Patè in pregnancy

HLx

Mummy to Layla, George & Enzo <3
Reaction score
I was just scouting a heated debate on netmums about eating pate in pregnancy, as I've been craving this... once again during pregnancy.

With my 1st I didn't touch it I was scared, with my second I had a few pieces of toast and pate throughout the pregnancy and he was okay, this pregnancy I've ate it twice this week due to craving something possibly high in iron, and just the taste. I probably wont eat it for a while now just to be safe.

My mum thinks the world is bonkers and how when she was pregnant with me my brother and my sister was told to eat liver products by her midwife, she also occasionally drank alcohol, and the midwives said a glass of red wine a night was good for her and the baby hahaha! I also told my mum and me and my brother were absolute mental cases growing up, possibly due to all the 'bad things' she done in pregnancy hahaha!

Anyways I'd like to know everyone's views on the 'naughty things' in pregnancy.

I think mines only pate this pregnancy and I still very naughty use an ECig now and again, but with my son and daughter in also had a glass of champagne new year's eve.

I was just scouting a heated debate on netmums about eating pate in pregnancy, as I've been craving this... once again during pregnancy.

With my 1st I didn't touch it I was scared, with my second I had a few pieces of toast and pate throughout the pregnancy and he was okay, this pregnancy I've ate it twice this week due to craving something possibly high in iron, and just the taste. I probably wont eat it for a while now just to be safe.

My mum thinks the world is bonkers and how when she was pregnant with me my brother and my sister was told to eat liver products by her midwife, she also occasionally drank alcohol, and the midwives said a glass of red wine a night was good for her and the baby hahaha! I also told my mum and me and my brother were absolute mental cases growing up, possibly due to all the 'bad things' she done in pregnancy hahaha!

Anyways I'd like to know everyone's views on the 'naughty things' in pregnancy.

I think mines only pate this pregnancy and I still very naughty use an ECig now and again, but with my son and daughter in also had a glass of champagne new year's eve.
So what exactly is pate? Haha I eat a lot that I shouldn’t when I’m pregnant, for some reason subway is my go to when I’m pregnant and they tell us not to eat lunch meat that isn’t heated up to a certain temp. I don’t live on it but I definitely eat more of it than I should. I do avoid alcohol, once in a great while I will have a glass on wine but usually only1 or 2 the whole 9/10 months. I guess it depends on the person. I don’t worry a lot about things and try to put faith in God that He will always protect my children. I think worry and stress causes more harm to the baby in utero than a lunch meat sandwich but that’s me! :)

I think most people bend the rules a bit to be honest and as long as it’s in moderation who cares? A little bit of something isn’t going to hurt just knowing when to control it. To be fair my mum said exactly same thing about eating what she liked she smoked with all 3 of her children and we turned out ok lol. Some people are to scared/nervous to touch any foods we’ve been told to stay away from and some will eat a bit of what they want regardless I’m definitely the latter but also am nervous of some foods. I ate pate with my son but can’t really stand the thought of it this time. I went through a stage of eating lots of tuna this time but I’ve gone off it a little bit now haha

I avoid everything i "shouldn't" have, just because I know I'd worry too much for eating them :haha:

My craving with my son and daughter was patè ... i ate SO much of it after delivering :haha:

I've had the odd boiled egg with slightly runny yolk to dip me toast in. I'm sorry but hard boiled just dont cut it when u wanna little dunk dunk of the old toasty soldier hehe.
I haven't drank any alcohol and I gave up smoking a year ago but I'm a sod when it comes to drinking water.
I dont like water it's just nasty and has no taste. The only time I will drink it is if I'm really really supper thirsty.
I'm a sucker for a cup of tea. But I dont have it strong because i dont like strong tea. So its literally boiled water and dunk the tea bag for about 2 seconds max then sugar milk. I love my cups of tea Haha.
I've had about 3 cups of coffee since I've been pregnant just because I fancied it Haha. Very odd for me because I'm not a fan of coffee normoly. That's about as naughty as I've been so far so not to bad lol.
Really loving those hobnob busicutes with the cream in the middle. I go through packets of them. And salty stuff.

I think the naughties in pregnancy is what keeps us going! Oh yes I love a dippy egg!!! And apparently according to my midwife its allowed now as long as it has the red lion stamp, so I've ate about 10 dippy eggs in total so far hahaha!

So what exactly is pate? Haha I eat a lot that I shouldn’t when I’m pregnant, for some reason subway is my go to when I’m pregnant and they tell us not to eat lunch meat that isn’t heated up to a certain temp. I don’t live on it but I definitely eat more of it than I should. I do avoid alcohol, once in a great while I will have a glass on wine but usually only1 or 2 the whole 9/10 months. I guess it depends on the person. I don’t worry a lot about things and try to put faith in God that He will always protect my children. I think worry and stress causes more harm to the baby in utero than a lunch meat sandwich but that’s me! :)

It's like a liver paste you buy, put it on toast or crackers and it is heaven, and I dont like liver usually but love pate! Oh I've had subway a few times too! Never give it a thought about the lunch meats!!!

medium steak...I've had 2 so far! I cannot eat it well done! Other than that, I think I pretty much hit the recommended limit for caffeine every day!x:shock:

medium steak...I've had 2 so far! I cannot eat it well done! Other than that, I think I pretty much hit the recommended limit for caffeine every day!x:shock:

I have also had medium steaks! What a waste of a good piece of meat if its charcoaled hahaha!! I should have renamed this thread the naughties of pregnancy!

I have also started hitting the maximum caffeine limit which I do need to keep an eye on! My partner is Portuguese and they basically live on espressos so I try and drink just the one a day, but I still have my good old milky coffee too hahaha!

One thing I should stop is my ecig, I've cut it down to 0% nicotine, but you never know! The sweet juice really helps the days I'm feeling pretty sick

I'm with you and your mum - my mum is the same, she never cut all that much out when she was pregnant with my brother and I and she thinks the world has gone mad. She obviously cut out most alcohol, but still had the odd red wine. And ate whatever she felt like. I'm half Spanish so I drink a lot of espresso, eat so much cured meat and other Spanish foods (one that's a bit like pate but even worse) haha. I've been over to Spain twice since being pregnant and ate exactly the same as I would have if I wasn't pregnant. I have cut out alcohol (and it's slowly killing me hahaha craving red wine so bad) but I'm not cutting out any food. I asked my midwife and she said it's a guideline in case it upsets your stomach and you end up sick. But I figured if I eat those things all the time and I'm not sick then I'll just continue. I'm also horrific for drinking water. Trying to force myself but it's a real struggle!!

I've had the odd subway craving as well, I probably eat it once a week. I have a Pepsi addiction which I've cut back on but probably drink more than I should still so probably at my caffeine limit too. I don't drink coffee or tea so I'm not too concerned. I've stayed away from all alcohol but never drank much anyway. I think I'd feel to guilty even though I'm sure a small glass of wine is perfectly fine. I was a cannabis smoker as its legal here prior to pregnancy and I did vape a very small amount of CBD only a couple times for insomnia. There's no evidence it can cause harm but I still don't want to take chances. I know they sell CBD for morning sickness but not sure I trust the small amount of research that's been done so staying away from it.

I'm with you and your mum - my mum is the same, she never cut all that much out when she was pregnant with my brother and I and she thinks the world has gone mad. She obviously cut out most alcohol, but still had the odd red wine. And ate whatever she felt like. I'm half Spanish so I drink a lot of espresso, eat so much cured meat and other Spanish foods (one that's a bit like pate but even worse) haha. I've been over to Spain twice since being pregnant and ate exactly the same as I would have if I wasn't pregnant. I have cut out alcohol (and it's slowly killing me hahaha craving red wine so bad) but I'm not cutting out any food. I asked my midwife and she said it's a guideline in case it upsets your stomach and you end up sick. But I figured if I eat those things all the time and I'm not sick then I'll just continue. I'm also horrific for drinking water. Trying to force myself but it's a real struggle!!

Hahaha yes!!! My partner is Portuguese and espressos are life! I cant walk into my sister in laws without an espresso waiting for me, she nearly fainted when I said I'll have a cup of tea today instead hahaha!! I dont eat that many cured meats and I'm not sure if theres any you can still eat in pregnancy, but if I did fancy any cured meat at some point, trust me I would still eat it! :)

I've had the odd subway craving as well, I probably eat it once a week. I have a Pepsi addiction which I've cut back on but probably drink more than I should still so probably at my caffeine limit too. I don't drink coffee or tea so I'm not too concerned. I've stayed away from all alcohol but never drank much anyway. I think I'd feel to guilty even though I'm sure a small glass of wine is perfectly fine. I was a cannabis smoker as its legal here prior to pregnancy and I did vape a very small amount of CBD only a couple times for insomnia. There's no evidence it can cause harm but I still don't want to take chances. I know they sell CBD for morning sickness but not sure I trust the small amount of research that's been done so staying away from it.

I've not had any alcohol this pregnancy, but I do miss it! I try to stay away from it but my last 2 babies I was pregnant over new year and was not passing on the champagne Haha:)

I think the problem with pate is that it has a high risk of having the listeria bacteria which can be harmful for your baby. I ate pate the other day but it was homemade by my mother in law that day so I figured it was probably safe. Deli meats also are at risk for listeria although the risk is small. Personally I prefer to avoid them as there are so many other things to eat, for me it’s not worth the risk.

I think the problem with pate is that it has a high risk of having the listeria bacteria which can be harmful for your baby. I ate pate the other day but it was homemade by my mother in law that day so I figured it was probably safe. Deli meats also are at risk for listeria although the risk is small. Personally I prefer to avoid them as there are so many other things to eat, for me it’s not worth the risk.

I don't eat homemade or the pate behind the counter, I just eat the one you buy in a tub at the supermarket if you get me, and tbh since I made this threat I haven't ate it since! I think it helped my craving enough to just not want it now lol

With my son 8 years ago, i was totally mental with all the rules, and I basically tried to follow them. But it was impossible, its 3/4 of a year for goodness sakes. To avoid all things you are used to eating. And the more you avoid them, the more you crave them.
So, this is my regime, I eat almost everything. I dont eat raw fish and undercooked meat. Ive reduced my coffee to one cup a week, no more energy drinks. I eat my black pudding which I love once every 2 weeks. I eat my runny eggs every morning (I cant live without that, and DH ensures the fridge is stacked with eggs). I drink only 1 glass of irish cream alcohol....if I go to a party. If not, I will take only 1 sip of DH's beer if he drinks it, which would be maybe once in 2 or 3 weeks.
I will never sit with a glass of wine or a bottle of beer, or whatever alcohol. I havent craved any paté yet, but if I do I will surely have some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->