• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Pain relief? Epidural - to be or not to be??

kaykay

Reaction score
I have got my Midwife Appt on Wednesday and she says she wants my birth plan written up including all pain relief decisions. She told me that if I dont put down that I would like an epidural I will not be able to get one during labour under any circumstances???:hissy:

Unbelievable! TBH I would rather have a natural birth, well when I say natural just the old Gas And Air lol.. But a few friends have said that they would not go without an epidural again.

I have been looking at the Pros and Cons and Obviously a major Pro is not being able to feel the pain..But you are more likely to tear and Apperently you cant feel the contractions! So I dont know! With this being my 1st Im all confussled!!

M/W didnt really go through any info with me just told me too look up on internet! typical!

Just wondered wat you girls thought of the epidural?? and wat pain relief would you reccommend/ Not reccomend??

Thanks ladies! x

Omg that is out of order. You should be able to say you want to decide when the time comes what pain relief you have depending on how well you cope, that's what ive said and the midwife has said thats the best way to be.

Im going in with an open mind but will be all for an epi if the pain is that bad x

Ive had two with my daughter is failed and just made me dizzy and sick ....With Ethan i had stated no way did i want one but his heart rate wasnt good so i demanded one and the relief was emence ....I am not writing a birth plan this time as it never goes to plan and i get upset so i figuire i will just go with the flow this time xxxx

Ooooo i really hope this isnt the case as i really want to go with the flow and not make any concrete decisions...

I find it very hard to believe that you have to state you want an epidural else you cant have one, most women surely would wait and see if they needed it first? I personally have given birth twice on gas and air and that was enough for me but i have a very high pain thresh hold, I can see why some women, specially during a very long labour would opt to have one, from my experience also they never look at your birth plan, i havent even bothered to do one this time and my mw has never mentioned it! good luck with whatever you decide xxx

Yer thats exactly what I was thinking! How am I supposed to know how much pain I can take and how painful it is actually going to be. I might just put that I want one and then decide on the day.. unless I misheard her which I dont think I did! Ill discuss oN wedneday me thinks!x

Can't you just write on your birth plan you want the option of having an epidural? Even if you say you want one I'm sure you can always refuse it, getting it takes a lot of cooperation on your part, they can't very well jab you with it against your will :) You need to help guide the doctor, sit still, etc.

I loved my epidural. It does numb you well enough that you can't feel all of your contractions.. they turn it down when it's getting near time to push so that you can feel them and push with them though and eventually I found I could feel my contractions even with the epidural before they turned it down (close to time to push).

I can't believe that you can't have one if you don't put it in the BP...wow! I didn't want one, but ended up getting two. The first turned into a spinal block cause the doc was so tired he didn't end up placing it right...and it only worked for an hour. The second was an actual Epi, but it only worked for an hour as well. They gave me stadol (I love that drug!), but it only worked for about an hour too. So...would I have another one? Yes, cause if I hadn't had those two hours of rest I never would've gotten Charlotte out of me!

That sucks, I can't believe you have to make that choice right now, you should have the option. As for me, I am 100% getting an epidural again : )

I had 2 that failed.. with gas and air, if i had the choice, i don't think i'd have one again as it gave me the shakes, made me feel dizzy etc.

thats bull if u want one u will get one. no on really pays much attention to ur birth plan anyway. i didnt feel like i needed a epi as i could handle the pain.

Could you perhaps write that you are going to go with an open mind as to what pain relief you want, but will have an epidural if necessary? That way its included in your birth plan but worded so that it doesnt mean your deffo going to have one?

gas and air all the way

my epidural didn't work
and i ended up tearing
and feeling all my contractions!
wouldn't recomend it tbh!

tell them you dont want
to make a decision right now
birth plans never go to plan
anyways!!

xx​

I want to try not having anything but if I thought that meant I couldnt have anything come the time I would put down I want the lot!

I dont think we can say beforehand what we'll need coem the time.

i went in dead against having an epi but it was recommended by my consultant that i have it in the end.... and my only regret is not having it sooner! :rofl:

so, my advice is keep an open mind. if it needs to go in the birthplan write something like you would prefer to ty and proceed with just gas and air, but would like the option of an epi to be available should you feel it necessary at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"