Pageants...what's your thought?

ssuchianlo

Reaction score
I know this is big in the United States....is it in other countires? But the big question is...what is your opinion on them? I've been watching Toddlers & Tiaras on TLC and sometimes I think "aww..so cute, looks fun" and other times..."what are you thinking you crazy mean mama!?"

So I have mixed feelings about it.

Not for me even if I were having a girl. There's other ways to build confidence that dint require being judged on outward beauty, fake tanning, fake teeth, fake hair and pounds of makeup. My daughter (if I had one) can play dress up including makeup at times, but I wouldn't want her looking like a mini 20 yr old.

If you were into pageants, maybe the "natural" pageants where no make up or fake anything is allowed would be ok with me. I honestly find the attitude of most pageant moms and participants to be completely disgusting and the kids spoiled and the moms overbearing and living their dreams vicariously through their kids. Just my take. Not saying every one in pageant land is like that though.

I think it could be fun, but some of them go way over the top. Kids shouldn't need tans, fake eyelashes, tons of makeup, revealing clothes, etc. I think it would be way too expensive also. I read an article the other day that said entry fees were in the hundreds for one pageant. Then you would have to travel and stay there, buy the clothes, and probably hire some kind of coach. I think we'll have to pass.

I am not a pageant mom, and I will not enter my kids in pageants. While sick, I watched "Toddlers & Tiaras" and thought "oh definitely NOT for me". :nope:

I think those mothers on that show are absolutely bat sh*t crazy.
& I feel so sad for those little girls loosing their childhoods.

I think that if my 5 year old child needs a tan, fake teeth, fake eyelashes, hair extensions, more make up that you would wear in a lifetime, a push up bra and a $1500 dollars dress while parading around for men and women to score her so she can win a cheap crown so she can feel beautiful then I have failed as a mother.

Exactly lucky break!!! After seeing some of the homes on the show, I think the money that goes towards a $1500 dress should go towards a better house or at least better priorities!

Those shows creep me out and I always feel sorry for the little girls.

It is scary this children wear more make up that I will ever do and then they smile and look more freaky than anything else..I saw one show because I was stuck at somebody's house and the judging panel had like 2 men in there just looking at the little girls and smiling..freaked the heck out of me!

I agree with all of you actually. I especially hate the swinsuit portion, and how the girls go on stage and shake their butt. The "glitz" pageants are the ones where they go really overboard.

But there is the occasional mom and daughter that seem to be just having a lot of fun....and that's when I think it'd be fun...and the princess dresses.

Although I think that is rare. Some of the things these moms say to their little girls is awful. One never once told her little girl she did good and she was proud of her...all she did was criticize...and the dad too.

I think it would be ok if it was about the kids and them having fun and doing it because they want to, but 98% of the time its not, its about the mothers and winning :(

From what I have seen on those TV shows I think they are absolutely disgusting. What does it teach little girls? All that matters is how pretty you look? Who parades around their three year old girl in fake tan and make up?? These kids should be having fun playing in the garden or something, not taking part in these hideous competitions.

I think the tv shows probably hype it up, i cant imagine its all that bad, they target the crazy moms for their ratings.
that said- I absolutely would not enter my child in one of these things, even if they enjoyed it, make up and heels and all the other stuff is not for a small girl, even if she likes it.
there is even something creepy about it that it crosses a line of morality in my book

I hate them.

I hate how it makes being ultra fake beautiful. I hate that parents on these shows dress their toddlers in a sexy getup. I dont think it inspires confidence in little girls, because only a few girls win, and very few of them go on stage looking like themselves.

I think its disgusting, it teaches children to value them selves on their looks, fake tan, padded bras, heavy make up, fake teeth, ..... If i had a 16 year old that did all this to ensure she had self worth I would have failed her. Yet alone a toddler, It is over sexualising children and in my opinion is taking away their innocence.

Children love to play dress up, but this is taking things too seriously and too far! I often think that the families that take part are imparting their own issues in a transition these onto children - why would it be so important for your child to appear outwardly perfect? Why does the beauty play such a big part? we already live in a society that drums into people that unless they conform or have the right material possessions and look a certain way they are less valued, what happened to teaching children that its not what you have or how you look but who you are that counts?

When I hear the word 'pageant' I think of the film 'Little Miss Sunshine', and it makes me both cringe and laugh (laugh because the film is awesome!)
Personally I disagree with the ones that are like they are in that film - it's dressing kids up like mini adults, and I just find this creepy. I'd rather my little girl was running around in dungarees digging up spiders in the garden than standing on stage in a swimsuit to be judged. I'm not aware of what other pageants are like so I can't comment on them, but this type - a big no, no from me.

I think even the concept is disturbing. I will be helping to grow Poppy's confidence through encouragement, love and support in every aspect of her life... but I will not teach her that it's ok to judge people on how they look, be it gorgeous or fugly.

i think it would be ok if it was a private thing like women only, dont think id fancy men staring at and judging any daughter i'd have :S defo dont agree with it being on tv were any old perv can be havin a right old time watchin lil girls parade around in swimsuits and revealing outfits, but yh if it was private it COULD be fun, although prob wodnt be lol x

not for me or my children, theres so much more to life than 'beauty' from make up and outfits.

God no. :sick: What is the good they learn from being judge on their looks from such a young age?? The whole thing just creeps me out, grown men and women judging little girls on how they look and walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->