PAP smear at 5-6 DPO?

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
I have been spotting after AF ends at CD 7, up until CD 12, for the last two months. My OB NP wants me to do an ultrasound ASAP to look for uterine fibroids/polyps and she said at the same time we should do my PAP. So the ultrasound and PAP are scheduled tomorrow. I'll be 5-6 DPO.

I am a bit scared of doing the PAP because I've read stories online of women spotting after PAPs and having it turn into m/c. I am concerned because 5-6 DPO is right when implantation should be taking place and if I'm pregnant I don't want to do anything that will interfere with bean snuggling in :nope:

I would just tell your doctor that you're ttc (if they don't know that you are already) and you would prefer holding off on the PAP until later. They should understand your concerns. As a side note it is curious that you mention this because I had a PAP done at 9/10 dpo last cycle and ended up not being pregnant despite showing many positive signs. I even took a pregnancy test the day of my PAP with a nice line on it that I assumed was an EVAP when AF came. AF was also 11 days long... usually she is only 5-6 days... maybe I did have a chemical? Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I thought nothing of it at the time but now I wonder...

Oh wow, I am so sorry that this happened to you (or potentially did). I did a lot of Googling and a good number of women mention that they had a PAP during the TWW and had no noticeable ill effects and even went on to get BFPs. Then there are some women who had PAPs during the first tri, were told to expect some spotting and cramping, and that spotting and cramping progressed to m/c. The question is whether the PAP caused the m/c or whether those women were going to m/c anyway and the PAP just got the ball rolling.

Personally I feel like anything that has the potential to cause spotting and cramping is not good for a potentially implanting bean, but I guess I will see what my NP says today when I voice my concerns.

This is a fertility NP so she is aware I'm TTC, and has been the one working with me the last couple of months on the progesterone and betas etc.

Just an update for anyone finding this thread, OP here.

Had the PAP done yesterday and it was uneventful, no spotting or cramping or pain afterwards, and will get results back in a week. Also had a t/v ultrasound done to look for uterine masses to explain the bleeding and our difficulty conceiving. The ultrasound showed a nabothian cervical cyst (not worrisome) and at least one 1.3 cm fibroid or polyp that is taking up a lot of implantation sites, which explains why I'm not pregnant. The fibroid/polyp will need to be removed surgically and biopsied.

Edited: Full update: Not only did PAP came back normal, but I got my BFP 4 days after the PAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->