pants??

Kates1122

Reaction score
ok, i know i'm not going crazy, was talking to another bnb user, and was saying how i saw some users use the words "pants"...does that mean something else in other countries???

I believe it means useless or worthless or some such... lol. I heard someone talking about a BBT thermometer that didn't work well and said "I got the impression it was a bit pants, so I tossed it and got a new one" (or something like that). That's my best approximation. Countdown til I get corrected beyond all belief and feel like a moron! :) 3, 2, 1...

Pants is used in UK quite a lot.... if you say something is pants you mean its rubbish or crap? HOpe this helps - I personally like saying pants, it puts a bit of lightheartedness to it.... Here's hoping nobody will have to say pants for much longer!!! :thumbup:

yeah I say pants too, it sounds more lighthearted than rubbish or useless.
so for example:
friend: i feel a bit sick today
me: aw thats pants, feel better soon
:rofl:

pants in the US are trousers right? In the UK they are underwear. That always confused me too.

Worth bearing in mind hun that pants in the UK are NOT trousers - theyre knickers! Undergarments! So instead of saying oh s**t or f**k a lot of Brits say oh pants!

and our fannies are at the front not the back!

Hahaha, yeah as a Brit it always cracks me up when you hear on US tv shows etc people referring to their bums as fannies. I remember on the Simpsons someone fell on their 'fanny'. Imagine falling on your front bum! hee hee! Now THAT would be pants!

My American friend referred to men's pants as "tighty whities". Well, of course, I was in stitches and he couldn't understand the hilarity. Maybe it wasn't that funny. Tighty whities tighty whities tighty whities :rofl: :rofl:

You've just made me giggle out loud and I could do with a good laugh right now. Thanks everyone

Don't get started on rubbers...when my dad was in his 20's he went to work in an office in Canada. On his first day he turned to the office junior who was just out of school and asked her if she had a rubber. Of course she thought he meant a condom, when in actual fact he wanted an eraser! She slapped him! Hahaha.

he he you guys are funny i needed that ive just had a rite giggle :rofl::rofl:

hahaha i think that may have been me in the respect that i was "felling a bit pants"
Yeah it means crappy/shitty etc hope this helps and sorry for my abnormal lingo lol :p

i am literally laughing out loud right now. I felt a little off, and thought maybe I was the only one the felt clueless. It fun to learn new things though ! Now we all know ! Thanks ladies !:dohh:

too cute... thanks for the help ladies!! i thought that's what ppl meant when they said "pants"

and fyi the only people i know who say 'trousers' are like 70+... jeans would be an example of pants here ;)

and 'tighty whiteys' are breifs - the kind of men's underwear that none of our dh's are wearing as they are the sperm-cooking type!!

i love learning how to speak british! lol... got confused here at first trying to figure out what meal 'tea' was... its dinner, i understand now. and not the brit-speak noon hour meal... the supper, 6pm-ish meal! hahah...

urrggghhh I hate the image that "tighty whiteys" brings to mind.

Yes, tea is quite confusing. I am a Brit and still don't really know the difference between tea, dinner and supper. I think supper is something one has between lunch and tea but then that is a lot of food for one day if you count breakfast.

Oh I didn't know men wore briefs (any Brits out there can correct me). Women do. Men wear y-fronts (i.e., tighty whities urrrggghhhhh). Maybe I am just not well acquainted with the intricacies men's underwear (aprt from DH's that is) :rofl:

I think briefs is quite unisex. i would call 'tighty whities' briefs. womens are knickers.

then whole tea/dinner/supper thing is confusing to me too, I think it varies around the country.
For me your meals are breakfast - lunch - dinner or supper. Tea for me is coffee/tea & cakes mid-afternoon. Then there is Elevenses too :rofl: I think traditionally Supper was a mid-evening formal meal, dinner was informal and came earlier than supper. For example on a normal day you would have Dinner at about 6pm, but if you had a host of eloquent guests you would Supper at about 8 or 9pm. That is how I understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->