Own brand goods

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by xxembobxx, Jun 1, 2011.

1. xxembobxx

xxembobxx Well-Known Member

Just seen on another post that to save money somebody uses shops own brand goods rather than name brands.
    Morrisons cranberry juice is better than Ocean Spray according to my kids and their value rice pudding is as good as Ambrosia (and only 17p!)
    I spend far too much on shopping and do tend to stick to well-known brands so wondered what brands people have found to be as good as these more expensive ones?

2. truly_blessed

truly_blessed Loving being a new mummy

Sainsburys cereals are just as good as kellogs and currently trying Asda biscuits which seem good so far.

3. bump_wanted

bump_wanted Ollie's Mummy & Just Preg

Well i use smart price toilet roll and smart price canned tomatos...they work just fine. Also smart price diluting juice. Asda own for like natural yogurt and tomato puree, my shop is just a mix of all level brands really i buy named stuff too xx

4. Kimboowee

Kimboowee Complete

We buy basic range canned tomatoes like above - no diff to me! Same with kidney beans & biscuits. I buy shop brand beans and spaghetti though rather than the basic one, not the same as heinz but I havent got the money for those!
    The only thing we really buy branded is toilet paper and some cleaning products

5. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

i buy morrisons hairspray n wilkos loo roll x

6. moondrops

moondrops Call me Sally!

Tesco tomato ketchup and tesco baked beans are, imo, way better than heinz!

7. lynne192

lynne192 mum 2 James & Libby

try hotukdeals.com sometimes shop brand isn't as cheap as other things i use this site to check whats on offer and where and buy it that way lol

8. xolily

xolily Well-Known Member

O.T but i bought a big bottle of Ribena the other day cos OH likes it and it was on offer, £2. i looked what price it is normally.. £4.82! who'd pay £4.82 for a bottle of cordial!? madness :|

9. leoniebabey

leoniebabey mam of 2 boys

smartprice trifle just blows any other trifle away !
    i use smartprice tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, crumpets, smartprice wipes, smartprice tissues, biscuits, pasta.
    Most other things i buy are asda brand but not the cheapest version and then i get the odd branded things

10. emsiee

emsiee Mum of 2

I get Aldi`s own tinned tomatoes, beans, frozen veg, frozen chips, (these are much better than McCains) loo roll, bread, and biscuits and chocolate (the chocolate is way nicer!) and when they have offers on the fresh fruit and veg, it works out a lot cheaper....we tend to go for the more expensive brands at Tesco with everything else though :flower:

11. Cherrybinky

Cherrybinky Guest

Im a brand snob with certain things like wash powder and washing up liquid Im afraid but I also buy lots and lots of Asda own brand things and theyre very good. I lost my job 2 weeks back and having the own brand goods there has been a god send to save money especially having 2 step children to feed. They love Asda own fromage frais and the cheap crisps :)
    X

12. xxembobxx

xxembobxx Well-Known Member

seems like Asda own brand gets the thumbs up.

Thank you all for your views - hopefully I can reduce the cost of my shopping now!

13. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

I buy some stuff own brand, Pasta, Kidney Beans, Yoghurts, juices

14. oliviarose

oliviarose Well-Known Member

Morrisons cereal, cheapest toms, beans, aldi fruit and veg and milk, shop brand crisps, sweets.

15. Twinkl3

Twinkl3 DD - 2014 ♡ DS - 2018

We buy most of our shopping from Aldi and go to Asda for a few bits and pieces.

Fruit and veg at aldi are cheap and good, we also buy Aldi's own "Harvest Morn" cereals which I personally think they are just as good as other brands, and like queenemsie there chips are great also.

16. kayleigh&bump

kayleigh&bump Mum to Finnley & TTC #2

Most of our cupboard stuff we buy smart price! Pasta is pasta to me lol, I'd never pay a pound a bag for it when you can get it for 19p! Most of the other things in our shopping are own brand such as cereals, cheese, eggs, crisps, fruit etc

17. MrsPoodle

MrsPoodle Mummy of a Princess

I use own brand tinned tomatoes, tinned fruit, biscuits, squash, crackers, pasta, bbq sauce, cuppa soups etc... there really isn't any difference.

18. leoniebabey

leoniebabey mam of 2 boys

smartprice washing up liquid is the only one that doesnt make my dermititis flare up! plus it's alot cheaper!

19. babydevil1989

babydevil1989 Well-Known Member

Most of my shopping is value stuff lol!
    spaghetti, beans sweetcorn stewing steak potatoes carrots toilet roll crumpets shower gel ravioli mestballs instant noodles (used with a chicken stock cube instead of the seasoning and it tastes like chicken supernoodles!!) thats all i can think of at the moment x

pasta crisps tinned tomatos cereals baby wipes biscuits yoghurts

20. babyerin

babyerin mama to one and pg

My basic ingredients, tinned toms, kidney beans, pasta etc are smartprice, I like icelands sausages £2 for a decent sized bag, the only thing the OH insists being branded is custard (ambrosia) and his brown sauce (hp).

I, on the other hand, would struggle to tell the diff on most things! My chilli made from smartprice ingredients and aldi mnce (fab!!) Is amazing if I say so myself!