Part time work and Bank Hols

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to check something with all you intelligent ladies.
I have decided I am going back to work for 2 days a week in November. I will be going back Tuesdays and Wednesdays. In my previous contract, I am entitled to 20 days holiday + bank holidays and 1 days extra holiday per year I have worked there. My question is, will I still be entitled to 8 bank holidays, even though I'm not working on a Monday? Also, with my extra hols (2 at the minute, 3 as of Jan) with I be entitled to those in full?
I hope that makes sense, just want to know what I am entitled to before I go back.

I have 2 part time jobs at the moment, so am pretty up to speed with the calculating holidays and bank holiday allowance.

However, all i can say to you - is that it depends on who you work for. Both the companies I work for have procedures in place for part time staff so that if you only work the end of the week, you get an little bit extra because you miss bank holiday mondays etc etc.

It really is going to be a case of checking with your own company and their HR department. My sister works for a doctors surgery and they have no procedure or allowance for bank holidays at all.

Thanks hun, I'll check with my work. Just wanted to be up to speed, in case they told me wrong.

Sorry to bump this back up, but I am now confused again. The law is now that all workers are entitled to 28 days holiday including bank holidays. Now if I am working 2 days a week surely I should be entitled to 2/5ths of 28 to take when I wish?
Also, if this is the case does it work out that I have taken my bank holiday days through the year when I have been on Mat leave? Or will I still be entitled to take these days (or a proportion of them) when I go back to work. I'm looking on the internet and getting conflicting answers, so wondering if anyone knows on here.

Not much help here regarding the bank hols I'm afraid as I am also clueless:dohh:, but I went back two days a week at the end of April after working full time previous to my maternity leave. I left in April 2008, & had to take all my remaining hols for that year before I left. (Our hols are Jan to Jan) Before I went back in April 2009, I had to take a proportion of the years holidays that I had accrued whilst still being classed as a full time worker when on mat leave. When I went back, I was paid for all the bank hols I missed whilst being on mat leave rather than having the time, so that was a good 1st paypacket :happydance: I was then told how many hours holiday I had left, but the other day I was then told that I would owe them hrs as I was only entitled to a proportion of the bank holiday due to only being part time. They made me go back on Mondays & Fridays, meaning I work every bank hol going & am therefore forced to take the day off!!! I was not happy & told them to take it out of the hrs I had left as I wasn't coming in to work the hrs back. It is too difficult to work out this yr due to the hols taken before coming back, (& I can't be arsed now) so will take more notice of next years allowance!:growlmad:
Hope that all made sense by the way:wacko:

The way it works for my company is that you should get 2/5 of 31 days but you would not get bank holidays off automatically so you would have to take Christmas etc of as a holiday rather than it being a bank holiday. It does make sense as it was explained to me that working part time you dont necessarily work the day that bank holiday is on (I wont work Mondays) so I actually get more days as I get a proportion of the bank holidays. However I am not sure it works the same way if you do work Mondays!

In my job, if you work part-time on a mon, you are entitled to half of the hours off, if you don't work mondays you are entitled to claim half a day back

Hi so sorry, nearly forgot about this thread! I was so confused with it all, I spoke to ACAS and the woman I spoke to told me that I was entitled to take the bank holidays that happened whilst I was on Mat leave at a later date. She said that this was because the minimum hols anyone can have is 28 days a year for a full time worker, and if I didn't get these hols back then I would not be getting the stat. minimum. So yeh, I spoke to my work, told them this and I am getting the whole of December off, and going back for 3 weeks in Nov!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->