, 2 dogs (a maltipoo and pit/lab/shep mix). Lately, My pitti has been sitting guard by me whenever I am on the computer. He will sit on guard for hours and chases the other animals away whenever they get near me. He hasn't shown aggression towards them but I don't know if there is a chance of it getting worse as I get farther along. I'm only 9 weeks now. Has anyone had experience with this?

I haven't experienced this, but I might consider looking online to find ways to interrupt this behavior.

I'm not saying it will get worse, or translate to resource guarding other people/items, but dealing with that and an infant probably wouldn't be fun.

We're working on improving how we manage our dogs' behavior while I'm pregnant as well. Definitely don't want to worry about counter surfing while dealing with a crying baby!

We also have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Yes lol. My dogs get insanely protective and needy when I'm pregnant. It is worth keeping an eye on/ in check. Reach out to your local vet or shelter, they usually have good info on how to train/retrain dogs during pregnancy and in prep for new baby

Forgive my random thread hopping :flower:

Yes!!! My ancient, slightly senile chihuahua named Belle (who was a rescue and I have had for over ten years! :) ) was basically THE reason I took a pregnancy test in the first place

This will likely sound crazy to anyone who doesn't have pets...but more than a week before my period was due, Belle began 'stalking' me. Out of seemingly nowhere she was acting SO weird....

Previously Belle could have given two sh*ts about where I was in the house - but that day she just started staying at my heels. She would follow me everywhere - if I shut a door to the bathroom she would lay down outside it. When I went to the kitchen to cook she would sit a few feet away and stare intently at me. She began laying on all of my clothes/towels whether dirty or clean. She had never wanted to be in the bed - but suddenly she started crying to get up in our bed at night. God forbid I set my suitcase on the floor while putting clothes away - she nearly rubbed her paws raw from trying to dig a hole into it. :wacko: She would pace around me and make a "barrier" so our other dog couldn't come close and if other dog did, she would snarl and show teeth :headspin: (never more than that - as our other dog swiftly got the hint!)

Sooo....I tested...barely BARELY positive at 8dpo!! Turns out Belle knew something we didn't!

Her new behavior continued through my pregnancy, tapered off a bit towards the middle, then she went absolute batshit crazy again the night before DD was born - even though official due date was two weeks away! Bit my MIL who she usually loves!! :shrug:

Apologies for the long example - but, in short, Your dog sounds totally tuned into you and your body. :) I truly believe animals sense things humans can't even typically find with our five senses..:So be extra patient and kind to your little buddy! REASSURE him, calm him, let him know you're okay with the other animals being around you! Guarantee he will follow your lead!!!

When I was pregnant with my first, one of my cats at the time would sleep on my bump at any given time! Wasn't too fond of my daughter once she came though :haha: - X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"