Paternity leave ??

beckynbump25

mommy to 1 an expecting
Reaction score
Okay so i know OH can get 50 somethink days off,at 90% of his wage or £130 a week.
OH's work has said he can have it off but at £100 a week which is 50% of his wage there's noway the four of us can live off this a week.
does anyone know if we will be entitled too more working tax credits than usual as i don't work ?
because if this is the case OH wont' be having paternity leave as we can't afford it! thanks girles xx

I think that you can ring them and tell them your money is going to go down, but I am not sure if it will make much of a difference. My wages used to be £1400 and my first maternity pay was £490 :-( Cause there is 3 months left of tax year, it didn't make enough difference to what I have got over the whole year, so nothing changed. But its always worth ringing them to find out. My OH can't take Paternity cos we just couldnt afford it.

You will still get working tax credits because your OH is still classed as working - but on paternity. x

I though paternity leave was two weeks at £124 or 90% if it's less than £124. The same as SMP.

I though paternity leave was two weeks at £124 or 90% if it's less than £124. The same as SMP.

yep that is true for just now but I think in April then a dad can take six months of paternity but only AFTER the mother has gone back to work. and it is subject to the same rules and conditions as SMP is.

My partner will take a couple of weeks holiday rather than paternity as its financially more sensible for us.

yep that is true for just now but I think in April then a dad can take six months of paternity but only AFTER the mother has gone back to work. and it is subject to the same rules and conditions as SMP is.

My partner will take a couple of weeks holiday rather than paternity as its financially more sensible for us.

Yes, it is but before tax and national insurance, so roughly £100 a week. There's no way we could manage on this, so my OH is taking 2 weeks holiday too...just can't afford him to take paternity!! X

Yes, it is but before tax and national insurance, so roughly £100 a week. There's no way we could manage on this, so my OH is taking 2 weeks holiday too...just can't afford him to take paternity!! X

surely you dont get tax and NI on governement money that low? does that mean our MA is taxed too?!

im really lucky cus OH works for his dad so really flexible and will probably get paid in full woop :)

My hubby can take the two weeks off, completely unpaid.
He has worked for the same company for 18 months but because his job role has changed and his contract has changed he hasn't worked in this job role long enough to get paternity pay.

We are trying to save as much as possible from now until the baby is here and Hubby will be taking as much holiday time off as he can.

Child tax credit and Working tax credit is based on your earnings for the previous year so when it comes to updating your tax credits (when you have had baby) it will be based on April 2010-April 2011.

xXx

You won't be taxed but I think the national insurance is around £2 a month xxx

He has worked for the same company for 18 months but because his job role has changed and his contract has changed he hasn't worked in this job role long enough to get paternity pay.

We are trying to save as much as possible from now until the baby is here and Hubby will be taking as much holiday time off as he can.

Child tax credit and Working tax credit is based on your earnings for the previous year so when it comes to updating your tax credits (when you have had baby) it will be based on April 2010-April 2011.

xXx

I work two jobs currently, so earn quite a bit, but obviously when im off on ML i will only get SMP, then when i go back i will only be going to one of them. How will this affect me do you think? Is there anything you can do so they can look at your current circumstances?

Wow how confussing, so they are allowed to say your just having a hundred pound, i think it might be best just too have a couple of weeks off as holiday.

but we are like do we take them before our due date just in case baby comes early.
or on the 18th(my due date) but then what if she comes early.
or what if we go really over our date and OH's holidays up :(

so much to think about lol x

You won't be taxed but I think the national insurance is around £2 a month xxx

You should be. SMP is considered PAYE (pay as your earn) and will also contribute towards NIC's. However, the amount may actually be low enough to be considered exempt and also lead to a tax rebate!

its all to do with your tax code to be honest. But in all honestly, its very unlikely you will be charged heavily!x

My partners work booked 3 weeks off for him (1 week full pay & 2 weeks holiday) & were really flexible letting him know that his 3 weeks off could start when I went into labour.
As it turns out I'm having a section next Tuesday so he's finishing up on Sunday xxx

mmm thats a good idea i might suggest this to OH then he can ask at work. I'm sure they will have enough notice and knowing around the date.
i suppose it just depends how generous they are feeling.
i he can't have off from when i go in tolabour. im sure you can get somethink called emergency leave does anyone know about this? x

My DH has filled in the paternity forms just in case he needs it (we've had a lot of complications with my pregnancy) but otherwise is just going to take a weeks annual leave when I go into labour. His boss knows my due date and has said he is happy for him to takes a weeks leave at short notice rather than paternity... if he took paternity they wouldn't get any notice anyway! Think they would rather him use a weeks leave than get an extra week off with paternity if you see what I mean so might be worth asking his bosses for some flexibility??

I am not convinced that they can do that, as you are still with the same company and its called continuity of service. I would get that checked out.

With my tax credits they have looked at my current situation.

When I applied for it they asked for last years earnings. I then got my award notice. On it where it said about income it says "this is based on your earnings from year 2009-2010"
Then a month later I went on maternity leave so I rung them and told them about that and then I got another award notice through and on the income bit it says it is based on my income from 2009-2010 and the estimate for 2010-2011. X

I am not convinced that they can do that, as you are still with the same company and its called continuity of service. I would get that checked out.

Yeah I agree. I remember reading something about that in my work policy and it said they can't do it.

mmm thats a good idea i might suggest this to OH then he can ask at work. I'm sure they will have enough notice and knowing around the date.
i suppose it just depends how generous they are feeling.
i he can't have off from when i go in tolabour. im sure you can get somethink called emergency leave does anyone know about this? x

Time off for dependants :thumbup: He should get the time off, if you need him to look after your daughter :winkwink: xxxxx

I completely understand how you all feel but at least your partners are entitled to paternity leave :(. My partner has only worked for the company since December and therefore hasnt been there long enough to be entitled. He is having to take any time off unpaid as he only has enough holiday for 1 maybe 2 days.

He also travels miles away from home and works evenings so at the moment we are having to deal with the possibility that he wont even make it back in time for the birth, This is devestating both of us.

Yesterday he was 2 hours away from home - with no access to transport and today is about 3 - my family have a history of very quick labours so who knows.

I am just hoping and i expect i am the only person on the forum wishing for this but i am hoping I have a long labour to make sure he has time to get back.

I am sorry if i have been rude or offended anyone - just needed to have a rant :(

Okay so i know OH can get 50 somethink days off,at 90% of his wage or £130 a week.
OH's work has said he can have it off but at £100 a week which is 50% of his wage there's noway the four of us can live off this a week.
does anyone know if we will be entitled too more working tax credits than usual as i don't work ?
because if this is the case OH wont' be having paternity leave as we can't afford it! thanks girles xx

My oh is entitled to 2 weeks paid paternity leave and then anything else is unpaid, so he will be taking the two weeks only which is better than it used to be years ago it was only a week when i had my older children, so i will be happy with the 2 weeks as then i will have to get into a routine quicker especially as oh works 70 hr weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->