Ovulating super late on a normal 28 day cycle?

AshleyR

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

DH and I are in our third month of active TTC.... 2WW is up on Tuesday and I have a strong feeling that I'm not pregnant again this month.

We've only just gotten serious about TTC in the last few months, and even still, we aren't too "hardcore" about it yet. I haven't been charting or doing anything really - other than keeping track of when my period starts and ends for the past few months, taking prenatals, and taking note of CM.

I have a very "normal" cycle. Been off BC for about 5 years and my periods are very regular (usually 28 days apart every time).

I've been trying to determine when I ovulate so we know when the best time to BD is. I always have very noticeable EWCM on from about CD16-CD18 - so for the past couple of months while we've been TTC we've made sure to do a LOT of BD'ing right around that time as I've heard that's a pretty clear sign that you're ovulating (been doing it every second day from about CD12-CD 15 and every day from CD15-CD20 or so). We've been STOPPING completely after about CD20 until AF arrives on CD28 - just in case I'm pregnant - I worry about "jumbling things up in there".... (not sure if that's something I should be worried about or not.... which brings me to why I'm posting this...)

Is it possible that I may actually ovulate even later than I think I am? I've been assuming I'm ovulating around CD17 because of the EWCM, but since we've been stopping BD'ing a few days after and I'm not pregnant yet - I wonder if we should be doing it a little longer..... but is it even possible to ovulate LATER than CD20 on a 28 day cycle?

I also noticed this month that I had some period like cramping on my left side only from about CD17-CD22 or so. I've had this same cramping in the past and my doctor told me it could be a sign of ovulation.

Could I really be ovulating that late with a normal cycle?

I know most of you are probably thinking "it's only been 3 months, relax!" but I have this real fear of having trouble getting pregnant. DH and I have been together 10 years, and to be honest, we had a few "slip ups" in the past 5 years and were both kind of shocked that we never got pregnant "by accident". We thought with me being off BC for so long that it would happen pretty quick and so far it's not.

I ordered some OPK's that I'm going to try this coming month if it turns out I'm not pregnant on Tuesday. Hopefully they'll help me determine exactly when I'm ovulating - just thought I'd share my story and see what you all think first...

Thanks a bunch!

On a 28-day cycle ov on CD20 is possible but it would mean you have a luteal phase defect since luteal phase really needs to be at least 10 days. It's pretty unlikely you're ovulating later than CD 17 or 18

I'd like to join your thread, looking for advise also.
We've been casually, and increasingly more formally, TTC since June.
I have a 26-28 day cycle, and have just assumed I ovulate around day 13-16. This month is our first month using OPK's and as of day 15 I haven't O'd yet... We'll see what the next few days brings... And I know a few days in the long run in nothing, but it's driving me nuts already!!!
Ladies, any advise for us? Potentially ovulating so late in a cycle normal?
Thanks!

Using OPK's is probably the best thing to do in order to put yourself at an ease of mind. -- Make sure you do them around the same time each day and preferablly late afternoon (not first thing in the morning).

But with that said, i would like to add that you can get ovulation cramping before, during, or after ovulation.. so that isn't the best indicator that you are ovulating and i wouldn't worry about feeling the cramps. Plus after ovulation a cyst usually forms over the ovary, that can cause some discomfort and that might be what you are feeling as well (perfectly normal for the cyst to form).

As far as EWCM, that is a really good indication of ovulation, but even that can be off a day or two... or what you "consider" ewcm might not be what your body considers it to be more exact.

Mia is correct when she says that any LP (from the time of ovulation till the time AF shows) less than 10 days is a luteral phase defect. If you find yourself ovulating to the point of having a LP less than 10 days, you should see your doctor. Hormone shots can easily fix that problem.

My LP is usually 12-13 days long... and typically for women in general its 14 days. I normally ovulate CD 14 or 15 but this month i ovulated CD 19.. so im expecting my LP to be the same 12-13 days long and thus having an extra 5 days to my cycle this month.

I have the same problem as you. I have a normal shortish cycle of 26-29 days and I ovulate anywhere from CD16-19. I'm going for testing this week. I was on birth control too, and I think it's what's causing the problem.

It's called a luteal phase defect and can be caused by a hormonal imbalance usually.

I'd say before being scared of a luteal phase defect - get OPK and try to figure out when you actually O. If you notice O cramps around CD 17-22 then it's possible that you O around that time. Sometimes you get cramps before, sometimes during, and sometimes after O because it could either be pain from follicle maturing, pain from follicle being ruptured, or pain from fluid irritating the spot after egg being released.

With OPK you get positive (line has to be as dark as control) and then you will O 24-48 hours later.

A third reason could be that if you are feeling stressed for whatever reason, your O date can be delayed and it may actually lengthen your cycle.

As for EWCM - you don't always get it when you O - sometimes you'll get something that looks like EWCM before or even after. For me, the best indicator was O pains.

Either way, I'm no expert but this is what I learned over the past year that I've been TTC - I hope you will find some answers soon hun, and if all else fails get tested at Dr - they will be able to see if everything is going the right way

Good luck! :dust:

I have a cycle of 26 days long and ovulate day 16/17 - no problems conceiving with a 9/10 day luteal phase - think it is only if its under 9 days then it may be cause for concern.

I definitely recommend opks, and temping too!:flower:

I have a cycle of 26 days long and ovulate day 16/17 - no problems conceiving with a 9/10 day luteal phase - think it is only if its under 9 days then it may be cause for concern.

I definitely recommend opks, and temping too!:flower:

I don't understand why it took so quickly for you to do it when it's taking me forever. I wonder if the late ovulation and short cycles aren't my problem.

I have a 26-28 day cycle and I ov around CD 11-13, but I get a second patch of EWCM around CD 17-21 and sometimes it's even CD 22-24. Before I started temping, I thought I was ov-ing around CD17-19 because of what I thought were ov-pains and the EWCM. And because AF arrived so soon afterward, I was afraid that I had an LP defect. This month, using my BBT, I realized that I ov much earlier than I thought I did and the second patch of EWCM is just my body's way of messing with my mind.

I might start earlier with the BDing and then continue for a couple of days past CD20, just make sure you cover all your bases. BDing after ov isn't usually a problem and I've heard some women end up missing the egg just because they stop BDing too early. Starting OPKs or taking your temps with a BBT thermometer is a good way to figure out exactly when you ovulate and increase your chances at a BFP. Good luck!

^^^ What she said. Keep the love going steadily and that should do the trick! :haha:

I'm in a similar boat. I have a 29 day cycle and we would bd around mid cycle bc that's when I had EWCM. I started temping and found out I actually ovulate around cd 8-9. OPK is also a good idea. Keep in mind you can see fertile CM throughout your cycle, even after you ovulate. When I went to the dr a few months ago he told me to bd every other to every 2 days from the time AF is gone until about the time AF is due again.

Hi so I have a very regular 28 day cycle up until today. Last month af showed on 13th Apr and I have been using charts so I know I am supposed to ovulate on cd 14 which was on the 26th of Apr (my ovulation has been very regular and cause I get cramps on the day I ovulate which has always been exactly on cd14) so we had BD'd on both 25th and 26th Apr and did not think about it after.
To my surprise on 1st May cd 19 I experienced that same old cramp I usually have on ovulation day and 3 days after i noticed a little blood when I wiped after a bathroom visit after dh and I had some light fun(no penetration). Again I didn't think too much about it until two days ago when I started feeling sudden dizziness I checked my chart and I realized my AF was due on that day which was cd28. It then hit me, that my pms symptoms didn't show up! I didn't have all the usual signs I'd normally have that starts 1&1/2 weeks before AF but I remembered the cramp I had on cd 19 which could have been implantation or late ovulation. I am now cd 30 and still no AF but I started eating a lot, feeling hungry and sleepy all the time and boobs turned sore with dark brown(near black) nips.

Should I wait to see if AF shows up this friday which would be 14days after the possible 1st May ovulation. OR I could just test it now! :wacko:

Would appreciate any answers. I am SOooo lost......:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->