oversupply/fast let down

amethyst77

mummy to an ivf miracle
Reaction score
Hi ladies
I am after a little bit of help.please...
My baby is almost 5 weeks old, and after being told more than once that I would struggle to breastfeed because my boobs are so big, in many ways ny dd and I have taken to it really well. I have a couple of questions/concerns though.

Firstly, I keep being told that bf babies can't over feed, but dd seems to be,as she feeds for ages and then sicks it all back up. It can't be nice for her and I am finding it stressful. This doesn't happen when she is cluster feeding, but when she is at the breast for a long time in one go... I take her off and wind her frequently, sometimes I even try not to keep feeding her, but she shows signs that she still wants more. She did it twice in the night, and I ended up in flood of tears as I am sure I am doing something wrong and causing this. Any advice please??

Secondly, and a bit more trivial, my let down seems very fast. Dd was coughing and splattering quite a lot to begin with, but now seems to have sorted herself out. But, the milk goes everywhere, she and I end up soaked. I have towels covering us, but I am worried about how I will be able to bf in public, I can hardly take a bath towel out with me, can I??
Thanks

Spitting up is normal as their flap that closes the esophagus isn't fully developed at birth. As long as she isn't screaming in pain or projectile spitting up way across the room every feed don't worry about it.

Your supply takes about 12 weeks to regulate. You will get to the point where you will stop leaking as much and you will be able to feed in public. My first 2 months breast feeding were spent with a prefold diaper stuffed in a nursing tank to help stop leaks lol

Anytime your baby shows signs to eat feed her. Try to put the worries out of your head an know you are doing great!
As long as she is getting at least 6 wet diapers a day she is fine and the rest will work itself out.

If you want personalized help contact your local la Leche league and they will help you for free.

You are doing great so far!

Thank you so much.

She only brings up a lot of milk once a day, the rest is just spit up.

Thank you for the la leche reminder too

I always had to tuck a blanket under us - for about 6 mos. AND, I had to wear breastpads for about 6mos as well.
I thought things were going to even out sooner - but they didn't.
I bought reusable breastpads (3pairs) so I wasn't spending a ton of money on the disposable kind... and I always had a pile of receiving blankets on hand.
I also had a fast let down. I would spray LO in the face, etc... My nursing pillow is DISGUSTING!! Hahah
I always said that I could have nursed twins.

It does get better! I never wear breast pads anymore and my breasts are near normal size. I never leak or spray. It did take a while for things to even out, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->