Pain relief - what and why?

emme

Saffy's Mummy <3
Reaction score
hi ladies, i've just moved over to 3rd tri, so hello all :flower:

just wondered what pain relief if any you are opting for, and what is your reasoning for having that pain relief?

i'm really unsure still!

xx

im having gas and air and pethadine or whatever its called. If i can just have gas and air then that'll be good, although ive never been "drunk" before, and people say it makes you feel like that so i dont know if i'd like it lol

I refuse point blank to have an epidural. Ive just got visions of it going wrong, so would rather not go down that route. However if it came accross that i needed a c section, im not sure what i would do, as having a GA would be unfair on mick, as ive heard that no one else is allowed in with you

I'm planning a home birth so I've got some heat pads for period pain, migraine strips for if I get hot, warm bath and paracetamol /cocodamol all for early stages.
Tens machine and birth pool for later, and when the midwife turns up she'll bring gas and air. Hopefully all these things will not slow my labour but will help keep the pain manageable if the labor progresses normally.
I'm hoping that will get me through, but if not I'll just say the word and we'll be off to the hospital where I'll not hesitate to opt for an epidural if we start getting any complications.

I am on baby number 4 and i always go to hospital with the same idea open minded as to what i will have xx

I'm going in open minded as I've no idea what to expect. Several people have warned me off pethidine though so would like to avoid that if possible xx

:hi: hello, welcome across hun :flower:

I am definately going in with an open mind because as with a lot of the ladies on here, I have no clue what to expect :wacko:

I want to try with just gas and air as im having a waterbirth.. But things could always change so im keeping a open mind aswell :) xx

I am hoping to use our local birthing unit which means no epidural. But I am hoping to use as little as possible.

This is my first so I have nothing to compare it to so going with an open mind. If I'm going through it all and it all gets completely unbearble and the gas and air and pethadine haven't done anything then I will probably ask to go round to the labour ward for the hard drugs. Afterall you don't win any medals for being a martyr lol!My

My philosophy is that I have some general ideas about what I would like but no set plan as I have no idea how it's going to go so will have an open mind

Welcome by the way :)

xx

I am a real wimp and like the thought that there is an epidural if i need one. I will get as far as i can with gas and air but really want to make the whole experience as pain free as i can.

I'm having a home-birth and hoping to do it drug-free again. I would imagine the midwife will have gas and air should I need it but other than that, nothing.

Im going to have an Epidual or nothing. This is my second child and I had an epidual with my first and would have another if I needed it.

I don't want gas and air or pethadine as I really do not want to be feeling drunk/sick/on another planet as that would make me feel like I was not in control of what was going on and probably make me scared.

I'm probably going to have what I had last time which was pethidine and gas and air. I quite like the feeling of being a bit pissed, I don't enjoy being in pain so anything to take the edge off is great. I'm afraid I don't get why some women choose to refuse pain relief, I think it's a bit nuts, but hey each to their own.

Epidural, all the way. Why? because it is awesome. :haha:
(Had a very positive experience with my first delivery)

I'm having a spinal block since I'm having a c-section....this Friday!!! OMG :shock: Just hit me....:rofl:

Go in with an open mind. You just cannot plan before how birth is going to go. I wanted a water birth but ended up being induced due to pre eclampsia. They wanted to give me an epidural, but I drank RLT so within half an hour I went from 2-8cm's so it was too late. But, I LOVE gas and air! :thumbup: It is amazing stuff and made me high as a kite! I kept falling asleep, dreamt that hubby was watching football, woke up when I had a contraction and asked him ehat the Aston Villa score was! Much to the amusement of him and the midwife. Then I realised I was giving birth, so I continued pushing hahaha :blush: next time a bottle of gas and air for me please!
X

I'm hoping to manage on gas and air but keeping open minded. Would prefer not to have an epidural though cos I've had a spinal block before and hated the feeling plus I don't want a catheter put in, I hate those things! But still, if I can't handle the pain then I'll get an epidural because I don't want to be too exhausted by pain by the time it gets to pushing.

I've hired a TENS machine and hoping to get by with just that and gas & air. I've been told by my consultant to avoid pethadine because of my medical history. As for an epidural, the thought of it scares me more than labour... I hate needles, I don't want a catherer and I really want to keep mobile for as long as possible. I'm hoping to give birth kneeling as well, which would be impossible with an epidural.

I am trying to stay open-minded though - if I have a particularly long or painful labour, or if I need to be induced, then an epidural may be the best idea. It will just depend on the circumstances.

I want to try to give birth for as long as I can without pain relief medication.
My plan is to have a bath in the early stages.
If I'm allowed it a hot water bottle. I am going to bring some lavender bags I've made to breath with..lavender is one of those really calming scents for me. I will also bring in a toilet roll, to breathe into as weird as that sounds, it's always helped me deal with pain.
I've got my OH and he's great for taking my mind off of things, we like to try to laugh when things are hard so I got a few joke books for him to read to me when I'm having painful contractions.
If I'm really really in pain I'll try gas and air, and if that is hopeless pethadine. NO way am I having an Epidural. I refuse point blank!

I'm having everything lol. Not pethadine though as it knocked me out and made me violently sick with DS. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->