Painkillers

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Mooshie, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Mooshie

Mooshie Well-Known Member

I wondered what painkillers we are allowed to take (over the counter ones) other than paracetamol?

My back pain is unbearable! I'm in agony and I can't get an appointment with my GP :cry:

Last night I barely slept a wink as I couldn't get comfortable and lay in bed in tears with the pain.

I've just had enough!

2. Mabelpye

Mabelpye Well-Known Member

I would see your Doctor / Midwife hun, because you won't be able to get anything over the counter, especially if you look pregnant. They'll be able to advise you what you can take, and maybe prescribe you a short course of something. I'm meant to be on Codeine & Tramadol for pain, but I'm just not allowed to take them during pregnancy =( apparently co-codamol is okay as a one off, but not for much more than that. Try relaxing baths and get your OH to give you lots of massages =) hot water bottles should help ease it a little too xxx

3. K4tiemay

K4tiemay Well-Known Member

Some people on here are on co-codomol regularly for recurrent pan - best to speak to your doc though for advice. No anti inflammatory pain killers I think unfortunately as they'd be the best for a bad back.

4. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

yup go and see ur doctor. i no u cud when i was pregnant with my son take 8/500 co codamol but i need a perscription for that.

id rather try and find out the reason of ur back pain rather then drugging up lol x

5. Mooshie

Thanks ladies, i'll see if I can get a phone consultation as they have appointments left for today.

The pain is caused by my SPD moomin_troll. My hips are out of alignment and thats causing the pain in my back :cry:

6. moomin_troll

my hips were wonky as i call it due to my first pregnancy so u can actualy get that fixed with physio. to make the pain ease get on ur knees with ur hands on the floor in line with ur shoulders. then arch ur back, and put ur bum on ur feet.

do it afew times and that should help line the hips. i have to do it all the time:hugs:

7. Mooshie

I was at physio the other day and she gave me some exercises to do. None of them seem to be working tho!

I'll try that one you've just said, thanks! x

8. moomin_troll

they dont work fast unfortunatly, they are so build up strenth in ur hips that takes ages to do. long as ur doing ur exercises as many times as the pysio has said then u will feel it soon.

9. Stef

Stef Mummy to Olivia & PG #2

10. Mellybelle

Mellybelle Well-Known Member

Swimming will work wonders in back pain. You'll be surprised.

11. moomin_troll

yoga is another great one! i love it when im doing it but its just getting off the sofa hahaha

12. soon to be 3

soon to be 3 Well-Known Member

i also have spd and believe me i know how Ur feeling i cant sleep or sit down for to long i walk around holding my privets lol but that's the amount of pain im in don't know how much more i can take im on co-codamol 30/500 the strongest ones and have been for sometime GP/MW and OB are all OK with it and i have asked many times on here and a lot of ladies take them i do feel guilty cause i didnt have to with my other two put cant take the pain so have no choice i to don't think physio works i go as well i don't find it useful at all just makes my pain worse that's my opinion my GP told me to never take ibuprofen they are so dangerous not sure on that but because he told me that i will stay away from them i trust him have seen him since i was little lol i really hope u get better soon it really gets u down!!!!all the best hun take care xxx

13. sequeena

sequeena Winging it.

Paracetamol and that's about it I think. I was advised to take it at 6 weeks when I had the flu. I was just told to take it less often, instead of 2 every 4 hours take 2 every 6-8 hours.