Over the counter prenatals?

Eren

Reaction score
Yesterday I got a positive HPT! I was so dumbfounded/spaced out for the rest of the day! Today I grabbed two more tests (one being a Clearblue digital) and once again, it was confirmed.

I called my OB and they booked me for April 12th. That will put me around 8 weeks.

However, I really hate to wait that long to take prenatal vitamins. My previous OB would prescribe them to me (and I started them sooner with my son because they got me in sooner).

So, until I have my appointment should I start over the counter prenatals? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Congratulations!!! Yes, you should take a prenatal. I personally like Garden of Life myKind organics prenatal. They’re expensive but are wholefood vitamins. However, any prenatal that contains folate (folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, which is found in food) is great!

At the least you should be taking folic acid. But a good prenatal multivitamin would be best. I don't know if they do it there, but I use Pregnacare liquid (I'm in the UK), liquid is meant to be gentler on you than tablets

Okay, thank you very much!
I hate that I had to switch OBs! Everything feels so different and weird with this one (because I have only had her for a year since we moved)!
I will go buy some today after work!

Maybe preachy sounding advice about folic acid vs folate.

I'm gonna throw in my two cents and say that folic acid isn't important, it's folate you need. As NoGreaterLove said, folic acid is the synthetic form on folate and some people can't absorb it. What makes it even worse, is that it clogs up the folate receptors and can keep you from absorbing the folate you are getting from your diet. I think it's an important distinction.

I also take Garden of Life myKind organics prenatals.

I take NatureMade prenatal. They’re like $12 for roughly a 3 month supply

I'm gonna throw in my two cents and say that folic acid isn't important, it's folate you need. As NoGreaterLove said, folic acid is the synthetic form on folate and some people can't absorb it. What makes it even worse, is that it clogs up the folate receptors and can keep you from absorbing the folate you are getting from your diet. I think it's an important distinction.

Phew, thanks for the reassurance. I was starting to think I came off a bit preachy. I have the mthfr mutation so I’m very aware but never want to sound condescending.

Phew, thanks for the reassurance. I was starting to think I came off a bit preachy. I have the mthfr mutation so I’m very aware but never want to sound condescending.

I prefer folate to folic acid in my vitamins as well.

Most recent pregnancy I took SmartyPants gummy.

I totally get that. My sister has the mthfr mutation and so I act like I do too, just because I've never been tested and want to play it safe. I also fear coming off as preachy or condescending because the written word can be read in so many tones. That is why I spoiled it, just so people knew it could come off that way.

I think it's good information and not preachy, I missed the first reply. Didn't realise it was synthetic! Good to know :)

That was not preachy! Very informative! My previous OB never mentioned anything like this. Unfortunately I saw it late and ran to the store after work (I get 30 minutes before picking my son up from school). I grabbed a prenatal gummy vitamin and when I came home I saw your response! The gunmies have folic acid. So I am going to use them for now, and oder more with the folate instead. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->