Partner's job making my life impossible!!

baileybubs

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just a little rant really as I am so annoyed at df's boss. He's really not being very fair. My df works split shifts, evenings and weekends so he works 5 evenings a week and his 2 days off are always weekdays.
Recently his boss hasn't been writing the rota out until Friday for the week beginning Sunday!! So at the moment I still don't know if my partner is working or not on Monday!
As a consequence it means that I can't organise anything that I need to do without my daughter! I desperately need my hair cut and I've also got a tooth that needs removing but I can't book either appointment because by the time I find out what df is working the dentist and hairdresser are full up for those days!!
Df has tried talking to his boss about it but he just isn't listening, he doesn't seem to care.
I had arranged a meeting with someone to start doing some volunteer work on Monday and df has asked his boss if he is off so I can go, and his boss replied with "your mrs shouldn't plan to do stuff until you find your days off should she? You can't come and ask me for specific days off just so your mrs can go to a meeting"!!!
How am I supposed to book this meeting when I don't even know what he's working til 2 days before the week begins??

I'm so frustrated and I know df has tried to speak to his boss but he's just being unreasonable.

I'm getting more upset because we can't afford nursery fees for me to go back to work full time so we were just planning on my working part time on the weekdays df is off work, but there's no way we can do that if his boss never let's him know his rota in advance?
I'm starting to really worry about what we will do when my maternity is over.

Ok I feel better now I've vented lol! Thanks for reading :flower:

How awful! He sounds like a dick! Hopefully you can get something sorted, surely there must be a rule about giving forward notice about shifts? That can't be allowed! Hope something gets sorted, try not to stress too much :( x

Thanks hun, I feel better now I've ranted about it lol!! Sadly by law an employer only has to give 48 hours notice of rotas so there's nothing he can do. But I guess we'll figure out what we can as we go along!
It is very annoying though how this idiot can dictate people's lives to such an extent!

I'm pretty sure df's boss would be bound by law to get a roster out earlier than that. Here we have fair work australia, phone the equivalent of that in the uk & ask about it. Then you can shove it to the boss!

My old boss used to put the rota up on a sunday night for week begining monday morning! it does make life very very hard and is more than annoying. we used to have to book days off at least 2 weeks in advance and the boss would just put us on another day instead. Can your oh boss do that? so if he usually works mon-fri but you want to bbok something for monday, book it off in advance then oh works tues-sat instead or would he not do that?

No he won't do that. They can't book specific days off, it would have to be taken as a holiday day. He actually asked for this Monday off but got told he would "see what he could do" but then didn't give it him anyway. It's really frustrating, I don't get how he expects him to be able to go to the dentist or anything coz he can't book an appointment!

Oh I empathise! My hb has a rotating shift pattern which is a pain in itself, but the late shift consistently runs over, and they have constant overtime pressure. The boss goes on about his employees being 'family' but they get treated like crap!

When my df said to his boss that he had child care to think about, his boss said "how many people do you think have kids, they manage".......if I'd been there I would have pointed out that they probably manage because they have set rotas/know their shifts more than 2 days in advance!!!

We are in a similar boat. OH works 5/7 and his rotas are done on a Sunday to start the next day. We can't plan anything...out of one of his days off, we have his dd. His days off can be consecutive or split, weekend or weekdays. I can't plan dicky shit. Ive had to cancel a dentist appointment for 10th June coz we cant guarantee he will be off and I have no-one else to watch lo. Los first Holliday will be without daddy too which I'm gutted about

It's a nightmare isn't it lilmissdanni?! I feel like my df's boss controls my whole family's lives!! And there's no need for him to leave it so late to do it, he's just being awkward.
Our solution is that he's looking for another job, but that's hard work at the moment as there are no decent jobs! Such a sad state of affairs when basically it's a case of have a job where you are treated like crap or have no job at all!

My OH loves his job and doesn't see it being an issue...however I do. Ppl have asked me to do stuff and if he's on a 2-11, Iddon't like being out all day as it means lo doesn't see daddy at all that day

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"