Pain relief - what and why?

I am on baby number 4 and i always go to hospital with the same idea open minded as to what i will have xx

This is what I'm doing, it's my 3rd baby and I had gas and air with both, but would always keep my options open...every birth is different :)

I'm going to go with an open mind............but in this order hopefully:

Tens machine at home
Gas and air - even if I am sick I will carry on
Pethadine
Epidural - but not to totally wipe out the pain because I still want to feel something. x

I'm trying to go all natural , with only paracetamol and gas & air... I have rubbish reactions to drugs so I'd really rather not put anything in to my body and add bad side effects to the mix :) xx

I’m planning on going drug free this time like I did with my son. I’m hesitant to try the epidural due to the possibility of a spinal headache, as I already get migraines, so I really don’t want to try something that increases the risk for that kind of pain. I’m open to other forms of pain control if needed, and would still consider an epidural as a last resort. I was induced (due to preeclampsia) with my son and that is “suppose” to give more painful of contractions than going natural, so I’m hoping as I didn’t need pain relief for that I should be able to handle a regular labor if I get the opportunity this time. I did breathing and focusing routines to get through the contractions last time with the help of my hubby and my IPod with my 275 favorite songs playing in the background. Hopefully that works again this time. ;)

I had epidurals with DS 1 & DS 2, it was great, because I wasn't in any pain, and I wasn't out of my mind or out of control of my thoughts or actions. And both babies were alert and able to latch on to feed right after they were born. I would love to have a homebirth, if I could get the epidural to come to me. However, this is my 3rd baby, last DS was born 7 years ago, so I'm not sure if I will have this baby fast or slow...so I might not have time for an epidural. If that's the case, I'll want to use the pool/warm water for pain.

I'd like to try without anything and just use the Lamaze breathing techniques. I would have gone for gas and air but they don't have that over here.

I'm not going to be a martyr though, if I'm finding it really bad, will take the epidural.

Hopefully just gas and air, maybe a few paracetamol.
I am going to try self hypnosis and aromatherapy (my auntie is qualified in both) as well :) Trying to have the most natural birth as possible as i want to go home as soon as tbh, but i know that it might not go to plan xx

Hopefully just gas and air, maybe a few paracetamol.
I am going to try self hypnosis and aromatherapy (my auntie is qualified in both) as well :) Trying to have the most natural birth as possible as i want to go home as soon as tbh, but i know that it might not go to plan xx

i would like to do it on gas and air and probably pethadine dont want a epidural but if pain gets to the point where i feel like im losing control the options there

I am on baby number 4 and i always go to hospital with the same idea open minded as to what i will have xx

^ This is SO important :thumbup:

When i see first time mums who have no idea what's about to happen refusing this that and the other it makes me remember how naive i was :lol:

Everyone needs to remember the it probably won't go your way so it's best to keep an open mind .. you get no medals for giving birth :)

Ideally I would like to have a waterbirth with no more than gas and air but although I have an ideal I want to keep an open mind
I haven't been through labour before and have no idea how I'll cope with the pain or indeed what might crop up that changes my plan.
In short my birth plan is as little in the way of pain relief or interventions as possible but at the other end of the scale whatever pain relief or interventions become necessary to get my LO out here safely x

I was ADAMENT that I wanted every pain relief I could get my mitts on....100% sure I wanted the epidural. What did I end up with? TENS machine 'till 8cm when I got the G&A! I was still begging for my precious epi but it was too late. But I guess in the end I'm pleased. Because when it comes to the pushing bit the pain of the contractions kinda lessen? Which is weird but your body is just pushing. And I was pushing for aaaages cos she was sunny side up!

this is my 3rd and im so going for the epidural, i have had it with my last 2, and really not good with pain i get lie that one on one born every minuet, not as bad as that but very close lol, so i think its kinder for me and for the genral public if i have it lol

^ This is SO important :thumbup:

When i see first time mums who have no idea what's about to happen refusing this that and the other it makes me remember how naive i was :lol:

Everyone needs to remember the it probably won't go your way so it's best to keep an open mind .. you get no medals for giving birth :)

To be fair, most of the posters on this thread have used the words 'I would like' and 'hopefully'.

I don't like anybody implying (or out and out saying) that I am naive because I don't want an epidural. I know complications can occur, or that labour might be a total shock to my system, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with hoping for the best, while being aware that the worst could happen.

It's a shame that your own birth didn't go to plan, but laughing at other mothers for being 'naive' is just plain rude.

She said she was naive, I really don't think she meant it the way you took it :hugs:

She said she was naive, I really don't think she meant it the way you took it :hugs:

Maybe, and apologies if I went OTT in response.

It's just that particular attitude is a pet hate of mine, and it's not the first time I've encountered it on here or in RL.

I think most of us first-time mothers are nervous enough about giving birth, and while there's nothing wrong with saying to keep an open mind, telling us that our births 'probably' won't go to plan isn't exactly helpful either.

But... I'm dragging this off topic.

:flower:

I've decided to myself I don't want an epidural. I just don't like the idea of it, I hate not being in control of my own body and birth is something I want to be fully aware of feeling wise. It's my first but doesn't make me naive to not want something.

Im really not too sure to be honest about what sort I want as I have no idea what sort of pain to expect or how I'll react to it.

My main plan is to cope as long as possible with gas and air and if I really can't stick it I plan on getting an epidural (though im having second thoughts on that). I think im just going to go with the flow lol. :)

This is baby number 5 for me. I've had 2 births with an epidural and 2 with gas and air.

I'm going to have gas and air with this LO, yes, it's more painful without an epidural, but for me soooo much easier. Saying that my last 2 births weren't too long, last one only 2 hours. If this birth was to go on for hours and hours I'm sure I'll be begging for an epi! lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->