Overfeeding?

Gooseybear

Reaction score
Hi all, I EBF LO until he was 3 months old. Unfortunately, he just wasn't thriving and lost some weight :cry:. We made the decision to FF, as his weight went off the chart.
Since being FF, LO has gained and gained! In one month, he has gained 4lbs! Now, don't get me wrong, I am delighted that he is gaining- but I am worried about just how much he is eating!
He is eating 7 x 6oz bottles a day!! He STTN (7pm-5am feeds, then straight back to sleep until 8am). He is eating at around every 2.5 hours.
Also, he will not let me burp him halfway through a feed (he will cry uncontrollably). Lately, after a feed he has whined as I have tried to burp him. I don't think he wants more food, I tried him with 7oz yesterday but he spat some up.
Am I feeding him too much?? He has jumped from off the charts, to above the 9th percentile in a month. I know it sounds stupid, because he is still so little... But 42oz a day seems extreme! I don't think it's a growth spurt because he has eaten this much since starting formula..
Any advice..?:flower:

Abby tends to go through that much and has done since about 3 months. We have the odd day when it's more or less but she has 6x7oz bottles a day now and I reckon it won't be long until they are 8oz bottles :D

Ahh, that's good to hear!! I guess they're just little greedy monkeys!:haha:

That sounds like a good amount to me :) Keep in mind also, if he was loosing weight, his body is probably trying to catch back up, ya know? Kind of like a long growth spurt. My lo is gaining weight much faster than my ds did (she's gaining about 2 lbs. a month) and is slowing climbing up the chart instead of staying the same %. I asked her Dr. and she said that since lo was a preemie, it's her body trying to catch up and her weight gain is perfectly fine. If your lo was eating too much he'd spit up the excess, they self regulate really well :)

My pediatrician advised me that I could NOT overfeed my son. He said he would either refuse to eat when he was full or throw up if he ate more than he could handle.

My son is currently eating EBM with occasional formula feeds and he is eating 7oz 5-6 times a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->