Overweight mamas and weight gain

nordicpixie83

Reaction score
Hey ladies so I'm 5"3 and I usually weigh in at 130lb give or take 5lb, in a UK 10. However due to ill health (fibromyalgia) and a rather nasty riding accident I went upto 159lb in a uk 12/14. The fibromyalgia made it hell to lose but at the beginning of the year , I dropped 7lb . Then it crept back on when I had my chemical. I started this pregnancy at 159lb , due to bleeding and a large SCH I've had to rest the last almost five weeks. Today I braved the scales and I've gained 4 lb :dohh: not what I wanted to see at this stage! My last pregnancy I had gained 3lb at just over 20weeks. I really want to slow the weight gain right down as I'm already overweight and don't want any weight related complications especially as I'm having an elcs. (Third csec). Finally got out for a good walk today for the first time in ages . It cleared my head and I feel a tiny bit better . I've suffered with severe body dysmorphia and food obsession (restricting calories and obsessing over fats,cals, carbs etc) since puberty . I'm absolutely miserable and although i manage to control it most of the time there are days when i thoroughly hate myself . :cry:

Hello Nordic, please try not to look at the scale too much because it will definitely stress you out. I weigh much, much more than you, and I too feel very self conscious. I try and eat as healthy as much as I can, but I think what has helped me the most is drinking water at all times. I've gained 12 lbs so far and I'll be 24 weeks on Sunday. I think I'm doing ok, my last pregnancy I gained so much weight I don't know how I got back to normal. I know I don't have much advice but wanted to share my experience. Feel better!

Im also 5'3" and started my second pregnancy slightly overweight. I have gained 5lbs and my doctor is ok with that. She just wants me to make sure I am eating healthy foods and walking when I can. I try to do a mile or more every other day. Just try to stay as active as you can.

Thanks very much for your replies ladies . It's really tough isn't it ! I am glad that I've managed to walk today (only just 1.5 miles) without more bleeding . Up til now it's just caused more and I've ended up in bed for days again. I'm looking forwards to the school term starting again . The free mornings will make life easier !:thumbup:

I've never been big before but I'm 2st overweight starting this pregnancy (I have arthritis - started around 2 years ago and that has made me pile it on) and I just started doing Slimming world to try and stop this before I found out I was pregnant. I've lost 3.5 lbs in 3 weeks but I'm aiming to maintain the rest of the first tri if possible; I'll likely gain though as I'm just so hungry this week!!

Defo just eat better and walk more and your body will only gain what it needs :)

I totally hear where you are coming fro. nordicpixie83. I also have fibromyalgia and am overweight. It's so easy for people to say exercise to loose weight. I am sure that you would love to just go to the gym and exercise every day to loose weight, but that's not realistic. I take my daughter to the pool on my good days and sometimes just doing that leaves me in pain.

In my last PG I said that I did not want to gain too much because I knew it would be so hard to get rid of. I gained about 22 lbs in my last pregnancy. The baby was 7 lbs so that means that 15 lbs goes to the placenta and all the other jazz. Not too bad. I didn't end up with a single stretch mark. I think thats pretty fair because it was a c section and I have a pretty big scar instead.

Hubby made sure I had healthy smoothies and I ate lots of fruit and vegetables. By the time lo was 2 months I had lost all the weight and then some. Makes me feel good because SIL had a baby 9 months ago. Although she is tiny, she is now saying that she needs to loose the baby weight.

I am hoping I can do the same thing this time.

I totally hear where you are coming fro. nordicpixie83. I also have fibromyalgia and am overweight. It's so easy for people to say exercise to loose weight. I am sure that you would love to just go to the gym and exercise every day to loose weight, but that's not realistic. I take my daughter to the pool on my good days and sometimes just doing that leaves me in pain.

In my last PG I said that I did not want to gain too much because I knew it would be so hard to get rid of. I gained about 22 lbs in my last pregnancy. The baby was 7 lbs so that means that 15 lbs goes to the placenta and all the other jazz. Not too bad. I didn't end up with a single stretch mark. I think thats pretty fair because it was a c section and I have a pretty big scar instead.

Hubby made sure I had healthy smoothies and I ate lots of fruit and vegetables. By the time lo was 2 months I had lost all the weight and then some. Makes me feel good because SIL had a baby 9 months ago. Although she is tiny, she is now saying that she needs to loose the baby weight.

I'm keeping my cals around 1500 a day and that gives me more than enough for a good balanced diet . I was swimming a few times a week, but had a big flare and wasn't feeling too good. Need to start going again .xx

I'm keeping my cals around 1500 a day and that gives me more than enough for a good balanced diet . I was swimming a few times a week, but had a big flare and wasn't feeling too good. Need to start going again .xx

I never focused on calories. I just make sure that I have lots of healthy snacks around. If I was hungry I ate healthy stuff. That's the plan this time too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"