Parenting styles/decisions game

Discussion in 'Waiting To Try' started by cupcake123, Jun 8, 2011.

1. cupcake123

cupcake123 Well-Known Member

Just for fun, because lets face it, when we are WTT things like how we bring up our children are frequent topics of conversation.

Here is a little challenge/game to make you think about parenting choices/ decisions...

Take one thing you enjoyed about your own upbrining/childhood and one thing you wish was different and list them. They don't need to relate to each other, the only rule is that for every thing that you would keep about your childhood you have to list one that you would change. It is all personal opinions so no heavy debates please!

I would keep that I was brought up to read lots of books, but I would change the fact that I wasn't introduced to many sports/exercise.

I would keep that I was given Marmite as a child (cos I love it now haha- random) and I would change (if possible obv) that I was an only child/that my child will be an only child.

So do you have any things you would keep and change? I think it is really interesting seeing how your own childhood influences your future! Hopefully this thread will get a few replies

2. MrsBroodyPant

MrsBroodyPant Well-Known Member

I'd keep the fact I was given a fair amount of freedom but I'd change the among of sweets I was allowed to eat asu teeth are terrible x

3. cupcake123

cupcake123 Well-Known Member

Ooh those are good ones! I definately agree with the importance of freedom!

4. anniepie

anniepie Well-Known Member

I would keep the fact that I was given so many opportunities (for which I will be eternally greatful to my parents, and know they had to personally miss out themselves for that), but change the fact that I was pushed/encouraged into academia when my heart was elsewhere...

5. Chai_w

Chai_w TTC #1

i would keep the openness that was available, but i would not make my children do a condom test(long story really funny actually but not gonna do it to my children).
    i would change the the privacy issue(my mom has gone through my trash, and if i had a diary it was understood that she would try and read it), my kids would get their privacy.
    also i want more sit down meals like my gma and gpa use to do =D
    i'll prolly think of more later but thats the main ones on my mind :pizza:

6. anniepie

anniepie Well-Known Member

Come on...you have to tell us lol

7. Joey_baby

Joey_baby Guest

i was bought up with quite stritct parents how they was bought up, and now im older ive learned to respect what they done as its made me more aware of life and not to be so easy on my kids when i have them

8. BlaireUK

BlaireUK Well-Known Member

I would keep the fact that I was smothered in love and affection by my parents and encouraged to be an independent and individual person. I want my children to experience that same kind of affection so that they feel comfortable expressing their feelings.

I would change the fact that I wasn't really pushed to achieve any goals - I think there is a fine balance but my parents were too worried about over pushing me and I think I needed a little more encouragement to reach my full potential.

9. Sydd

Sydd 2 in heaven

i would want to keep always having family meals and being encouraged to try new things (reading/sports etc) I would be less strict on my kids (curfew wise) and would talk more openly about things to them :flower:

10. smokey

smokey Mummy to a monkey

I would/will keep the morals I was brought up with such as teaching the importance of manners and respect for others but will not be ever using a child minder other then family.

11. Raincloud

Raincloud Well-Known Member

I would keep that I had a diverse upbringing, I would change growing up in two homes.

12. LovePurple

LovePurple Well-Known Member

I would keep the fact my parents were always singing around the house, they never sweat the small stuff. If something broke- it was replaceable..
    It was a very positive outlook. They also taught us hard work at a young age, but made it fun!

I would change the bubble they lived in. They were so positive and "like the brady bunch" they didn't understand a lot of what teenagers and young ones saw on a day to day basis.

13. everdreaming

everdreaming Guest

I would change the fact that I was frequently beaten as a child, because that is not the best form of discipline! But I would keep that I was always encouraged to practice my music and dance - my passions that now offer me a release.

I would change that I was always looked after by other family members when I was younger while my mum worked as we can never recover the relationship we didn't develop when I was a child. I would keep that I had to tidy my room and do chores to earn my pocket money. As much as I hated it as a child I have learned to take pride in my personal apace and not to be shy of hard work :)

Love this thread by the way! :haha:

14. Jackyx

Jackyx Well-Known Member

I would keep that when i was a kid i was treated as a kid and got to do kid things like playing out, exploring, messing around and the understanding that you should push the boundries as a kid as you get older and get more slack- to a point :D and that i knew my own mind and what i did and didn't like as just cause your a kid it doesn't mean your not capable of knowing your own mind
    (Such as i would only eat certain things- very picky eater and have got better but on my own terms as i got older)

I would change that my mom wasn't as close to us as i would have liked, i didn't feel like i could really talk to her or do fun things with her as she didn't really spend much time with us (Working alot during evenings as we needed the money), it's very different now we seem to have grown alot closer so it turned out well in the end and love going on shopping trips together :)

(My mom was like that due to stress and work- so always remember that kids will appreciate your time and effort then anything else :) )

15. Tigerlily01

Tigerlily01 Well-Known Member

I would keep that music was introduced to me at an early age and supported my entire life.

I would change that being active was not particularly encouraged, and some sports were not allowed at all (ie. no martial arts...I think this would have really benefited me as a kid!).

16. butterfly1988

butterfly1988 Well-Known Member

I would keep the indepenace my mum taught me and the value of money but I would want my children to be able to talk to me about anything!!!