Pain relief - what and why?

^ This is SO important :thumbup:

When i see first time mums who have no idea what's about to happen refusing this that and the other it makes me remember how naive i was :lol:

Everyone needs to remember the it probably won't go your way so it's best to keep an open mind .. you get no medals for giving birth :)

To be fair, most of the posters on this thread have used the words 'I would like' and 'hopefully'.

I don't like anybody implying (or out and out saying) that I am naive because I don't want an epidural. I know complications can occur, or that labour might be a total shock to my system, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with hoping for the best, while being aware that the worst could happen.

It's a shame that your own birth didn't go to plan, but laughing at other mothers for being 'naive' is just plain rude.

You have taken that completely the wrong way.

I didn't say my birth didn't go to plan, where did i say that!? .. i'm saying it's best to keep an open mind, because babies have a mind of their own :thumbup:

It's great to have a plan in mind, however, it's also best to keep an open mind as must as possible. Every other Mum WILL tell you the same.

I didn't say YOU were naive, i said I was naive.

With my first I had an epidural, which was fantasic, so I have no problem getting one again IF NEEDED. I was even able to walk around right after birth, no problems at all. I just felt pressure, not pain.

Hi girls :flower:

I would definately say to keep an open mind about pain relief, you never know how well or badly you'll handle the pain. What I will say is make sure you write everything in your birth plan that you take to the hospital so that the midwives have an idea what you are looking for even if you are too overwhelmed to tell them.

Hope all of your births go well. :hugs:

When i see first time mums who have no idea what's about to happen refusing this that and the other it makes me remember how naive i was :lol:

Everyone needs to remember the it probably won't go your way so it's best to keep an open mind .. you get no medals for giving birth :)

To be fair, most of the posters on this thread have used the words 'I would like' and 'hopefully'.

I don't like anybody implying (or out and out saying) that I am naive because I don't want an epidural. I know complications can occur, or that labour might be a total shock to my system, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with hoping for the best, while being aware that the worst could happen.

It's a shame that your own birth didn't go to plan, but laughing at other mothers for being 'naive' is just plain rude.

Sorry but I have to agree with this, knowing your own mind isn't naive. Many women have said they refuse to have a certain painkiller, and stick by it because of their beliefs. It would be naive to say that their birth will or will not go a certain way maybe, but not about pain relief. Many woman refuse pain relief as they don't want their baby to be affected by it, and even if they are in pain and things go unexpected they still stick to this because no matter how much pain they are in their beliefs are so strong that they don't want their baby to suffer the effects of drugs in labour.

Personally I will not be having pethidine, and my midwives know this and will not be offering it to me at my request. It is not naive of me to say this, there are enough different options theses says and I don't care about other pain relief options - I will have them if I need them, and if I don't then that's great

Sorry but I have to agree with this, knowing your own mind isn't naive. Many women have said they refuse to have a certain painkiller, and stick by it because of their beliefs. It would be naive to say that their birth will or will not go a certain way maybe, but not about pain relief. Many woman refuse pain relief as they don't want their baby to be affected by it, and even if they are in pain and things go unexpected they still stick to this because no matter how much pain they are in their beliefs are so strong that they don't want their baby to suffer the effects of drugs in labour.

Personally I will not be having pethidine, and my midwives know this and will not be offering it to me at my request. It is not naive of me to say this, there are enough different options theses says and I don't care about other pain relief options - I will have them if I need them, and if I don't then that's great

And some women refuse and DO end up having some form of different plan than they wanted .. hence why it's best to keep an open mind :)

Im opting for no pain relief. First of all, we dont get G&A in America, which sucks, but Im not going to take any narcotics because they pass to the baby. And Im not getting an epidural for personal reasons. My friend's cousin has scar tissue growing on her spinal column from her epidural. Sure those chances are rare, but Id rather go through a possible 30 hours of pain than a lifetime of chronic pain.

You have taken that completely the wrong way.

I didn't say my birth didn't go to plan, where did i say that!? .. i'm saying it's best to keep an open mind, because babies have a mind of their own :thumbup:

It's great to have a plan in mind, however, it's also best to keep an open mind as must as possible. Every other Mum WILL tell you the same.

I didn't say YOU were naive, i said I was naive.

I totally agree with you here. Birth is unpredictable and even if you have had a baby you won't know how you are going to react to the pain, but even more so if you haven't done it before. I was adamant I wouldn't be having the epidural but when i was in agonising pain, way more painful than i ever expected and only 3cm dilated i was asking for the epidural.....that I really did not want. Luckily I gave birth just an hour and 27 mins later so the pain was bearable with gas and air and pethidine.

I would keep an open mind if you possibly can, it's good to go with ideas about what you would like but be open to change if you need to be x

I had a Drug with my Daughter Im having troubles remembering the name of it I believe it was called Neubian , It was amazing. I was having troubles with the contractions , and Man it was the best choice I ever made , I will so be asking for it again. took my contractions right away.

I want a waterbirth with G&A but can't say if I'll even get my waterbirth since the pool may not be free but I do want to avoid pethadine & an epidural if I can't get my pool or if I feel the pain is too much with just G&A. I have read about a drug called Meptid or aka Meptazinol which is related to Morphine which seems to have less side affects than Pethidine & its ok for having waterbirths. The only down side would be is there is no antidote whereas with Pethidine there is. Its not generally a problem but if the baby comes shortly after you receive it, its a risk and if the injection had been Pethadine baby would be given an antidote. Also I've read its more costly than Pethidine which is why its not offered as much.

I do have quite a high pain threshold so I'm pretty confident in myself :thumbup:

I had a Drug with my Daughter Im having troubles remembering the name of it I believe it was called Neubian , It was amazing. I was having troubles with the contractions , and Man it was the best choice I ever made , I will so be asking for it again. took my contractions right away.

Yes, Nubain!! Its a narcotic and it DOES pass over to the baby, but its short acting so they pry wont come out all sleepy and stuff. It last like 2-3 hours they say. If I NEED something, this is probably what I will opt for too.

Yes, Nubain!! Its a narcotic and it DOES pass over to the baby, but its short acting so they pry wont come out all sleepy and stuff. It last like 2-3 hours they say. If I NEED something, this is probably what I will opt for too.

Yeah it didnt Last Very Long it was just the perfect amount of timing , by the time It came to Jaymee being Born it was pretty much worn off and I was fine and walking around within the half hour

i had an epidural and thats all.
i have a history with some drugs and the effects theyhave on my mind - there was no way i wanted to feel like that during labour
i fought an epidural for sooo long, but after 14 hours of back to back labour i was stuck at 3cm.
epidural was the best thing ever!
i relaxed for 2 hours, visualised my cervix opening, 2 hrs were up and i was ready to push.
i could feel everything in the end, which i dnt think was quite normal, but all went smoothly besides that

Im hoping to have a water birth, gas & air, dont want an epidural & am hoping i can cope with the pain so i dont end up asking for one

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->