Over the counter DNA test...

You see I do believe that not all the men raising babies that aren't theirs have been duped by the mums. I think that sometimes they will be as shocked as the dads upon finding out. I know some poeple will say "you must have known" but I think some won't.

I also had another thought..
That this will also have implications for older children, adults and adopted children who have had questions over paternity. For example, I was told my blood group is O neg during a procedure some years back, when I said to my mum "oh yeah, did you know I'm I'm O neg?" she said "You can't be, cos I am pos and so is daddy.. Are you sure?". Alarm bells started ringing in my head as I know that to have my blood type at least one of the parents has to have the same! She brushed it off and said she must have got it wrong about my dad being positive etc.. But it got me thinking, do I actually look like my dad or is it more expressions I pull rather than actual similarities in features..? I decieded I didn't wanna know even if he wasn't because I am so so close to him and it would break both our hearts if he wasn't my dad. I didn't even wanna press my mum further in case she "fessed up". I left it a long while before I asked her again, I said "is there ANY doubt at all because your response over the whole blood type thing baffled me?? I don't mind but would like to know" she assured me that he is 100% my dad and that he MUST be O neg like me. I believed her but wouldn't wanna know my dads blood type just in case! I guess if I didn't LOVE my dad the way I do or get on with him I might seek to find out as I'm sure some will.
Also children who think they might be adopted can now put their parents on the spot a bit and demand a test.. Not sure if this is a good thing really. As someone else said, can of worms spings to mind!

i had a very similar experience! i told my mum i was AB+ and she said "well that's odd, as i'm B and i'm pretty sure your dad is O". my dad is actually A but it was slighty worrying!

my dad just said "who cares? i'm your dad".

i don't like the idea of this at ALL. it makes everyone suspicious.

what kind of a society are we living in where it's becoming the norm to prove the paternity of a father? what happened to trust? does no one have any faith in each other anymore?

i've no problem with DNA tests where they are necessarily, where there is real doubt, but this carries the danger to make it way too commonplace. i'd hate to come on to a pregnancy forum in 10 years time and see a thread saying "so, when are you getting the routine DNA test?"

i wonder what safeguards there are in place to prevent women from using these DNA tests without their partner's consent?

it wouldn't be hard to get the DNA, send it off with a signature and your partner never know. that won't encourage honesty at all.

I don't like the idea of it at all. The more I think about it the more damage I can see it doing. As someone else said, being a dad is more than just biology and some very happy family units are gonna be smashed to pieces because of it. I don't know the details regarding consent but I imagine as xemmax said you could just fake signatures etc.. to get it done behind backs, another aspect I didn't think of.

But you can order them online... what's the difference when it comes to lying/consent?

I think it's a good thing. If my DH asked me if we could do one i wouldn't have a problem. He had to have a DNA test on his son when he was 1 year old because his ex admitted to sleeping with someone else, and the only reason she admitted to it was because she was drunk. DH could have raised a kid for 18 years only to be told he aint yours at the end of it.

There are truely some disgusting women out there who would just keep their mouths shut, so i'm all for the over the counter DNA tests. After all, doubt doesn't come from no where.

this has been available in the USA for years. so i really dont know how well it does as i havent heard much hype about it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->