• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Painful breasts 6 weeks in!

VillageGirl

Mummy to a gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
Is it normal for your breast/ nipples to hurt the whole time you are not actually nursing? When little man is nursing they feel fine but the rest of the time they are sore and feel like shooting pains. I have to use shields mch to my displeasure due to flat nipple issues although we are trying to wean him off them, could this be contributing? I cannot even stand my quilt at night to touch them!
Please help/ reassure as I am not about to quit anytime soon.

I'm being treated for thrush and it sounds quite similar to that? I think there's a good article on kellymom or breastfeeding network. Sorry I can't be more help I'm on my phone and it's awkward!x

I'm having the same problem and nobody seems to be able to help me with it so don't have any answers unfortunately. Today I have tried breast shells (I got them cheap on amazon). They fit inside your bra and protect your nipples and also draw them out ready for next feed if you have difficulty with flat nipples which I also do. It has made me more comfortable today so might be worth trying?? Let me know if you find out the cause and I'll do the same for you x

Hi,
I don't know if what I'm experiencing is similar to you, but for the past few days I've been getting pains inbetween feeds just on one side, but I think it's starting on the other breast too. Sometimes also towards the end of the feed it starts getting a bit sore and uncomfortable, like a rough feeling on my nipple.
It's not a constant pain but it comes and goes, like a tingling sort of pain, but sometimes it's like a throb, but it's not overly painful. I noticed that it seemed to happen more when I was cold. When I get out of the bath or shower my nipples have always been particularly sensitive. Sometimes my breast pads feel uncomfortable like they are rubbing on my nipple.
Someone on here asked if my nipples go white at all, which I didn't think they did, but now I'm actually looking they do seem to lose their colour or go white on the tip especially after feeding. Google blanching and Reynaulds when breastfeeding and see if it sounds like what you are experiencing.
I think this is what's wrong with me, I think very early on when breastfeeding was new to me I had the same sort of symptoms but thought nothing of it and it seemed to go away but 10 weeks later it's back!
I hope this helps you a bit, even if you can rule this out. I know what it's like when something's wrong and it's worrying not knowing what it is. I absolutely love breastfeeding and it's such a worry when you think something might jepardise it!
Also, I don't have any faith in my GP so I didn't want to go and see him about it, he's clueless when it comes to breastfeeding, he told me to stop feeding my LO on one side when I had a blocked duct and he's told me that "if I like" I can start giving LO a bottle of formula a day! Anyway, sorry I'm rambling!
I might give our local breastfeeding group a call instead!
Heather x

I'm having the same problem and nobody seems to be able to help me with it so don't have any answers unfortunately. Today I have tried breast shells (I got them cheap on amazon). They fit inside your bra and protect your nipples and also draw them out ready for next feed if you have difficulty with flat nipples which I also do. It has made me more comfortable today so might be worth trying?? Let me know if you find out the cause and I'll do the same for you x

I will keep you posted if I find a cure/reason! Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"