Paternity leave ??

I completely understand how you all feel but at least your partners are entitled to paternity leave :(. My partner has only worked for the company since December and therefore hasnt been there long enough to be entitled. He is having to take any time off unpaid as he only has enough holiday for 1 maybe 2 days.

He also travels miles away from home and works evenings so at the moment we are having to deal with the possibility that he wont even make it back in time for the birth, This is devestating both of us.

Yesterday he was 2 hours away from home - with no access to transport and today is about 3 - my family have a history of very quick labours so who knows.

I am just hoping and i expect i am the only person on the forum wishing for this but i am hoping I have a long labour to make sure he has time to get back.

I am sorry if i have been rude or offended anyone - just needed to have a rant :(

how was any of that rude, :) I wouldnt take it that just bcos yr family have quick labours that you will too, first time baby's generally take longer than most expect them too so fx yr oh will be there in time x

I am so glad that at oh work paternity pay isnt £100 per week but is fully paid as otherwise he would have to take it as holiday, the other chef is off now on paternity leave 2 weeks at full pay so am not going to mention that to oh incase he mentions it to his boss and doesnt get paid his low paid as it is he only takes home £300 a week afer tax and thats for working 70 hours, the priority in a chef's life is that he covers the other chef when they have time off and vice versa and thats all that their boss cares about:) not always practicle but then you cant have it all xx

We can't afford the SPP so OH is going to book 10 days holiday so that he remains on full pay- otherwise we wouldnt be able to do it.

He was going to book a full 14 days holiday but i told him he doesn't need too. :)

Deffiently book it off as hoilday paternity leave pay is terrible, so much that OH isn't even taking ANY he's just going to take a weeks hoilday instead... I'm pretty sure paternity leave is only 2 weeks though... unless the mother returns back to work? :S

My OH looked into this, I think each work place is different,
He could take paternity leave, but its just not enough money,
so hes taking a week off holiday (this tax year) and then 2 weeks (next tax year) as im due on the 2nd April,
but if baby is early, he might take paternity just to spend more time with baby,
hes talked to his managers and explained the situation, and they were okay with it.
Just get your OH to find out everything he is entitled to, and what their policies are and speak to them about ''what if'' situations happen. =]

My hubby can take the two weeks off, completely unpaid.
He has worked for the same company for 18 months but because his job role has changed and his contract has changed he hasn't worked in this job role long enough to get paternity pay.

I am not convinced that they can do that, as you are still with the same company and its called continuity of service. I would get that checked out.

I shall have to get him to check this out then, thank you!

Basically he was with agency *A* and they had him working for a large company.
Then agency *A* lost their contract with this company.
Agency *B* offered hubby a job as a supervisor for them for the agency workers they had taken over from agency *A* still working for the same large company.
Then Agency *B* had to make cut backs so he went back to his original job but for Agency *B* for the same large company.
And now tonight he found out he is getting a contract with the large company so he will no longer be an agency worker :happydance:

If you understand that then you are amazing haha!

xXx

He has worked for the same company for 18 months but because his job role has changed and his contract has changed he hasn't worked in this job role long enough to get paternity pay.

We are trying to save as much as possible from now until the baby is here and Hubby will be taking as much holiday time off as he can.

Child tax credit and Working tax credit is based on your earnings for the previous year so when it comes to updating your tax credits (when you have had baby) it will be based on April 2010-April 2011.

xXx

I work two jobs currently, so earn quite a bit, but obviously when im off on ML i will only get SMP, then when i go back i will only be going to one of them. How will this affect me do you think? Is there anything you can do so they can look at your current circumstances?

As I think I've read someone else say, you can ask them to base this year on your estimate for next year however your estimate has to be as accurate as possible because otherwise they will demand you pay back any over pay and that is the last thing you want!

xXx

I am not convinced that they can do that, as you are still with the same company and its called continuity of service. I would get that checked out.

I shall have to get him to check this out then, thank you!

Basically he was with agency *A* and they had him working for a large company.
Then agency *A* lost their contract with this company.
Agency *B* offered hubby a job as a supervisor for them for the agency workers they had taken over from agency *A* still working for the same large company.
Then Agency *B* had to make cut backs so he went back to his original job but for Agency *B* for the same large company.
And now tonight he found out he is getting a contract with the large company so he will no longer be an agency worker :happydance:

If you understand that then you are amazing haha!

xXx

Yep..thats whats called TUPE (Transfer of undertakings). He has a serious case if he has not been 'Tuped' accross. The law was actually brought about to protect people for EXACTLY that reason i.e. agency staff and the loss of contracts for organisations. (He is NOT allowed to be on a contract that is lesser in benefts pay etc. than the previous one either). I was tell him to get down to the cit advice sharpish! Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->